Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : You only need to pray for ONE minute

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: You only need to pray for ONE minute

Perhaps what stinks most of all is all of our collective opinions.

I happened across this passage this morning and it stood out...

"Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few." -Ecclesiastes 5:2

Chris

2007/3/31 17:00Profile

Re: You only need to pray for ONE minute

We put far too much emphasis on prayer then we do on the name of Jesus which is the power.

Prayer is simple communication with our heavenly Father. Sometimes it can be intense, most times it's just everyday talking as I would another human being.

Prayer is an acknowledgment that we need God, more than our human understanding or wit.

Religious minded Christians make this whole thing so complicating. When we love God with all our heart, we will pray. If we don't pray it's because something has taken the place of our devotion.

Quote:
Our prayers are the most powerful asset we have. Together, we CAN make a difference!

Let me quote this in another way,
Quote:
The Name of Jesus is the most powerful asset we have, Together with the Spirit HE can make a difference!

It's not by might, nor by power but it's by my Spirit sayeth the LORD.

I do hope this organizations motives are in line with the word, I am not against anyone who's intents is to see a move of God.

2007/3/31 17:06

A skunk is a little furry animal

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:

I happened across this passage this morning and it stood out...

"Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few." -Ecclesiastes 5:2

Chris

Chris, this sounds very judgemental (now I'm being rash :-( ).

I often say unwise things, and put my foot in it! You are right thus far.

However, a stink is a stink, and you can't pretend it isn't there, just because you think people are wrong to mention it; or because you have a cold and can't smell it!

It isn't pointing the finger at anyone, just an observation - [i]something[/i] stinks about this "one minute prayer". That is a fact!

Jeannette

2007/3/31 17:16

Re:

Quote:

Compliments wrote:
We put far too much emphasis on prayer then we do on the name of Jesus which is the power.

Prayer is simple communication with our heavenly Father. Sometimes it can be intense, most times it's just everyday talking as I would another human being.

Prayer is an acknowledgment that we need God, more than our human understanding or wit.

Religious minded Christians make this whole thing so complicating. When we love God with all our heart, we will pray. If we don't pray it's because something has taken the place of our devotion.

Quote:
Our prayers are the most powerful asset we have. Together, we CAN make a difference!

Let me quote this in another way,
Quote:
The Name of Jesus is the most powerful asset we have, Together with the Spirit HE can make a difference!

It's not by might, nor by power but it's by my Spirit sayeth the LORD.

I do hope this organizations motives are in line with the word, I am not against anyone who's intents is to see a move of God.

AMEN! Thanks Bro.

Jeannette

2007/3/31 17:18
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: A skunk is a little furry animal

Hi Jeannette.

"It isn't pointing the finger at anyone, just an observation - something stinks about this "one minute prayer". That is a fact!"

I hope though that we are not becomming at SI what Mars Hill was to Athens

[i]For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.[/i]

This came to mind also

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

I wish you, and all, grace and peace.

The world is watching.

Chris

EDIT: Please know that I did not intend to qoute the passage from Ecclesiastes in regards to anyone of you or any comments that have been made in particular. I qouted it because it stood out to me in devotions this morning and it seemed appropriate as a reminder.

2007/3/31 17:29Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Praying

Quote:

Quote:
The world is watching.

Amen

[i]When we are told to pray without ceasing, it seems to many tastes to-day to be somewhat extravagant language. And no doubt that is true. Why should we be concerned to deny it? Measured language and the elegant mean is not the note of the New Testament at least. Mhoen zyan, said the Greek--too much of nothing. But can we love or trust God too much? Christian faith is one that overcomes and commands the world in a passion rather than balances it. It triumphs in a conclusive bliss, it does not play off one part against another. The grace of Christ is not but graciousness of nature, and He does not rule His Church by social act. The peace of God is not the calm of culture, it is not the charm of breeding. Every great forward movement in
Christianity is associated with much that seems academically extravagant.

Erasmus is always shocked with Luther. It is only an outlet of that essential extravagance which makes the paradox of the Cross, and keeps it as the irritant, no less than the life of the world--perhaps because it is the life of the world. There is nothing so abnormal, so unworldly, so supernatural, in human life as prayer, nothing that is more of an instinct, it is true, but also nothing that is less rational among all the things that keep above the level of the silly. The whole Christian life in so far as it is lived from the Cross and by the Cross is rationally an extravagance. For the Cross is the paradox of all things; and the action of the Spirit is the greatest miracle in the world; and yet it is the principle of the world. Paradox is but the expression of that dualism which is the moral foundation of a Christian world. I live who die daily. I live another's life.

To pray without ceasing is not, of course, to engage in prayer without
break. That is an impossible literalism. True, "They rest not day and night,
saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, who wert, and art, and art to
come." But it is mere poverty of soul to think of this as the iteration of a
doxology. It is deep calling unto deep, eternity greeting eternity. The only
answer to God's eternity is an eternal attitude of prayer.

Nor does the phrase mean that the Church shall use careful means that
the stream and sound of prayer shall never cease to flow at some spots of
the earth, as the altar lamp goes not out. It does not mean the continuous
murmur of the mass following the sun round the world, incessant relays of
adoring priests, and functions going on day and night.

But it means the constant bent and drift of the soul--as the Word which
was from the beginning (John i. 1) was hroe ton Qesn. All the current of its
being set towards Him. It means being "in Christ," being in such a moving,
returning Christ--reposing in this godward, and not merely godlike life. The
note of prayer becomes the habit of the heart, the tone and tension of its
new nature; in such a way that when we are released from the grasp of our
occupations the soul rebounds to its true bent, quest, and even pressure
upon God. It is the soul's habitual appetite and habitual food. A growing
child of God is always hungry. Prayer is not identical with the occasional
act of praying. Like the act of faith, it is a whole life thought of as
action. It is the life of faith in its purity, in its vital action. Eating
and speaking are necessary to life, but they are not living. And how hidden