Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great men of Faith without any money

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

iansmith said

Quote:
Maybe what Jesus said about a rich man getting into heaven in the bible isn't up to interpretation as many modern pastors would try to imply.

"Ye can't serve God and mammon."

2007/3/31 6:46
psalm1

Re:

Brothers and sisters, I would like to add that it is unethical for us as believers to have no money. This is irresposable.Excluding the sick or bedfast or widows, orphans,etc, the average ,healthy believer that is activee in society must be a responsible citizen.If you work,drive a car, operate a household,etc. and dont have a reserve you place undo stress on those around you.Friends ,family, neighbors, brethern,etc. will have to bail you out of problems. Im not talking in specifics here . I know we hit obsticals beyond our control. we need each other. Im talking about a mindset , that we need to seek to have reserve capital on hand{of course if possible]To meet the needs of others. So being broke all the time , to me , strikes against or testamony for God. Make sense?...David

2007/3/31 14:08Profile
JennRich

Alabama

Re:

Quote:

psalm1 wrote:
Brothers and sisters, I would like to add that it is unethical for us as believers to have no money. This is irresposable.Excluding the sick or bedfast or widows, orphans,etc, the average ,healthy believer that is activee in society must be a responsible citizen.If you work,drive a car, operate a household,etc. and dont have a reserve you place undo stress on those around you.Friends ,family, neighbors, brethern,etc. will have to bail you out of problems. Im not talking in specifics here . I know we hit obsticals beyond our control. we need each other. Im talking about a mindset , that we need to seek to have reserve capital on hand{of course if possible]To meet the needs of others. So being broke all the time , to me , strikes against or testamony for God. Make sense?...David

Yes. . .it is to God's glory for a child of His to work hard, earn money, and "leave an inheritance to his children's children" (Prov. 13:22). Of course he must constantly examine his heart to see if money is his god, but it's by no means "sinful" for a man to have earthly wealth, as long as he's obedient to God with it.

Money can be a god in the lives of the wealthy -- but also in the lives of the poor! They may idolize and covet wealth, even if they don't have it. I know someone who has very little money, but who thinks about it/talks about it all the time.

2007/3/31 14:20Profile

Re:

Santana said:

Quote:
If a man loves God over money than there IS NO problem with having it. That's between Jesus and the rich young ruler.

"And all that believed were together, and had all things commmon; And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need." (ACTS 2:44-45)

"Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold. And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need." (ACTS 4:34-35)

2007/4/1 12:57

Re:

Brother,

I believe only the Holy Spirit can teach you the truth on this subject. But you need to seek God and beg Him for wisdom and revelation on the mattter. Don't seek knowledge for its own sake. Discernment in the kingdom of God is not based on amassed knowledge and experience, but on complete reliance upon the Spirit of Christ for all things at all times. Hence, we needn't anyone else teach us--and even if men do teach us, and teach us the truth, we still need to go and search the Scriptures for ourselves and seek the Lord on every matter. Let's not put too much trust in our own understanding--for the carnal mind doesn't understand the things of the Spirit (1 Cor. 2:14), and it is very easy to fall into trusting our own human understanding, and think we are justified. Brother, if we die, and Christ lives in us, will we conjecture about such things? Will we ask for the opinions of men when we have the Spirit of God teach us concerning all things (1 Jn. 2:27)? We need to abide in Him to know, to be able to distinguish between right and wrong. There have been many downs in my walk with Christ, when I wasn't near Him, when I didn't seek Him with my whole heart, when there was some idol in my life that I bowed to, when I allowed the carnal man to thrive and take over me--it was in those times that a veil was upon my mind, and no knowledge, no meditation, no method or shortcut on earth could help me penetrate into the mystery of godliness. It was only when I would confess my sins, rending my heart before the Lord in my utter helplessness, and be as a little child before God--knowing nothing of my own--when I would step before Him in prayer and in the humility His grace induces--it wasn't until then that the Spirit would give me freedom in knowing the truth. And this was grace, brother! It wasn't anything of my own doing.

My prayer is that we may never depart from that state: that we may always abide in the vine, for without Christ we can do nothing.

Peace be with you,
Slavyan

2007/4/1 14:15

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy