SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Have we really given Him control?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
pastorfrin

Have we really given Him control?

Brothers and Sisters in the Lord,

Luke 5:1–16
SO it was, as the multitude pressed about Him to hear the word of God, that He stood by the Lake of Gennesaret, 2and saw two boats standing by the lake; but the fishermen had gone from them and were washing their nets. 3Then He got into one of the boats, which was Simon’s, and asked him to put out a little from the land. And He sat down and taught the multitudes from the boat.
4When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, “Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.”
5But Simon answered and said to Him, “Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.” 6And when they had done this, they caught a great number of fish, and their net was breaking. 7So they signaled to their partners in the other boat to come and help them. And they came and filled both the boats, so that they began to sink. 8When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus’ knees, saying, “Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!”
9For he and all who were with him were astonished at the catch of fish which they had taken; 10and so also were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, who were partners with Simon. And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid. From now on you will catch men.” 11So when they had brought their boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him.

Some questions to consider.

1. Have we given Him control of our vessel? Vs. 3

2. Have we obeyed His Word, even when we may have just finished what HE is asking us to do? Vs. 4-5

3. Has His Word caused us to see Him and His bountiful provision for those who are His? Vs.6-8

4. Has seeing Him given us a sense of our sinful state and need for forgiveness? Vs. 8

5. Has seeing Him caused us to forsake All and follow Him? Vs. 11

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

Add to this:

Joel 2:12-14
Therefore also now, saith the Lord, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: [13] And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the Lord your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. [14] Who knoweth if he will return and repent, and leave a blessing behind him; even a meat offering and a drink offering unto the Lord your God?

Would this not be the answer for the church today, to simply lay our hearts out before the
Lord, with fasting and with weeping, and with mourning for our sinful state, to rend our hearts and not our garments?

Our Lord is not looking for another program, He is not looking for some outward manifestation from us, no more gimmicks or show church, we simply need to lay our hearts bare before Him, after all “who knoweth” our condition better than He.

Rend your hearts and not your garments, saith the Lord!

2007/3/30 9:32Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Have we really given Him control?

Quote:
Would this not be the answer for the church today, to simply lay our hearts out before the Lord, with fasting and with weeping, and with mourning for our sinful state, to rend our hearts and not our garments? Our Lord is not looking for another program, He is not looking for some outward manifestation from us, no more gimmicks or show church, we simply need to lay our hearts bare before Him, after all “who knoweth” our condition better than He.

I can give a hearty amen! Oh folks, lets pray for revival simply asking God to glorify His name in the earth again. We don't need to know beforehand how He will do it or try to dictate to Him how it should be done, we just need to cry out for His kingdom to come and His will to be done, regardless of the cost.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/3/30 11:09Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

Yes Bro. Ron,
Regardless of the cost, To Love 'HIM' with All of our heart, All of our soul, All of our mind, and All of our strength.

In His Love

pastorfrin

2007/3/30 12:01Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Ron's: We don't need to know beforehand how He will do it or try to dictate to Him how it should be done, we just need to cry out for His kingdom to come and His will to be done, regardless of the cos

I think Ron (InTheLight) is right here. We cannot try to duplicate something God has done in the past. God is the 'Living God' and living is a picture of a flowing river. Too often we set up altars to things God once did or the last revelation we had of Him. God is constantly moving us along in real time. We need to pray for God to move and do what He wants to do and then get ready to accept what He does. Almost like at times we get so arrogant we are the experts telling God how to send His revival. We need to allow God to be God and stop trying to set up the how's, where's, and when's and the who's. I have had revival come in my life more this year than ever and funny thing is- it don't feel at all like a revival. It feels like a massive chastening. But my mind is changing about things and getting in step with His wisdom.

2007/3/30 12:13Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I have had revival come in my life more this year than ever and funny thing is- it don't feel at all like a revival. It feels like a massive chastening. But my mind is changing about things and getting in step with His wisdom.

This is an encouragment because I have been experiencing the same thing. Definitely a lot of pruning going on, especially in the area of New Testament [i]knowledge[/i] verses New Testament [i]reality[/i] in my day to day life. It seems we are being prepared for something, God has fruit in mind...
I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit...I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing...If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
(Joh 15:1-8)
In Christ,

Ron

2007/3/30 15:24Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: Revival

Quote:

InTheLight wrote:
Quote:
I have had revival come in my life more this year than ever and funny thing is- it don't feel at all like a revival. It feels like a massive chastening. But my mind is changing about things and getting in step with His wisdom.

This is an encouragment because I have been experiencing the same thing. Definitely a lot of pruning going on, especially in the area of New Testament [i]knowledge[/i] verses New Testament [i]reality[/i] in my day to day life. It seems we are being prepared for something, God has fruit in mind...
I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit...I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing...If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
(Joh 15:1-8)
In Christ,

Ron

Have any of you been noticing an increase of trials, or depth of trials of late?

Everyone Christian I know seems to be under extra stress just now, and I can't help but wonder at it...you know, how close are we getting, etc.

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/3/31 0:09Profile
pastorfrin

Re: More compassion for the lost

Is revival a work that the Lord does in the heart of each individual believer?

I have experienced in the last year what many would not call revival, but it is. Let me explain.
As some of you know I had surgery in September
of 2006 to remove tumors from both of my kidneys.
For quite so time before I was diagnosed with kidney cancer I had been asking the Lord to give me more compassion.
Compassion for the lost, for those struggling with sin, for the broken hearted, for those who are suffering from disease, for the poor and hungry, for humanity as a whole.
After surgery my prayer was answered.
I cannot think about the lost without breaking, those who are sick I can definitly relate to. The broken hearted, oh yes.
You can say the Lord purged my branches and the
result has been the fruit of compassion.
What I am saying is this, revival in our heart comes from compassion being placed by the Lord into ones heart. No, not mans compassion but the Lord's. How, by the process of purging and I praise God for the process. The process of my heart being laid bare before Him, which only He can perform, and as it lay there He imparted His compassion.
Did it feel like revival, Yes, the tears are still flowing.
Praise His Holy Name!

In His Love

pastorfrin

2007/3/31 18:59Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Have any of you been noticing an increase of trials, or depth of trials of late?

Yes, very severe and spiritually debilitating. And they have become exacerbated by my neglecting to soak my soul in God's Word. Staying right with God in the midst of fiery trials requires great discipline...discipline I still have yet to learn.

2007/3/31 19:21Profile

Re:

Has it is possible to give God control over anything?

2007/3/31 20:20
pastorfrin

Re:

paulmcg1 asked:

Quote:
Has it is possible to give God control over anything?

Like this: from the hymn, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

"When I survey the wondrous cross, On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss And pour contempt on all my pride.
Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul,
my love, my all."

When you truly grasp His Love for you, surrender
to Him is Normal.

In His Love

pastorfrin

2007/4/1 17:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy