SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Overcoming sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
RobertW
Member



Joined: 2004/2/12
Posts: 4636
Independence, Missouri

 Re: Overcoming sin

Hi John173,

Quote:
Luke 14:-2726 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. 27 And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.



I dealt with this a few years ago here with a young teenaged brother who was still living at home. And for the sake of many some who are still younger and may misunderstand this verse I hope to comment. The word for hate here is to "love less" as in "love them less than God." You are commanded to love your enemies in scripture and to be obedient as children to your parents. Natural affection is normal to human beings. Love for parents, children, and family. So the issue is one of priority. We have responsibilities to these people in this verse and they are God-given. If any man provide not for his own household he has denied the faith and is worse than an infidel, etc.

Just wanted to add that.




_________________
Robert Wurtz II

 2007/3/30 7:52Profile
death2self
Member



Joined: 2006/9/28
Posts: 192
Washington DC area

 Re:

I have seen Jesus rescue me from all manner of sin. When I first came to him, it dealt with the outer things, which for me were things like gluttony, lust, smoking, and incessantly watching TV. As the conviction has come and I've repented and renounced the sin, Jesus has stepped in and broke it. What an awesome God we serve.

As the walk has intensified, He has been dealing with the attitudes of heart (i.e. the hidden pride, the inverted pride (which is still pride nonetheless), complaining, contentiousness, a natural bent toward legalism and other such things that sometimes are connected to the pride. I'm seeing that Jesus is breaking these things as well.

What a strong deliverer we serve, mighty to save...


_________________
Ed Pugh

 2007/3/30 7:56Profile
jamccor
Member



Joined: 2006/1/5
Posts: 263
New Jersey

 Re:

I must say that I very much still struggle with pride. It seems like every day I get into a shouting match with my wife over the littlest things.We both work very stressful jobs, but I have not been able to tame my tongue.I have prayed and prayed and talked to my wife about it, but my particular sin seems to be having the last word with my wife and "not being controlled" by her. When I saw John173 post this:

Luke 9:23-24 Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me. 24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.

it all made sense. I was not carrying my cross.
I just wish I could cut off my pride without GOD having to keep me in the wilderness much longer.

GOD Bless
John


_________________
John

 2007/3/30 10:27Profile









 Re: self-righteousness

Quote:

rookie wrote:
Rom. 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Paul is teaching that the jews of his time were zealous for God. But they did not understand what Scriptures taught. Instead they were ignorant of God's righteousness, and in seeking to establish their own righteousness, they did not submit to the ways that God works in man...

You see Jesus was not condemned by the law given on Mount Sinai but the jews condemned Jesus by their own written law, the Talmud. In this book, the Jews wrote all kinds of rules to be followed. If they followed these rules then they would not break the law of God given to them on Mount Sinai. So as Paul teaches, they were seeking to be self righteous by obeying the rules they themselves established for themselves. This is what Paul is pointing to when he writes...

and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

Then Paul points to the only way one would not be ignorant in the righteousness of God and that way is...

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Christ gives to us the Counselor who is able to lead us in the ways of righteousness. The Holy Spirit is freely given. In His faithfulness He strives against our flesh. If we submit to Him He will lead us into the knowledge of God's righteousness that is contained by Christ.

Walk with Christ, He is our High Priest. He is able to heal us of any type of unrighteousness.

In Christ
Jeff


Thank you for this comment, Jeff

However you seem to have completely missed the point I was making.

You said:[i][color=000066]Paul is teaching that the jews of his time were zealous for God. But they did not understand what Scriptures taught. Instead they were ignorant of God's righteousness, and in seeking to establish their own righteousness, they did not submit to the ways that God works in man...[/color][/i]

You write as if you imagine it was only the Jews of that time who were guilty of that kind of self-righteousness, but this isn't so. If you condemn the Jews of Paul's day you also have to condemn the Church in our day. Or at least that part of the Church that still cares about righteousness at all :-(

The point I was making was that [b][i]we who are the most earnest and zealous to do the Lord's will can easily fall into exactly the same trap as they did![/i][/b]

Its nothing to do with which "Law" we seek to obey but [i]the source[/i] of our "righteousness" - self or the Lord. Self righteousness isn't merely the usual idea of proud pharisaism but simply [i][b]trying to obey God in our own strength.[/b][/i]

We can ALL "go about to establish our own righteousness" and refuse to "submit to the righteousness of God" - without even realising that's what we are doing!

Submitting to God's righteousness means giving up our own righteousness.

Which deeply hurts our pride in our own earnest attempts, and imagined achievements in pleasing God!

In Him

Jeannette

 2007/3/30 16:07









 Re: being left ot oneself!

Quote:

rookie wrote:
Sister Jeannette wrote:

Quote:
Instead, to my astonishment He calmly said: "What do you expect? That's what you are like left to yourself!"


Might I suggest a Scripture which points to this testimony...

Romans 8
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

When the Spirit spoke to your spirit, " That's what you are like left to yourself!"

I believe He was pointing out to you that your were not abiding in Him during that day. The result of not abiding in Him produces the fruits of the flesh. One will always fail when one does not submit to being led by the Spirit that is in us.

God Bless
In Christ
Jeff


I was also thinking of King Hezekiah and the Babylonian emissaries who visited him after he was sick.

It says in 2Chronicles 32:30 f [i]"And Hezekiah prospered in all his works . 31 Howbeit in the business of the ambassadors of the princes of Babylon, who sent unto him to enquire of the wonder that was done in the land, [b]God left him, to try him, that he might know all that was in his heart[/b]."[/i]

The Lord knew what was in his heart, but Hezekiah needed to know it too! He was, no doubt quite unconsciously, taking some of the glory for himself, so the Lord allowed him to make a big mistake to show him that he was nothing, in and of himself!

In Him

Jeannette

 2007/3/30 16:21









 Re:

Quote:

Dan777 wrote:
Doug:

You hit the nail on the head! I too was struggling with sin. Sin and repent, sin and repent, sin and repent. That cycle went on for years!

I had read romans 6 many times and knew there was more to what Paul was saying than what I was getting out it. Then I heard Andrew Wommack teach on it and my eyes were opened!

I do not struggle with sin anymore. Christ is my righteousness! I am free, and free indeed, because the Son has made me free!

Here's another good verse to grasp; Col 1:13 "Who hath delivered us out of the power (authority) of darkness and translated us into the Kingdom of Gods dear Son." Satan has no jurisdiction, authority, or right to come against us. We are NOT in his kingdom anymore!

We are also delivered from sickness, disease and infirmity! 1 Peter 2:24!

Delivered from sin, the devil, and sicknesses!! Jesus did NOT do a shoddy job when He redeemed us. He went the EXTRA MILE! - EXTRA THOUSAND MILES!!!

My days are spent in joy, rejoicing and singing praise to Him, My Blessed Redeemer!!

Blessings,

Dan

Totally delivered!


Amen Dan, what a great testimony!

I don't worry or beat myself over my sins any more. Not because I'm now perfect or perfectly abiding in Christ every moment, but because He has delivered me from guilt and self-condemnation.

I can afford to relax now, and trust the Lord to keep me straight, because indeed He IS my righteousness, so the constant worry and stress of trying to do it myself is over!

It doesn't mean there aren't battles, there are. But now its possible to fight FROM victory, the victory of Jesus, instead of the endless, hopeless struggle to [i]attain[/i] victory!

Love in Him

Jeannette

Blessings

jeannette

 2007/3/30 16:27









 Re:

Quote:

death2self wrote:
I have seen Jesus rescue me from all manner of sin. When I first came to him, it dealt with the outer things, which for me were things like gluttony, lust, smoking, and incessantly watching TV. As the conviction has come and I've repented and renounced the sin, Jesus has stepped in and broke it. What an awesome God we serve.

As the walk has intensified, He has been dealing with the attitudes of heart (i.e. the hidden pride, the inverted pride (which is still pride nonetheless), complaining, contentiousness, a natural bent toward legalism and other such things that sometimes are connected to the pride. I'm seeing that Jesus is breaking these things as well.

What a strong deliverer we serve, mighty to save...


AMEN Brother!

 2007/3/30 16:29
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4792


 Re:

Sis wrote:

Quote:
You write as if you imagine it was only the Jews of that time who were guilty of that kind of self-righteousness, but this isn't so. If you condemn the Jews of Paul's day you also have to condemn the Church in our day. Or at least that part of the Church that still cares about righteousness at all



One of the first threads that I started 3 years ago spoke to this very thought. The thread compared the Talmud and today's Dispensational Theology. Both promote self righteousness, almost in the same ways...


Quote:
Its nothing to do with which "Law" we seek to obey but the source of our "righteousness" - self or the Lord. Self righteousness isn't merely the usual idea of proud pharisaism but simply trying to obey God in our own strength.



Job 36:

5 “Behold, God is mighty, but despises no one;
He is mighty in strength of understanding.
6 He does not preserve the life of the wicked,
But gives justice to the oppressed.
7 He does not withdraw His eyes from the righteous;
But they are on the throne with kings,
For He has seated them forever,
And they are exalted.
8 And if they are bound in fetters,
Held in the cords of affliction,
9 Then He tells them their work and their transgressions—
That they have acted defiantly.
10 He also opens their ear to instruction,
And commands that they turn from iniquity.
11 If they obey and serve Him,
They shall spend their days in prosperity,
And their years in pleasures.
12 But if they do not obey,
They shall perish by the sword,
And they shall die without knowledge.
13 “But the hypocrites in heart store up wrath;
They do not cry for help when He binds them.
14 They die in youth,
And their life ends among the perverted persons.
15 He delivers the poor in their affliction,
And opens their ears in oppression.
16 “Indeed He would have brought you out of dire distress,
Into a broad place where there is no restraint;
And what is set on your table would be full of richness.

The Jews had these words and so do we...what do these words teach us about how God works in man?

In Christ
Jeff


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2007/4/3 2:43Profile









 Re: Job 36

Quote:

rookie wrote:
Job 36:

5 “Behold, God is mighty, but despises no one;
He is mighty in strength of understanding.
6 He does not preserve the life of the wicked,
But gives justice to the oppressed.
7 He does not withdraw His eyes from the righteous;
But they are on the throne with kings,
For He has seated them forever,
And they are exalted.
8 And if they are bound in fetters,
Held in the cords of affliction,
9 Then He tells them their work and their transgressions—
That they have acted defiantly.
10 He also opens their ear to instruction,
And commands that they turn from iniquity.
11 If they obey and serve Him,
They shall spend their days in prosperity,
And their years in pleasures.
12 But if they do not obey,
They shall perish by the sword,
And they shall die without knowledge
13 “But the hypocrites in heart store up wrath;
They do not cry for help when He binds them.
14 They die in youth,
And their life ends among the perverted persons.
15 He delivers the poor in their affliction,
And opens their ears in oppression.
16 “Indeed He would have brought you out of dire distress,
Into a broad place where there is no restraint;
And what is set on your table would be full of richness.

The Jews had these words and so do we...what do these words teach us about how God works in man?

In Christ
Jeff


Hi again Jeff
You said
Quote:
The Jews had these words and so do we...what do these words teach us about how God works in man?


I notice that this is in Elihu's speech. The rest of Job's friends didn't help him much and I don't think this speech did either.

Was Elihu right in what he said? Were his words any more helpful to Job than what the others said? I don't think so. Imagine the effect of this speech on someone who had just lost everything, including ALL his ten children, in a series of terrible accidents; and then his "friends" blamed him for his suffering!

Job was already emotionally battered by his dreadful losses, the condemnation of his friends and the lack of understanding of his wife. [i][b]No-one had the answer to his real need, or to his (absolutely true) claim that he was innocent of gross sin and that GOD was a righteous Judge.[/b][/i]

Indeed the Book of Job does teach us much about God's working in man, especially the question "Why do good men suffer"?

It also teaches us that, even if we have our theology right, (which Job's friends didn't!), it is only when the LORD HIMSELF speaks to our heart that we are helped. I find that very very challenging personally, because I am far too quick to jump in and try to help someone with what I think is wise counsel, which doesn't help them one bit (even if I'm right):oops:

We may not get all the answers to our questions (Job never knew what was happening behind the scenes between God and Satan), but we get the answer to our deepest needs.

That's what Job as a whole teaches me anyway...
[edit, added]

What does your quote teach you about God's workings?

Love in Him

Jeannette



 2007/4/3 9:11





©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy