Discussion Forum : General Topics : Overcoming sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
John173

Omaha

Overcoming sin

My dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

Before coming to find this wonderful community of saints I had just about given up hope in the possibility of having personal victory over sin. My testimony has been one of perpetual repentance and backsliding. I was guilty of using the grace of God as a license to sin, or at least, I used the knowledge that He would forgive me to give myself permission to do sinful activity. Pretty much the same thing either way.

Since coming here to SI, God has opened my eyes to many deceptions and errors in my thinking. He has also set me free from several key areas of sin that I have been chained to my entire life! Oh that the truth, for it is truth that set me free, would be boldly proclaimed from the pulpits!

There are several scriptures that God has used to deliver me from bondeage that I would like to share.

[color=000099]Luke 14:-2726 "If anyone comes to Me and [b]does not hate[/b] his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and [b]his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.[/b] 27 And [b]whoever does not bear his cross[/b] and come after Me [b]cannot be My disciple.[/b]

Luke 9:23-24 Then He said to them all, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, [b]and take up his cross daily[/b], and follow Me. 24 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it.

Romans 6:1-7 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that [b]as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?[/b] 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that [b]our old man was crucified with Him,[/b] that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For [b]he who has died has been freed from sin.[/b]

Galatians 2:20 [b]I have been crucified with Christ[/b]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Philippians 3:3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and [b]have no confidence in the flesh.[/b]

1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to [b]cleanse us from all unrighteousness.[/b] [/color]

This last verse is the capper. I have always hung my hat on the first half of this verse, OH but the second half! HE will cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness. When I began to understand this verse I was able to go before the throne of grace and lay my sin at the foot of the cross and for the first time trust Him to cleanse, not just the stain but the source.

I know I am not the only Christian here who failed to gain victory over some sin in his life. For those of you who may have struggled for a time with sin, but have now been set free, would you care to share your testimony of what the Lord showed you personally that set you free? I'm not asking for specific details as to what sin you had been bound by, these details are between you and God...and He's forgetten what they were anyway!

Who's to say who will read these testimonies and discover the freedom found in Him for themselves. These threads get read by many many more than just members.

God bless all of you richly for upholding the Word of Truth.

Your redeemed by the blood of the Lamb brother,

Doug

2007/3/29 0:17Profile
John173

Omaha

Re: Overcoming sin

I just read this quote from Zac Poonen. The whole post can be read [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15878&forum=34&4]here[/url].

Those who take every word of God seriously will [b]mourn over their sin, each time they fail.[/b] Thus they will find the comfort(strength) of the Holy Spirit, and be led into a life of victory,"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."(Mt.5:4). [b]Here then is the secret of victory: Take every Word of God seriously and mourn over your sin whenever you come short of God's standards. Thus you will prove that you fear God - and the fear of God is the beginning of that wisdom that leads to a victorious life.[/b] God looks with grace and favour at those who are broken and contrite in their spirit and who tremble at His Word. "To this one I will look, declares the Lord, to him who is humble and contrite of spirit, and who trembles at My Word" (Isa.66:2).

This points out a key ingredient that the Holy Spirit has been working into my heart. I failed to recognize its importance until reading this quote.

In His Love,

Doug

2007/3/29 0:29Profile
rookie

Brother Doug asked:

Quote:
I know I am not the only Christian here who failed to gain victory over some sin in his life. For those of you who may have struggled for a time with sin, but have now been set free, would you care to share your testimony of what the Lord showed you personally that set you free?

I have testified of this before...in other times here at SI.

I was leading a mens group at my church. I was striving to become an assistant pastor at this church. I was attending one of Calvary Chapel's bible schools. All these things I coveted.

One day a new man shows up at church and he turns out to be a wonderful mature brother in Christ. Soon my pastor comes to me and tells me that he is replacing me with this new brother in the men's ministry. I stewed on this for about 3 days. I was bitter. I thought to myself, "well when he dies I'll get the job back." You see this man also was recently diagnosed with ALS disease.

Well about 6 months go by and my friendship with this man continued to grow. Again, he was a wonderful man. Then one day at work, the Lord spoke those words to me, "well when he dies I'll get the job back." Then the Lord told me to confess this at the prayer meeting that night. I struggled with this all day long. I asked Him, what good can come of this? Yet He would not let me go...

So I struggled with this up to the moment that I confessed this sin before my brother and all those who were at the prayer meeting that night. There was much crying and peace that came through this experience. I learned about the blessedness of brokeness and humility before my brothers. This lesson also taught me to recognize the sins of pride, coventousness, and striving in ministry.

So everytime the flesh begins to surface in this way, I recognize it for what it is. The Lord has taught me to love in a different way...

In Christ
Jeff

2007/3/29 1:25Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

I think victory comes when I am on my face in prayer. When I see my great need for him.
In his love
charlene

2007/3/29 16:05Profile

Quote:
I know I am not the only Christian here who failed to gain victory over some sin in his life. For those of you who may have struggled for a time with sin, but have now been set free, would you care to share your testimony of what the Lord showed you personally that set you free? I'm not asking for specific details as to what sin you had been bound by, these details are between you and God...and He's forgetten what they were anyway!

Dear Bro Doug

I wrestled with this problem of sin for many years. My distress was more due to a neurotic need to be free from guilt than any specific problem with a specific sin.

...Except that one of the most subtle and insidious sins for over-sensitive souls like (I guess) you and me, and probably others here, is [i]guilt[/i]! Because guilt is a refusal of "the Lord our righteousness".

I was driven to seek perfection with a desperate desire, yet never felt I had attained, or could.

I heard "holiness" teaching, and the message of "entire sanctification", and believed it. But all it brought to my heart was condemnation - to such an extent as to doubt my new birth.

I strove and strove to be righteous, to attain perfection, only to find either pride or despair according to much or little success there seemed. Jesus' words, such as "unless your righteousness exceed that of the Pharisees..." and "be pefect as your Father in heaven is perfect" were frightening. The Pharisees standards were so high, how could anyone attain to anything even more than that? And as for [i]perfection[/i]...!!!

After a very long time I eventually began to "get it". I don't have to be righteous! I don't have to be ANYTHING!!!

Romans 10:3-8 [i][color=000099] 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own crighteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.
5 For Moses writes about the righteousness which is of the law, “The man who does those things shall live by them.” 6 But the righteousness of faith speaks in this way, [b]“Do not say in your heart, ‘Who will ascend into heaven?’” (that is, to bring Christ down from above) 7 or, “ ‘Who will descend into the abyss?’ ” (that is, to bring Christ up from the dead)[/b]. 8 But what does it say? [b]“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” [/b](that is, the word of faith which we preach): [/color][/i]

HE is our righteousness! I have stopped asking the Lord to make me perfect, or a better person. That only leads to self-righteousness - even if the Lord Himself would do it. What He does instead is to put Christ in us, and get us out of the way.

I no longer despair if I fail. What else can I expect from [i]self[/i]? But it doesn't matter any more how righteous, or unrighteous I am. Jesus is living in me and HE is the Righteous One! If I fail its because I have tried to take over the reins of my life again. And its [i]that[/i] I need to repent of!

Love in Him

Jeannette

2007/3/29 19:03

Re:

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:
HE is our righteousness! I have stopped asking the Lord to make me perfect, or a better person. That only leads to self-righteousness - even if the Lord Himself would do it. What He does instead is to put Christ in us, and get us out of the way.

I no longer despair if I fail. What else can I expect from [i]self[/i]? But it doesn't matter any more how righteous, or unrighteous I am. Jesus is living in me and HE is the Righteous One! If I fail its because I have tried to take over the reins of my life again. And its [i]that[/i] I need to repent of!

There was one experience, while working in a nursing home, that was a huge lesson on this:

I was convicted of a very wrong attitude to an especially difficult, and downright nasty patient, (his favourite expression was "You f.... c...).

This particular day he was even more difficult than usual, (unlike many of the folks in the home he wasn't confused and knew exactly what he was doing) and I felt I almost despised him.

On getting home I felt really ashamed of my wrong attitude, and prayed expecting the Lord to grant me repentance.

Instead, to my astonishment He calmly said: "What do you expect? That's what you are like left to yourself!"

He WOULDN'T EVEN ALLOW ME TO REPENT! (Understand what I'm saying here) Because my "repentance" would have been a self-indulgent thing. In truth, I was merely sorry and ashamed of letting down my [i]own[/i] standards - a kind of inverted pride.

Jeannette

2007/3/29 19:23
Dovie

Arizona

Re:

Charlene.........I have been praying for someone to pray with. If you would like to email I would be happy to reply and get acquainted. We are both is Arizona.

2007/3/29 21:47Profile
rookie

Re:

Rom. 10:1 Brethren, my heart’s desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. 2 For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God’s righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Paul is teaching that the jews of his time were zealous for God. But they did not understand what Scriptures taught. Instead they were ignorant of God's righteousness, and in seeking to establish their own righteousness, they did not submit to the ways that God works in man...

You see Jesus was not condemned by the law given on Mount Sinai but the jews condemned Jesus by their own written law, the Talmud. In this book, the Jews wrote all kinds of rules to be followed. If they followed these rules then they would not break the law of God given to them on Mount Sinai. So as Paul teaches, they were seeking to be self righteous by obeying the rules they themselves established for themselves. This is what Paul is pointing to when he writes...

and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God.

Then Paul points to the only way one would not be ignorant in the righteousness of God and that way is...

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Christ gives to us the Counselor who is able to lead us in the ways of righteousness. The Holy Spirit is freely given. In His faithfulness He strives against our flesh. If we submit to Him He will lead us into the knowledge of God's righteousness that is contained by Christ.

Walk with Christ, He is our High Priest. He is able to heal us of any type of unrighteousness.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/3/30 1:43Profile
rookie

Re:

Sister Jeannette wrote:

Quote:
Instead, to my astonishment He calmly said: "What do you expect? That's what you are like left to yourself!"

Might I suggest a Scripture which points to this testimony...

Romans 8
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

When the Spirit spoke to your spirit, " That's what you are like left to yourself!"

I believe He was pointing out to you that your were not abiding in Him during that day. The result of not abiding in Him produces the fruits of the flesh. One will always fail when one does not submit to being led by the Spirit that is in us.

God Bless
In Christ
Jeff

2007/3/30 1:52Profile
Dan777

Doug:

You hit the nail on the head! I too was struggling with sin. Sin and repent, sin and repent, sin and repent. That cycle went on for years!

I had read romans 6 many times and knew there was more to what Paul was saying than what I was getting out it. Then I heard Andrew Wommack teach on it and my eyes were opened!

I do not struggle with sin anymore. Christ is my righteousness! I am free, and free indeed, because the Son has made me free!

Here's another good verse to grasp; Col 1:13 "Who hath delivered us out of the power (authority) of darkness and translated us into the Kingdom of Gods dear Son." Satan has no jurisdiction, authority, or right to come against us. We are NOT in his kingdom anymore!

We are also delivered from sickness, disease and infirmity! 1 Peter 2:24!

Delivered from sin, the devil, and sicknesses!! Jesus did NOT do a shoddy job when He redeemed us. He went the EXTRA MILE! - EXTRA THOUSAND MILES!!!

My days are spent in joy, rejoicing and singing praise to Him, My Blessed Redeemer!!

Blessings,

Dan

Totally delivered!

2007/3/30 5:51Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy