SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Pre Adamic Civilization

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
john1140

A Sister in Christ from Michigan

Pre Adamic Civilization

Brothers and Sisters,
Last Sunday at church the topic of a pre-adamic civilization came up in conversation. My pastor says that he beleives there was a civilization before Adam was created- I do not, and in my opinion, it is an affront to who God is and His word. I would like to know what some of you think becasue I am not well versed or studied in this area. :-?

2007/3/27 13:17Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Pre Adamic Civilization

If it's not in the bible (edit: and discernable through the senses or by scientific method) it's purely conjecture... that isn't to say that God couldn't have created amazing and numerous things that we cannot even comprehend -because he probably has.

Are humans the only life in the universe, we may not know, but we do know that we are the apple of His eye! There are a lot of things that if we don't base on any scripture there is no reason to speculate about them at all, except to try to fathom how amazing our God is!

Honestly, you answer me this, what real relevence does this topic have on your spiritual life today? Would an answer either way impact the way that you walk with Jesus? Would you be more urgent in reaching others with the gospel if you knew there was a civilization before Adam or aliens in outerspace?

I hope you see that these are all not worthy of our most holy calling, to be the salt and the light, to be his ambassadors. Ambassadors deal with international problems involving nations, laws and PEOPLE. When our focus is off of scripture, our focus is off of Jesus and our focus is off of others.

2007/3/27 14:11Profile
john1140

Re:

iansmith,
thank you for responding. Honestly, the issue here is not whether I would be more apt to go out an tell people about Christ if I knew for certain there was a pre adamic civilization, what sense would that make? The speculation has more to do with whether or not I am under the leadership of a false teacher and the potential dangers therein.

2007/3/27 14:16Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I would like to point out that God has destroyed at least two civilizations and left nothing of them standing. When he destroyed Babel he did it with fire and with confusion of language. When he destroyed Noah's generation he destroyed their world with a flood.

Now in Babel, it was said that they had built a tower to the heavens and were proud of their achievements... whats to say that the city that they build wasn't technologically advanced like our own. We will never know, God destroyed it and scattered its people. But we have myths of places like Atlantis that sound strikingly similar to Babel.

Then God destroyed an entire civilization and only spared Noah and his sons... yet Noah was technologically and industrially superior to many in our current generation. Even though his ark was made out of wood, it would have required engineering prowless that very few rival today. It's one thing to build a boat, but to build a boat that big that didn't collapse under it's own weight -you might as well be building a sky scraper. Now what strikes me is that if someone was building a sky scraper in their back yard people would notice... even if they didn't believe in Noah's God they would have been awed by the work he was doing -unless they built amazing structures as well, then they could be blissfully ignorant of it's importance.

Now this is all conjecture, and it's fun to think about but definitely not scriptural or theological and shouldn't be preached in church as fact. These are the thoughts of a young man with a big imagination =p

2007/3/27 14:22Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

john1140,

CS Lewis had a great imagination and was able to intigrate his fantasy worlds with theology and teach generations of children through these analogies in his literature. There's nothing inherently wrong with speculating or having a big imagination... part of having a big imagination is realizing that anything that we can imagine: God is bigger!

Now you are afraid you're under a false teacher... I would encourage you to have him back up his theory with scripture and with other Christian teaching. If there isn't any evidence in the Scripture or in bible teaching church history, then he should at least preface his comments as speculation or personal imagination.

CS Lewis certainly didn't attempt to pass of his Narnia books as Christian Doctrine even though they contained clear elements of Christian teaching, they were novels for enjoyment and the encouragement of imagination. We need to be sure to distinguish between what we THINK about God and what we can KNOW about God through the Scripture and his son Jesus.

2007/3/27 14:27Profile
john1140

Re:

Thanks iansmith,
This response is much more helpful

I know all about having a big imagination...but when it comes to my spiritual development, I do not mess around. I'm sure you can understand that. It's too dangerous and you run the risk of jacking God's people up. So, while this issue may not be a big deal to you or others, it is to me- because I do not want to be in error. It is not something that I worry about because I check everything against the word. I love and serve God first.

2007/3/27 14:35Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I just thought of how your Pastor might be thinking.

Genesis 1:26-28

Quote:
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

But Adam is not specifically mentioned until Genesis 2:19 and in fact the whole creation of man is re-emphasized in Genesis 2:7 [i] And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul[/i].

Now it would be a serious mistake to assume that the men and women that God created in Genesis 1 are different than Adam in Genesis 2.

In Genesis 1, the emphasis is on God's entire creation, Genesis 2 is devoted to the creation of man. Like a textbook, the first chapter sums up all of the chapters of creation briefly, then a later chapter will explain the details of each in a more complete way.

Instead of seeing Genesis 1 as a summary and seeing Genesis 2 as a deeper description of the same event, your Pastor has fallen into the error of thinking that they are two separate events. This is error and is not in line with the orthodox understanding of scripture -or with logical literary understanding of the bible.

2007/3/27 14:55Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

John, unless he is referring to angels in heaven the bible gives no indication that there was a Pre-Adamic civilization. Your pastor taking much liberty and reading past scripture.

2007/3/27 15:44Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

I've heard that devils are actually the spirits of the men and women of this "pre-adamic" destroyed civilization. I read it in a Derek Prince book. Prince was not saying that he believed this theory; it's just one of the many extrabiblical conjectures that try to make heads or tails of who or what demons are.

2007/3/27 16:10Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

The Mormons believe in a pre-existance, maybe it came from them.

2007/3/27 16:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy