Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : the issue of speaking in tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Suord

Ghana, west Africa

the issue of speaking in tongues

i from Ghana,in west africa. can anybody help me to get some scriptures in the Bible that give a clear cut resonse to speaking in tongues.
i want t know weather it is right that everybody can speak tongues in church as a substitute to prayer and delibrately stop when you want to.

2007/3/24 15:48Profile
taco

Re: the issue of speaking in tongues

The main teaching regarding tongues is found in 1 Cor 12-14 (inclusive)

There are also the accounts in acts of actual examples of tongues speaking. Off the top of my head there are Acts ch 2 and 10. The pehenomenan is mentioned a few other places in Acts also.

Then there is the promise given by Christ in Mark 16 that believers will speak in other tongues.

2007/3/24 16:59Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

I've had people tell me that when I'm filled with the Spirit I would speak in tongues and that that was the only way I could know if I was filled with the Spirit. Is that biblical? I've just finished reading through Acts and there are times when it says that people received the Holy Spirit, but they didn't speak in tongues. Didn't Paul say not to seek speaking in tongues?

Just wondering,
Jordan

2007/3/24 18:39Profile
cthom

Re: the issue of speaking in tongues

Here is a fairly clear article on the subject by Zac Poonen that I saw on his church website:
http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/articles.php?display=article07

2007/3/24 20:08Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Hi cthom,

Thanks for the article, I briefly looked at it and I'm looking forward to reading all of it. :-D

Jordan

2007/3/24 20:17Profile

Re:

Quote:
I've just finished reading through Acts and there are times when it says that people received the Holy Spirit, but they didn't speak in tongues

In every instance that the holy Ghost was imparted, they all spoke in tongues. The Eunuch did not speak in tongues because he was not filled with the Spirit, only that he was baptized in water in the name of Jesus at the hand of Philip. Philip was in Samaria previous to his meeting with the Eunuch, and signs and miracles were given at the hand of Philip, but he had no authority to impart the holy Ghost to any of those persons. When Peter and John heard that Samaria received the word of God, they went to Samaria that they might lay hands on them that they might receive the holy Ghost, for He had not yet fallen on none of them, only they were baptized in the name of Jesus.

So the very idea that one receives the holy Ghost before the actual holy Ghost is fallen is foolishness. But as to the idea that one speaks in tongues after one is filled with the holy Ghost, many examples are given in the book of Acts.

Except NO COMPROMISE

2007/3/24 20:33
vico

Re:

Quote:
The Eunuch did not speak in tongues because he was not filled with the Spirit...So the very idea that one receives the holy Ghost before the actual holy Ghost is fallen is foolishness.

was the Eunuch saved then if he did not have the Spirit?

What about this verse?

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

least of all,
~vico

2007/3/24 20:53Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

The questions Paul asks in the passage below are rhetorical, parentheses added.

[color=000066]1 Corinthians 12:27-31 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? [/color][color=006600](NO)[/color][color=000066] Are all prophets? [/color][color=006600](NO)[/color][color=000066] Are all teachers?[/color] [color=006600](NO)[/color] [color=000066]Are all workers of miracles?[/color] [color=006600](NO)[/color][color=000066] 30 Do all have gifts of healings? [/color][color=006600](NO)[/color] [color=000066]Do all speak with tongues?[/color] [color=006600](NO)[/color] [color=000066]Do all interpret?[/color] [color=006600](NO)[/color][color=000066]31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way. [/color]

What do you think? Is speaking in tongues the only way to know if you've received the baptism in the Holy Spirit?

Two false teachings about the baptism in the Holy Spirit exist today. One is that without evidence of tongues you haven't been baptised. The second is that the gifts of the Spirit (including tongues) were dispensed only during the apostolic age and are no longer in effect. Or worse yet, that someone who speaks in tongues today can only do so if demonically possessed! My wife encountered the first one and I encountered the second.

Whatever happened to consulting the Word of God?

In Christ,

Doug

2007/3/24 21:13Profile

Re:

Quote:

John173 wrote:
The questions Paul asks in the passage below are rhetorical, parentheses added.

[color=000066]1 Corinthians 12:27-31 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? [/color][color=006600](NO)[/color][color=000066] Are all prophets? [/color][color=006600](NO)[/color][color=000066] Are all teachers?[/color] [color=006600](NO)[/color] [color=000066]Are all workers of miracles?[/color] [color=006600](NO)[/color][color=000066] 30 Do all have gifts of healings? [/color][color=006600](NO)[/color] [color=000066]Do all speak with tongues?[/color] [color=006600](NO)[/color] [color=000066]Do all interpret?[/color] [color=006600](NO)[/color][color=000066]31 But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way. [/color]

What do you think? Is speaking in tongues the only way to know if you've received the baptism in the Holy Spirit?

Two false teachings about the baptism in the Holy Spirit exist today. One is that without evidence of tongues you haven't been baptised. The second is that the gifts of the Spirit (including tongues) were dispensed only during the apostolic age and are no longer in effect. Or worse yet, that someone who speaks in tongues today can only do so if demonically possessed! My wife encountered the first one and I encountered the second.

Whatever happened to consulting the Word of God?

In Christ,

Doug

True.

I think there is a great danger of arguing from particular example or examples of things in Scripture to "prove" that they have to always happen that way.

No one seems to insist that those who are filled with the Spirit prophesy as well as speak in tongues. Yet that happened in at least two accounts.

Why should the Holy Spirit be pinned down to work in exactly the same way on every occasion? How dare we try to put the Lord in a box!

I know one group, (otherwise pretty "sound" and sensible) who insist (through a misunderstanding of what Paul is actually meaning in 1Corinthians 14:2 and verses 14-18)that interpretation of tongues is always prayer or worship, never prophecy! If someone gives an utterence in tongues in one of their meetings they will only accept prayer as a valid interpretation, and will stop anyone who gives a prophecy as interpretation.

I once met someone who seemed to have a genuine gift of tongues who knew in herself that she wasn't yet born again.

I received this gift some time after an experience of the Spirit. And then only because the Lord asked me if I was willing! (I wasn't at first, then realised that if someone you love offers you a gift it is very rude and insulting to say "no fear, I don't want it!" :oops:)

In Him

Jeannette

2007/3/24 21:32
jeffutah

Ogden Utah USA

Re:

:-) what a great article on the subject of tongues,
it has always been a struggle for me to get a hold of the truth on that subject there are so many kooks out there that use tongues as launching pad for so many ridiculous claims.

as it should always be keep your gazed fixed on Jesus and let the spirit fill you as he see's fit
thanks so much
jeff

2007/3/25 2:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy