SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Entertainment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
todd

California

Re:

Quote:
"Todd, you are sorely mistaken if you think that laypeople will not have to give an account for the corporate body or even less than pastors will have to give. All will give an account for the entire body, and all will be responsible for following the voice of God entirely.

That division between clergy and laity that you speak of is called 'Nicolaitanism,' and Jesus Christ has authoritatively said that he hates it."

Wow, if this is true then I was obviously way off. Glad I made that semi-disclaimer at the end of my post. Because the things I wrote I am not totally convinced of. I would really appreciate Bible verses to back up every sentence you made (3). Especially the statement "all will give an account for the entire body." That would be very helpful in helping me determine the truth of this matter.

Here's the specific statements I would appreciate Scriptural backup for:

1. Laypeople will have to give an account for the corporate body...
2. ...just as much as pastors will.
3. "All will give an account for the entire body"
4. "That division between clergy and laity that you speak of is called 'Nicolaitanism,'...
5 ..."and Jesus Christ has authoritatively said that he hates it."

Notice I didn't include the statement, "and all will be responsible for following the voice of God entirely" because I agree with you here.

I guess James 3:1 was one verse that is rolling around in my head.

"Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur stricter judgement."

This seems to show that there are various levels of judgement. That we are will not all be judged by the same measure. (Matt. 7:2 also backs this up [various standards or levels of judgement] "For in the same way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you").

Perhaps one of my mistakes was using the term "laypeople." What I meant was people not in a position of much influence (doesn't mean they are not important in God's plan, I am only speaking relatively in the context of the Church here), not an official leader or shepard. People without a platform, so to speak. People not speaking in authority. Those who are more a part of the flock than shepherds. You do believe there are to be leaders (elders) in the church, right? But you probably don't like the term "laypeople." Perhaps it was careless for me to use this word due to it's conotations.

There seem to be two senses of God's flock(s). The Church of Jesus Christ as a whole is clearly just that, Jesus' flock (and so in that sense one flock and Jesus the one shepherd).

John 10:16
"And I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they shall hear My voice; and they shall become one flock with one shepherd."

Acts 20:28 (Paul to the elders of the church of Ephesus [check 20:1] for context)
"Be on guard for yourselves and for all the flock, among which the Holy SPirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood."

Both of those verses seem to support the concept of one flock.

1 Peter 5:1-5
"Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed, shepherd the flock of God AMONG YOU, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock. And when the Cheif Shepherd appears, you will recieve the unfading crown of glory. You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, for GOD IS OPPOSED TO THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE to the humble."

This passage seems to make it clear that there are numerous flocks within the one main flock, of which God is the Cheif Shepherd.

2003/7/24 19:02Profile
heartsoffire

Re: Entertainment

I am amazed when we begin to rasp under the conviction of the Holy Spirit and begin to justify our behavior and label others as judgmental or legalistic.

When I was younger, I got rid of my TV for about 8 years. Then I got "spiritual" and had the liberty to bring it back into my house. Initially, it was for news, weather, and sports. Eventually, we had three TVs for good "clean" entertainment. We didn't watch what everyone agrees as "questionable" programs, but we watched, for the most part, "wholesome" shows. I was pretty much a happy Christian. Attending Church, leading Bible studies, heading up grandiose Christian festivals - impacting thousands of people. I had lots of influence on the Christian community at large (all denominations, etc).

After another 8 years or so, the Holy Spirit convicted me again that if I continued to "entertain" myself with the things of this world, He would remove His anointing (another theological debate but I know what I heard). Well, after some strong consideration, I figured that it was better to err on the side of righteousness instead of justifying my worldly activity. So, as I humbled myself and allowed the Lord to have this area walked away from television (I wasn't really into movie going), my discernment began to sharpen. I began to see with eyes that were clear and no longer walk with feeble knees - chronically stumbling and struggling with lust and worldliness.

Don't get me wrong, the person who said that music, TV, etc are amoral is partially right. The box that has the picture tube has no evil value to it at all, but the contents that it vomits out has no righteousness associated with it at all. It is there so that its producers can earn a great deal of money to bring people happiness, excitement, adventure, and education.

The spirit of antichrist is more than just opposing the things of God, but it has to do with replacing the things of God. Don't you see that what this world wants is your attention and your affection - even if it's a little. Because if it can entice you with a little, then the leaven is placed and will begin to spread.

If you believe that this is legalistic, then "sin is at your door" wanting to pull you into its midst. No doubt that there are those out there that have become proud in their holiness because they don't do certain things and only do things that are spiritual. We've all encountered them. However, the true holiness of God produces a knowledge that there is "no good thing that dwells within me" and considers that anything that desires to steal my heart from God, in any way, something to be avoided.

All of the prophets were considered legalistic and judgmental. Jesus, Himself, had this rap. What do you think they thought of Him when He proclaimed His woes on certain cities? What do you think they thought of Him when He drove out the money changers? What do you think they thought of Him when He railed on the scribes and Pharisees?

The saddest thing of all is that we feel that we have to defend our right to be worldly. On the other hand, someone has to defend their desire to "come out from among them and be separate" and be conscrated unto God.

You are right, conviction can only come from the Holy Spirit. You are wrong that it can't come from a person or that it has to come from someone "in authority." I am an ordained minister, but Jesus said that I must come as a child. Coming as a child enables me to receive from the Lord through any part of His body. Paul tells me in EPHESIANS (not Galatians) to be an imitator of God. Paul tells me that in guile to be as a child. I can only do this when I am not spoiled by the things of this world.

I'm not going to add a bunch of scriptures because many have already been made part of this post. For sure common-ness is the opposite of holiness. For sure, the Bible doesn't SPECIFICALLY identify television and entertainment (neither are in the concordance), but the Bible speaks of the spirit that they are of. For sure, there is no precedence for the Christian music industry. As one that participated in it for many years, it is a business like the rest of the music industry. Are there Christians in it? Yes. Is God using it? The current stuff is debatable. Is there good music out there that is glorifying God? Yes, and much of it isn't part of a label.

This is a long post and I realize that many times we pick out the most recent things mentioned, so I'm going to summarize because this post has nothing to do with Christian music or even television/entertainment. It DOES have to do with the spirit of antichrist. Do not be deceived. Paul says that we know the devices or tactics of Satan. If he can divert your attention away from the simplicity and purity of following Christ and receiving all of your happiness, adventure, suspense, and education from His hand, then he can begin to lure you into his trap.

What are things that replace our simple devotion to Christ? As one person said, religion. Some years ago I was an associate pastor of an inner-city church in a large metro city in the south. I was the principal of the Christian school and as far as everyone was concerned (including myself) I was serving God - I was doing HIS work. Work that HE called me to do. I have never been a religious person - one who looked down on someone because of their behavior. I have a strong conviction that God wants us to people that brings others to reconciliation with God. So, for all intents and purposes, all was well with God and me - until one day I realized that something was missing in my life. I was missing that intimate sense of His presence that I had always enjoyed. I was missing hearing His voice. So as I knelt down to pray, I heard these words clearly - words that I will never forget and an event that is a landmark in my Christian walk, "You'll have no other gods before me." The Lord revealed to me that I had allowed my ministry (the one He had called me to and a location He had placed me) to REPLACE my simple, pure devotion to Him. You see, God doesn't need your religion or your religious activities. He wants your YOU! So, ANYTHING that draws us away from Him by stealing our time, our affection, our energy and replaces Him - we are guilty of idolatry. This will ultimately result into us falling prey to worldliness - all the while believing that His presence and His pleasure is with us.

Do NOT BE DECEIVED.

For a picture of what sin and worldliness can do to the body, take a look around. How effective is the Church these days in preserving the culture and restoring people back to God?

WE WILL ALL STAND ACCOUNTABLE BEFORE GOD AS MEMBERS OF HIS BODY.

I apologize for the length of this. Thank you for reading it, in its entirety (I read all of yours, in their entirety).

When I was young and full of zeal, I sought to please the Lord with all my heart, sparing nothing that would intrude into that space. When I got older and wiser, I tempered that zeal and began to realize that I was capable of discerning which worldly activities I could participate in and which I couldn't. I also wanted to be able to "fellowship" with other believers - because the other way made them uncomfortable. When the Lord showed me that I had become wise in my own eyes, He also showed me that I could return to Him as a young child again - full of zeal, sparing nothing that would intrude into His space.

I leave you with one final scripture verse. Please read it completely, in the context of this post. May the Lord give you wisdom.

“But if you have bitter jealousy and selfish ambition in your heart, do not be arrogant and [so] lie against the truth. This wisdom is not that which comes down from above, but is earthly, natural, demonic. For where jealousy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every evil thing. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy(unfeigned, undisguised, sincere). And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.” (James 3:14-18 NAS95)

Disclaimer: I didn't proof read this so if there are spelling errors or bad grammar - my apologies.

Consider reading the following article on [url=http://heartsoffireproductions.com/articles/sin_in_the_camp.htm]Sin In The Camp[/url]" to understand our role in His body.

Peace,
Mark

2003/7/24 19:57Profile
TaKa

Louisiana

Thanks for expounding on the meaning of holiness as Brother Nee defined it. I think it should be a priority for us to be holy and separated from the world, and separated unto God.

That way the world can see that there really is a difference in us and it might influence them to want to become Christians as well.

I believe we will have to give an account to God for the opportunities we have or have not given to young believers to help them grow in their faith.

Keith Green said that every generation of believers is responsible for their generation of souls. And Jesus commands us to go and make disciples of all nations.

Peter exhorted the elders of the church to shepherd the flock of God among them, exercising oversight and proving to be examples to the flock.

I agree that there are numerous flocks within the one main flock of every church, of which God is the Cheif Shepherd.

The leadership training program in my church is called Exodus 18, based on the advice of Jethro to Moses about finding able men to be undersheperds for the people of Israel.

Every church member is prayed for daily and receives a phone call every week to see how they're doing.

I've said this before: I believe that if we who have been saved 10 years or more can't look at a young believer and say "Follow me as I follow Christ" then we need to check ourselves out and see if there is something wrong with us.

2003/7/24 21:32Profile
heartsoffire

Re:

]

Quote:
I've said this before: I believe that if we who have been saved 10 years or more can't look at a young believer and say "Follow me as I follow Christ" then we need to check ourselves out and see if there is something wrong with us.

Well said.

By the way, my reference to my ordination was to respond Todd's statement about pastor's being held accountable. While there is a greater accountability to anyone in leadership, if those in leadership reach a point where they cannot receive correction or ministry from the rest of the body, then they are out of order and out of control (cancer). The reference was merely to state that not only do I believe that, but I live it as well.

Man's ordination means nothing. If that was the case, then the apostle Paul was not qualified for the ministry as he was not ordained or commissioned by anyone from the church at Jerusalem.

Peace,
Mark

Quote:
The one way I can imagine this type of thing justified is if you are a pastor. If God has entrusted you with a flock, then I think you have greater authority to express and enforce your opinions on holy living. THis is because they are your responsability and you will answer to CHrist some day and have to give an account for them. Us laypeople won't have to give and account for the entire corporate church, only for the part of it that GOd has entrusted to us. Right? Holiness is huge, but a cranky type of holiness doesn't seem to do much for the kingdom. I think history makes this pretty clear. This is a topic I don't have very set views on, I am just throwing some of them out there. [/quote

2003/7/24 22:05Profile
Maria

USA

Re:

Quote Taka:
"I think it should be a priority for us to be holy and separated from the world, and separated unto God. That way the world can see that there really is a difference in us and it might influence them to want to become Christians as well."

Absolutely! Thank you for responding in a Spirit of love! Thank you also, heartsoffire. It's awesome when the Lord begins to quicken our hearts to hear and understand what He is speaking to us! =)

I quote: (someone from another post a while back)

"To a hypocrite, all whose religion lies in his tongue, nothing is more dreadful than that God searches the heart and sees through all his disguises. To a sincere Christian, who makes heart-work of his duty, nothing is more comfortable than that God searches the heart, for then he will hear and answer those desires which we want words to express." Unknown

In Him,
Maria

2003/7/24 22:11Profile
heartsoffire

Re:

Quote:
"To a hypocrite, all whose religion lies in his tongue, nothing is more dreadful than that God searches the heart and sees through all his disguises. To a sincere Christian, who makes heart-work of his duty, nothing is more comfortable than that God searches the heart, for then he will hear and answer those desires which we want words to express." Unknown

I have always found that when I feel defensiveness rise up and then fear it is because my flesh is becoming uncomfortable. I was attending the meeting where David Wilkerson preached on "Passing Under the Rod." I felt my defenses going up. I began to get angry. Then this still gentle voice spoke to me, "If this wasn't a problem, then why are you getting angry?" At which point I found myself with a mighty resolve to deal with the idols of my heart.

This same thing has happened to me several times over the years and it usually comes from a place or person that I least expect it to. You see, God is interested in empowering me to overcome the world. THEN, as an overcomer,I have demonstrated to a dying world a living Saviour.

This isn't performance based and it has nothing to do with anything good in me. It has everything to do with God's grace in me to lead me to a true righteousness. Not one by which I do outwardly, but a changed heart.

Quote:
“For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men, instructing us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires and to live sensibly, righteously and godly in the present age,” (Titus 2:11-12 NAS95)

Quote:
“"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. "Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. "I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. "You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people, and I will be your God. "Moreover, I will save you from all your uncleanness; and I will call for the grain and multiply it, and I will not bring a famine on you. "I will multiply the fruit of the tree and the produce of the field, so that you will not receive again the disgrace of famine among the nations. "Then you will remember your evil ways and your deeds that were not good, and you will loathe yourselves in your own sight for your iniquities and your abominations. "I am not doing [this] for your sake," declares the Lord GOD, "let it be known to you. Be ashamed and confounded for your ways, O house of Israel!"” (Ezekiel 36:25-32 NAS95)

2003/7/24 22:23Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Quote:
I DO have a problem when professing Christians can pay to sit in a movie theater (or pay for cable or HBO) and be ENTERTAINED with the very sin that nailed Jesus to the cross! The very sin that Jesus, our Messiah, shed His Precious blood to SAVE us from! Laughing not just at, but WITH actors and actresses who are going to a place called HELL because they are dead in sin, instead of weeping over their lost souls and begging Jesus to make Himself known to them.

Amen Amen and Amen. AS it says in James, be miserable, mourn, and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy into gloom. We have commited a gross sin today by calling 'bad' good. As 1 Cor teaches, love does not rejoice in unrighteousness...yet so many rejoice by being captivated and amused by that which our Lord died for.

2003/7/24 23:10Profile
Maria

USA

Re:

QUOTE:
"As 1 Cor teaches, love does not rejoice in unrighteousness...yet so many rejoice by being captivated and amused by that which our Lord died for."

Thank you! You have just defined another part of what true love is: walking in the ways of His commandments!!

QUOTE:
"We have commited a gross sin today by calling 'bad' good."

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness; Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!" Isaiah 5:20

"Now then let the fear of the LORD be upon you; be very careful what you do, for the LORD our God will have no part in unrighteousness..." 2 Chronicles 19:7

"The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; The judgments of the LORD are true; they are righteous altogether." Psalms 19:9

"The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate." Proverbs 8:13

"By lovingkindness and truth iniquity is atoned for, And by the fear of the LORD one keeps away from evil." Proverbs 16:6

Grace and Peace in our Lord Jesus Christ!

--Maria

2003/7/24 23:16Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: The Fear of the Lord and Idols

Quote:
"The fear of the LORD is to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverted mouth, I hate." Proverbs 8:13

I recently preached on that verse :) wrtbooks was kind enough to put up my sermon on this site. It may be good for people on this discussion to consider watching that sermon, as I think it is applicable to this discussion.

Check it out The Fear of the Lord and Idols About 52 minutes long.

Also, for those of you who would rather not download a 24 mb file, you can watch a streaming version of that tape at http://www.christiansteps.com/sermons/fcc_071303.ram

This is my first sermon btw :)

2003/7/24 23:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!

I wasn't paying careful attention to this post at all and I started to skim Maria's first post and got tired so I just wrote a quote by Leonard Ravenhill and felt led to do it. Afterwards I noticed that Maria used the same quote in her first post! wow :-D God is confirming his word.

I am replying here to all the posts and I am specifying which poster I am quoting each time. and I am going in sequential order:

[b]replies to posts by maria:[/b]

Quote:
My family has always held to a “we don’t listen to any secular music” doctrine. It really wasn’t too difficult to follow – it had always been a “given” for my brother and I, that if the music wasn’t inspired by God… it was inspired by the devil.

I don't think that is legalism in itself. true legalism is from the hearts intentions, or paul the apostle would be the biggest legalist when he said: 'for whose sake I lost all things. I consider them rubbish that I may gain Christ.' And its so true that all tv, music and media are mostly inspired by the devil, even star trek! (don't take that the wrong way). The answer is not in leaving all these things so quickly and replacing them with other things that are supposedly more religous. We do have to wait on God and slowly let our desires and cares be more on him and less on the world.

Quote:
After the 6 months were up, I realized how I hadn’t even missed them. When the youth would gather for a “movie night” I would just wander into another room and talk to people. But, the Lord still wasn’t finished with me…

yes, I can testify that I stopped watching tv for a year and movies, I didnt think myself more righteous but I felt spending more time in prayer and bible reading and book reading really was a better benefit. but it did become somewhat of a bondage later in my christian life, I felt in someways a self-righteousness and had a indignation against any christian who watched tv. I believe that TV itself is becoming more and more immoral and it would be beneficial to stop watching it mostly and also internet can be an awful place of temptation.

Quote:
Even “Little House on the Prairie” became loathsome to me, because I saw how it took the place of Christ in people’s lives. It was a humanistic tool to draw people to other loves and other lives – and far away from the knowledge of God. (“Anti-Christ” does not only mean “opposed” to Christ, but a “replacement” for Christ.)

Whatever it is, if its bringing you away from time that God wants with you then it will become loathsome, but I wouldnt redly apply that to all Christians, to this detail it does become a personal heart issue with the Christian before God.

Quote:
After months (now years) of going without, I realize how incredibly “noisy” my life was – it was nearly impossible to hear God like I needed to.

True, when I used to not watch tv or movies my mind was much more clear and I could hear Gods voice so much better, I speak this to my shame because I still struggle to hear Gods voice today as I did in the past! :-(

Quote:
Why am I saying all this? Because I am so grieved in my heart at the idolatry in our lives. I’m not talking about becoming legalistic – I have no problem with someone watching the news when the Twin Towers fell – or checking up on the internet or things like that. I DO have a problem when professing Christians can pay to sit in a movie theater (or pay for cable or HBO) and be ENTERTAINED with the very sin that nailed Jesus to the cross! The very sin that Jesus, our Messiah, shed His Precious blood to SAVE us from! Laughing not just at, but WITH actors and actresses who are going to a place called HELL because they are dead in sin, instead of weeping over their lost souls and begging Jesus to make Himself known to them. No wonder we are divided, and full of (spiritual) sickness and disease in the church! No wonder many have no discernment! How dare we mock God by thinking we aren’t affected by the evil of this age. God, give us the Grace to hear this.

Thats an awesome truth that we need to hear again and again. We are watching professional heathen people who dont know God acting to entertain us to think of things and not of God. Even to the worse case mock and insult God in various ways and we follow along with it without even knowing it.

Quote:
You might say to me, “I don’t feel convicted in these areas” or, “I don’t hold to the same conviction.” Whether you FEEL convicted or not, sin is sin. Worldliness is worldliness.

This is true to a point, but here is a scripture that gives BALANCE on this issue: "Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins" - James 4:17 (use the negative truth of this verse that there are those who don't know and so it isnt sin to them!)
"Be careful, however, that the exercist of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak" - 1 Corinthians 8:9

[b]replies to posts by sdb:[/b]

Quote:
I have seen way to many times when man will grow restless, and instead of seeking out Gods heart we seek out ways to punch out our own holiness, and always using the explanative warning of not being legalistic. If our true hearts desire is to seek His Face, there will be less and less desire for the things of this world and a sincere heartfelt desire to be in His presence..

yes brother, we must not just seek God by mechanical means of sacrifice. God does not 'desire sacrifice but obedience'! we need to be patient in seeking his face for that obeidence.

Quote:
Remember we are to be in the world and not of it....Always easier said then done--but I think the answer is drawing so close to His presence that He gives us the power to do this, or rather He is the power that does it. Its about Him and not us. Its about Him doing all and us doing less(or nothing). Please don't missunderstand

Be careful brother in the fact of 'doing nothing' God always wants our minds active in seeking him we are not useless vessels but each made unique to make an impact for the kingdom of God, but we do need to seek his power for this work!

[b]replies to posts by todd:[/b]

Quote:
I mean, most will agree that a movie with lots of sex, violence, and dirty languiage is wrong for a Christian to watch and support. BUt what if the movie has one cuss word? Who decides where to draw the line? What if it has one sexual inuendo? One gruesome fight scene? etc.

well if you are convicted over the first then the latter should be the same. With sin I always feel that if we are alright with abit then it gets a foothold and it gets worse and worse and we get more calloused to it then before long the things you mentioned at first seem not to bad.

Quote:
Wow, if this is true then I was obviously way off. Glad I made that semi-disclaimer at the end of my post.

Thats awesome to be open to correction brother, personally I am learning so much from these brothers and sisters in Christ sharing there hearts in the forums including you! ;-)

[b]replies to posts by Taka:[/b]

Quote:
I think it was Watcman Nee who said that the opposite of holiness is commonness, not sin. So I'm thinking, What's the point in just simply not being sinful if I still entertain alot of stuff the world entertains?

That is very intresting... hmmm. well if we can argue that tv is not overally sinful then what about the point of spending our time. Should we spend it in the same way the world does? I think not. But does that mean taking away of all the things of the world.. no. Then we would have to leave the world!

[b]replies to posts by Jason:[/b]

Quote:
Todd, you are sorely mistaken if you think that laypeople will not have to give an account for the corporate body or even less than pastors will have to give. All will give an account for the entire body, and all will be responsible for following the voice of God entirely.

Yes we are so reasonable as members of the body! we need to feel burdened for the condition of the body of Christ in these days!

[b]replies to posts by Ktrek:[/b]
Quote:
When I was younger I threw out my TV, got rid of all my secular music and books. Only went to church, read ministry and listened to my “Christian” music. I just replaced one part of my flesh with a more “religious” flesh is all. Still the same old flesh but now I was better than the “average” Christian because I put away worldly things.

Wow, I can relate! we cannot be so quick to cut-off the world thinking it will get us closer to God. Once we get closer to God then maby he will lead us to cut certain things off. Sadly your explanation is of alot of Christians in the church these days.

Quote:
When I was younger I threw out my TV, got rid of all my secular music and books. Only went to church, read ministry and listened to my “Christian” music. I just replaced one part of my flesh with a more “religious” flesh is all. Still the same old flesh but now I was better than the “average” Christian because I put away worldly things.

Yes, I quoted 1 cor 8:9 before in this post and this applies to that! But I believe Maria is sharing her testimony to encourage other believers that are at the same type of situation before God. It's a powerful word and will apply the best to some people who are ready to hear it.
and thats not to say that the people who disagree arent at a high spiritual level. :-D

Quote:
You cannot be the Holy Spirit!

I believe she was not trying to be. and the Holy Spirit uses anything to speak to people. Sometimes even other people.. hehe Sometimes even baby christians to an older chrisitan like me to rebuke me.. wow that hurt I care not to elaborate!

Quote:
In my opinion the position you are taking is really Galatianism. You should move on to Hebrews and on to Collosians and Ephesians. What we need is more fullness of Christ.

Maria as far as I know is learning the whole scope of Gods word and is applying all of it to her walk. Her message she gave here is just on a specific, small, minut subject and is not the way to God or something like that.

Quote:
Has it ever occurred to you that maybe modern Christian music, so-called, is entertainment with Christ’s name attached to it?

Sorry Trek, I am taking Maria side on this, she is really doing an amazing work with her ministry with music and is doing it in such a Christ-like way. I dont want to share details and puff her up. but all I have to say is that get her album from: http://www.therevivalweneed.com/xoops/banners.php?op=click&bid=10

[b]replies to posts by heartsoffire:[/b]

Quote:
After another 8 years or so, the Holy Spirit convicted me again that if I continued to "entertain" myself with the things of this world, He would remove His anointing (another theological debate but I know what I heard).

this is from a pastoral view and I understand why God would call you to do this!

Quote:
my discernment began to sharpen. I began to see with eyes that were clear and no longer walk with feeble knees - chronically stumbling and struggling with lust and worldliness.

Yes, me even not being an pastor but a baby christian and giving up those things to really grow and seek God more helped my discernment. It allowed me to hear the still voice of the spirit.

Quote:
The spirit of antichrist is more than just opposing the things of God, but it has to do with replacing the things of God. Don't you see that what this world wants is your attention and your affection - even if it's a little. Because if it can entice you with a little, then the leaven is placed and will begin to spread.

true but we have to be careful of the application of this. here is one example: Jesus was praying for the children and blessing them, but the disciples didnt want him to do it, they thought he was too busy doing ministry things and spiritual things and playing with and blessing children didnt fit into there ideal of what is a good use of time.

Quote:
You are right, conviction can only come from the Holy Spirit. You are wrong that it can't come from a person or that it has to come from someone "in authority."

AMEN.

Quote:
This is a long post and I realize that many times we pick out the most recent things mentioned, so I'm going to summarize because this post has nothing to do with Christian music or even television/entertainment. It DOES have to do with the spirit of antichrist. Do not be deceived. Paul says that we know the devices or tactics of Satan. If he can divert your attention away from the simplicity and purity of following Christ and receiving all of your happiness, adventure, suspense, and education from His hand, then he can begin to lure you into his trap.

Yes it is with our time and how we spend it: 'redeem the time for the days are evil'.

Quote:
Do NOT BE DECEIVED. For a picture of what sin and worldliness can do to the body, take a look around. How effective is the Church these days in preserving the culture and restoring people back to God? WE WILL ALL STAND ACCOUNTABLE BEFORE GOD AS MEMBERS OF HIS BODY.

THIS is a really sad truth and is worth a good mediation, man the church is not prevailing with God and making an impact as it should on the world. The world is influncing the church more than the church is influncing the world.

[size=large]be patient with everyone, but always try to be kind to each other! - 1 thes 14a-15b[/size]

2003/7/25 1:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy