SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 07-07-07

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: public prayer?

Jesus had something to say about this kind of thing:

"And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. {6} "But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly."

bub

2007/3/22 17:09

Re: 07-07-07

it's my wedding day in Canada :-)

2007/3/22 18:00
lovegrace

Re:

Bubba, your applying a scripture incorrectly.

These people are NOT saying, "Hey, Let's look spiritual."

They are shouting an alarm to fast and pray TOGETHER as the body of Christ.

Bubba, your coming down on your own brother and sister's in Christ.

Throughout the Old Testament. A king (godly one) would sound an alarm to NATIONAL fasting and prayer for God to restore their nation.

That's all this man is doing. Be careful when you judge people, because you WILL reap what you sow.

**edit**

2007/3/23 16:12Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re:

You know if we were as fast to pass judgment on sin in our own lives as we are about someone calling for national prayer and intercession we would all be a whole lot more holy.

2007/3/23 16:24Profile

Re:

Lovegrace,

I appreciate your sincere heart for God!

but i want to ask you to reconsider your post. you state "These people are saying, "Hey, Let's look spiritual."

this is precisely what Jesus is speaking against; people putting on a show of being spiritual. he says that the spectacle itself is its own reward and that God hears nothing of it (this is the best case scenario.)

bub

2007/3/23 17:27
repentcanada

Re:

It is sad to see how most every ministry loves to solicit for money and donations. I never read of the disciples or Jesus himself doing this to do God's work.

2007/3/23 18:19Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Bubba, I mis-typed something. I just changed it.

They ARENT saying, "Hey, Let's look spiritual."

They are praying for revival.

If that's a sin, talk to God.

I suggest you read through the actions of the godly kings after an ungodly one. The godly king would proclaim a national fast to restore the nation.

2007/3/23 20:03Profile
chadster

Re:

Thanks Lovegrace and Goldminer for your affirmation of what Lou Engle is attempting to do...follow the Scriptural prescription for a sin sick church and nation...40 days of prayer and fasting culminating in this national convocation. I can't understand how fault can be found with this??????

Frankly, I'm stunned at the response from the SI readership. I thought this was a community that was passionate for revival???

So much of what I read on this site is about getting rid of the sham and supposedly there are people here who are crying out in repentance and contrition and seeking God for revival.

So I write about someone who is doing that in PRACTICE and not just "talking about it" with pious platitudes as we do on SI. He is a man of integrity who has dedicated his life in passionate pursuit after God and in intercession, especially for the reversal of Roe V. Wade...he is not living in oppulent wealth...(how we love to identity those in the body of Christ and shred them on this site)...but I guess we're so holy and righteous that we STILL find fault with him, and he is judged and criticized...I'm incredulous!!!

Frankly, I'm disallusioned and disenchanted with many who post on these threads. I read one message, but I haven't seen the proof of what is "written in words"...Talk is cheap!! In stead of truly crying out to God for revival in our country and asking God to cleanse and purge His church, we sit upon our judgement thrones and judge everyone and everything that doesn't match up to "our theological biases." Jesus didn't measure up to the religious elite of His day and they crucified Him.

May God have mercy on us.

2007/3/23 20:08Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Chadster, let me fill you in on their perception.

Here is an article that reflects it. "[url=http://65.108.220.179/lover.html]Jesus as Lover[/url]"

Please, take a few minutes to read it and pray about the Lord's discernment on this issue.

Chadster, a lot of people, including my self try to 'test everything and hold fast to which is good.' I do believe this event by Lou Engle is good, great, and from God. When isn't fasting and praying?

But, we must be balanced, we must pray and ACT out on our faith.

We must test all things, try to find evil, and if it passes then accept it. *(I wish there was a better way of saying this, because it doesn't fully convey what I'm trying to say.....)*

2007/3/24 10:38Profile
Compton

Re:

Just out of curiosity, what is it that is causing people to condemn this event? I know it's charismatic...but are we saying the Lord won't bless these people gathering in prayer and worship?

I dunno gents. I would much rather have teens wanting to 'repent, pray, and fast' even if they are fledgling in their grasp of these things...verses chasing them away with our refined understanding that has often taken ourselves decades to grow into. Okay, so they are going to have those young 'worship' bands, grungy teen musicians wearing that "Im too profound to get a job" angst on their faces and there will probably be vendors selling t-shirts and CDs in tents. And many of us have learned that these 'events' are merely passing spectacles and that the Christian life is found in the dull valleys, not the mountaintops.

Yet, on an individual level, will the Lord refuse a young heart that comes open to him?

The only reason I ask is that sometimes I fear in our desire to see purity we leave little room for dirty people to grow out of the mess they are currently in. Perhaps I am guilty of being pragmatic here, but if we will accept nothing less then that revival where, to our satisfaction, Finney arrives and breaks the back of sinners with a single stare of angry dissapointment... we may be the ones who are remain angry and dissapointed. Can we ask ourselves if these stadium events are at least a budding indication that spirit-filled Christianity still has a pulse in America?

There is a lot of junk in the Church these days. Witness the 20/20 video on the propsperity preachers. For many it is all more then enough to shrivel our hope in God. The danger is that our warm love for the Lord is quietly pushed out by cold confessional fanaticism that sufficates even prayers and songs to God, because they seem too puerile to us.

So I guess I really am just wondering if the Lord condemns this event as we do. It's a fair question...while these days call for discernment I have noticed that on some matters of discernment, followers can be more extreme then the leaders.;-)

MC

2007/3/24 14:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy