· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Will we see Solomon in heaven?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Here4Him

England

Will we see Solomon in heaven?

I am sure this may have been discussed before, but i was just reading through 1 Kings and the life of Solomon again, and of course the question always comes to mind, 'will we see him in heaven?'

I know tradition says he returned to the Lord at the end of His life and wrote Ecclesiastes, do we know if there is any foundation for that?

I think its interesting how it says that from his birth (or actually before) the Lord loved Him, if this is the saving love toward the elect, then despite his apostacy and dreadful last years of wickedness he was the Lord's and the Lord made sure He came back, right? What do you think?

"For every look at self take ten looks at Christ."
-Robert Murray McCheyne

"You've got to learn to bring your piety up to your head knowledge."
-Dr. Andrew Schmutzer

2007/3/21 16:24Profile
jordanamo

Re: Will we see Solomon in heaven?

I don't know.

2007/3/21 17:16Profile
roadsign

Re:

I remember asking this very same question. It troubled me that Solomon may have slipped through God's fingers. So I asked God, "Lord, What happened to Solomon?". Then my eyes were opened and I was directed to Ecclesiastes. That's him! He was a prodigal son. He was lost, but then he was found. Yes, he did return to the Lord, and amazing lessons come from that little book.

After meditating on the book of Ecclesiastes I wrote out my insights: [url=http://www.thewayback.net/articles/becominghuman.htm]Learning to be Fully Human [/url]

2007/3/21 17:30Profile

If the LORD rescued a sinner like me, anything's possible...

I have another question: is a modern-day homosexual man that's been with ten men better or worse sinner than Solomon, who had "relations" with over 900 women?

I don't see sin as quantitative or qualitative... disobey once or disobey nine hundred time, it's still disobedience.

2007/3/21 17:36
andres

texas,brownsville

Re:

Yes, sin is sin no matter how small we think it is, BUT, what type of sin did King Solomon commit?
Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon
And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods. 1 kings 11:7-8
King Solomon great sin is leading his people to apostasy. Every time Solomon worshipped a foreign god , he was telling his people it was ok to do the same .. every time Solomon sacrificed or let one of his children be sacrificed to molech, Solomon was telling the people he was leading , that this was acceptable behavior. Imagine the children who grew up in this environment, being exposed to the actions of the king of Israel.
But whoso shall offend (causes to sin) one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.Matthew18:6
Was Solomon saved? I hope so.. .. but look at the destruction he left in his wake,Solomon's sin did not only affect just himself but the nation of GOD.. this should also be a warning to Pastors
Love
andy

2007/3/21 18:46Profile

I'm perplexed when I hear people (believers) say they are looking forward to talking to this or that saint, or seeing a loved one again in heaven, mainly because I don't find this held out as being any part of our hope for salvation.

Of Solomon, I don't know, and wonder if I need to know?

But, the scripture which comes to mind is the end of Romans 1, where the consequences of turning away from the truth about God are graphically spelled out by Paul, followed by

Romans 2 (NKJV)
1 Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.

2 But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things.

3 And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God?

4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, [b]not knowing that the goodness of God leads you[/b][u] to repentance[/u]?

This is a clear statement that idolators are not beyond salvation.

2007/3/21 20:17
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

To me it is one of the authenticating features of the Bible record that so many stories are left unfinished. If human beings had written these accounts all these issues would have been 'tidied up'. But real life is not so easily 'tidied up'and these are real life accounts. As some of the old Quakers used to say 'we have no desire to be wiser than what has been written'.

"Love perfecteth what it begins;

Thy power doth save me from my sins;

Thy grace upholdeth me.

This life of trust, how glad, how sweet;

My need and Thy great fulness meet,

And I have all in Thee.

Jean Sophia Pigott (1845-1882)

2007/3/22 6:24Profile

Quote:
I know tradition says he returned to the Lord at the end of His life and wrote Ecclesiastes, do we know if there is any foundation for that?

Well... since Solomon wrote a lot of what he wrote to his son, in order to advise his son how he should live his life... and the advise was basically "seek ya first the kingdom of God", and dont put any stock in anything of this world... and teaching his son by his (Solomon's) own experiences... I would say thats a pretty good foundation for that conclusion made by much greater theologians than any of us are.

That was perhaps the longest sentence I have ever written.

Krispy

2007/3/22 7:05
dohzman

Re:

In the truest sense of sin, sin is simply being that which is not what God created one to be. Man / woman was created in the image of God. We are to be a reflection of His glory, an expression of His infinite self. It has always been a trap to catagorize certain trangressions or trespasses and hold some to be worse than others, however it would seem that certain acts seem to recieve a much swifter judgement.

Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent Me to proclaim freedom to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set free the oppressed,
Luk 4:19 to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
There it is the plumline! How do I measure up to it? How do we measure up to it? Are we like Jesus, our master, or no?

2007/3/22 7:27Profile
roadsign

Re: Why the uncertainty

From Ecclesiastes"
"The words of the Teacher, son of David, king of Jerusalem" 1:1

"I, the teacher was king over Isreal in Jerusalem. I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven." 1:12

Was there another son of David who could have fit this description? (never mind all the other references about his life)

Why would Solomon's final confession be generally viewed with uncertainty - as to his eternal destiny?

Why is the book of Ecclesiastes rarely used as it's intended purpose: to warn people not to make the same mistakes.

Why don't we hear more heart-stirring sermons arising from this literature?

Diane

2007/3/22 10:46Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy