SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : matt 26 ??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Hey PreachParsly, Do you mean to tell me that you have never just opened the Bible randomly to see what it would say?

Maybe it is not the most effective studying pattern, but you are so critical of anything that doesn't match your proffessional Bible reading prowess.

Answer me this, Why is opening the Bible randomly to read any worse than opening it systematically?

To say that one is wrong, and the other is right is ridiculous. Has the Lord never awakened you with a verse to read that was outside of your systematic study of the Bible?

Or have you ever considered that in your systematic study of the scriptures, you failed to be led by the Spirit of God concerning where you should have read?

Is not the word of God still the word of God?

You are suggesting that an evil spirit is directing someone to read the Bible. How ludicrous does it get?

2007/3/21 12:23Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Hey bubbaguy, I'd like to reply to your post.

One important fact that I think should be noted is this: Jesus was dealing with a group of very young men. Most of them were between the ages of about 17 and 22. So for example, I don't know how many 20 year olds you deal with on a regular basis, but generally they don't pay attention very well. So it would be easy for them to have been distracted by any number of things.

Another thing to note is that that culture is very vocal, sometimes loud in just regular speaking. Very much emotion flows through everything said. So there may have been much noise going on.

In my personal experience, I have been in just a room of ten people, discussing scripture, and it is so extremely easy to pass by a simple sentence such as the one Jesus made to Judas.

The other thing to note is that the disciples did not truly believe that Christ was going to die. He had to tell them that at least three times and they still didn't get it.

So in conclusion, we had a group of loud 20 year olds who were generally slow learners when Jesus told them something new. I think it is safe to say that if any of them did hear what Jesus said, they probably would be very slow to speak or to act on it. As they had not had any time to ponder it.

2007/3/21 12:35Profile

Re:

Quote:
You are suggesting that an evil spirit is directing someone to read the Bible. How ludicrous does it get?

Ben - please research bubbas past posts over a few months and you will see that its not that riduculous. (No offense bubba)

in Christ - Jim

2007/3/21 13:17
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

BenWilliams wrote:
Hey PreachParsly, Do you mean to tell me that you have never just opened the Bible randomly to see what it would say?

I answered that in my last post. :-?

Quote:
Maybe it is not the most effective studying pattern, but you are so critical of anything that doesn't match your proffessional Bible reading prowess.

Answer me this, Why is opening the Bible randomly to read any worse than opening it systematically?

To say that one is wrong, and the other is right is ridiculous. Has the Lord never awakened you with a verse to read that was outside of your systematic study of the Bible?

Or have you ever considered that in your systematic study of the scriptures, you failed to be led by the Spirit of God concerning where you should have read?

Is not the word of God still the word of God?

I'm guessing the reason you may not understand why I am posting like this towards bubba, is because you haven't been around to see what bubba believes?

EDIT: I see Jim already posted that. You can go to the forums, then advanced search (at the bottom) and type in the user name of the person you want and you can see their posts.

2007/3/21 13:21Profile

Re:

Also Ben...

Quote:
i think that the Bible is the word of God and a record of mankind's experience with God as it was recorded and handed down by fallible people. i think the essential events recorded are accurate history, but i also find that you can justify and/or find condemnation of almost anything from the various authors and books contained in it if you want to. (within limits, of course)

from the perspective of the old testament, mankind was the pinnacle of God's creative process. i look out into the galaxy and know that this is not so. there's lots of life out there that has been around for much longer than us. i look at the numerous, highly accurate and convincing stories of people claiming to have lived previous lives and know that we are all going through sequential lives and living experiences. (hopefully maturing along the way)

and i look at the bible and how it explains the beginnings of mankind, and knowing how cultures developed and maintained themselves employing stories that had multiple layers of meaning and used representational figures, i find that it is quite understandable and predictable that we have a book such as the bible. it came together and was perfected by people who cared deeply about their roles in mankind's future and the sacred knowledge they were to convey.

it think it is a mistake to read and intepret the bible literally. i also think that, as the australeopithicines (humankinds hominoid rootstock) were vegetarians, and Genesis commands original mankind to be vegetarian, and meat production seems to be involved in a lot of the ills facing the planet today, that Christians should examine the issue of their food sources and diet and its effects upon others. because the decision to consume large quantities of animal products is causing significant harm to God's creation and mankind. and, unwittingly or not, Christians are sinning against the creation and other human beings when they participate in this destructive practice.

bub

From thread...

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=14870&forum=35&start=10&viewmode=flat&order=1

2007/3/21 13:29
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Sorry I jumped on you preach, I do apologize. I see exactly where you are coming from, my mistake.

2007/3/21 13:35Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Here are a list of thread that might help to understand...

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=4603&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go] cage on the mind[/url] This is talking about how the Bible "cages our mind."

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=8244&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go] Reincarnation???[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=4590&forum=36&post_id=&refresh=Go]By what authority?[/url]

EDIT: I understand your response to me, I would have a similar one if I didn't know the history behind it.

2007/3/21 13:44Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
bubbaguy on 2007/3/21 3:35:45
Your blasphemy of comparing the Bible with an Ouija board is deeply unsettling.

It is not the Bible which is like a Ouja board it is your superstitious 'pin sticking' which is the equivalent of the false faith of those who use Ouja boards.

I do not 'smear the Spirit' but I totally reject your claims to be guided by him in ways which contradict the plain scripture.

2007/3/21 14:57Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:

I do not 'smear the Spirit' but I totally reject your claims to be guided by him in ways which contradict the plain scripture.

Good point! God's not going to contradict what He said in His Word. His Spirit will never lead us to do or believe things that are against Scripture.

2007/3/21 15:40Profile

Re:

wow. I seek for the Holy Spirit to guide my reading of the Bible and do what is commanded in waiting upon the Spirit. I actually employ the promises of Christ, and all I hear from the participants of this site is watch out!! must be something EVIL!!

Bub

BTW

I appreciate the explanations of the Disciples failure to act, it makes more sense for me now.

2007/3/22 13:26

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy