Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Ethics Class Tomorrow

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
free2bee63

Ethics Class Tomorrow

I have my ethics class tomorrow and we are beginning Saint Augustine's [u]Confessions[/u]. The professor is using Saint Augustine as the represenative for the Christian moral code.

The problem is, I've read through the first 21 pages and have found [b]80[/b] errors in common Christian theology!!! In the first 21 pages alone!!! I've highlighted them all and I have something to back them up.

My question is: What do you guys think is the friendliest way of bringing this up to the professor? Especially when she begins teaching about "Christianity."

2007/3/19 13:53Profile
free2bee63

Re: Ethics Class Tomorrow

From what she's tought thus far, I'm pretty sure she is a New Age believer. We just read some of Plato's [u]Phaedrus[/u], and what a journey that was! I kept my mouth shut during those classes, but this is going to be different.

2007/3/19 13:57Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Ethics Class Tomorrow

Only you know the answer to what you should do.

No one should tell you.

I can only guess you want some godly advice or you would not be asking for some on this forum.

All I can say is pray and read the word. What else is there?

God might or might not want you to say anything, which is why you should pray.

God might or might not want you to study that subject if the conflicts in it go against what His word says.

Seek God, He is good.

God bless.

2007/3/19 14:55Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
The professor is using Saint Augustine as the represenative for the Christian moral code.

I do believe that Constantine was responsible for many of the trends that have prevailed in Christianity - even to this day. So in a way, your professor may not be wrong - if she is teaching actual ethical practise over the ages, (as opposed to Biblical teachings).

Is there an opportunity for you to write a paper or do a presentation comparing Constantine's code with the Biblical teachings ... and then showing how Constantine's beliefs were harmful, as opposed to the Biblical model?

Diane

2007/3/19 15:38Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

One thing you need to point out is that Confessions was the first auto-biography. He was recording his own journey of faith, of course he's going to be in error, because it isn't until much later in the book that he actually accepts Jesus as his Lord.

It is important to point out that Augustine is considered the father of Western theology. The big split between the Eastern and Western church had to do partly (not entirely) with the fact that most clergy in the West thought of Augustine very highly and the clergy in the East barely knew who he was.

Even the reformers such as Luther and Calvin were extremely fond of Augustine's theology and for the most part adopted it wholesale as a foundation for their own beliefs and teachings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_(St._Augustine)

It is important to note that his thoughts on the trinity are the building blocks for most modern theology -even if you don't like it.

2007/3/19 16:35Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Roadsign,

Augustine is not Constantine...

Augustine = The greatest Theologian in the church after Paul, and maybe even since then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustine_of_Hippo

Constantine = An almost entirely pagan Roman emperor who 'converted' to Christianity late in life and declared Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constantine_I

2007/3/19 16:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy