Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Poor Sermon

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Backrow

So. CA.

Poor Sermon

poor sermons are every where. People are preaching the message of health, wealth and/or somthing that is not too offensive. Jesus is offensive to the world. The world hates Him. But some preachers don't want to rock the boat. Some of the sermons I download from Sermonindex are great because they are not what the world wants to hear. The world and some churches want a feel good message. The Church has to wake up!!! The Groom is coming!!! Christ is in His word. Congregations should be may uncomfortable at times.
Prayerfully
Bubba

2007/3/18 23:24Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Poor Sermon

Well Bubba you are singing most of the posters on this sites song. We know that the diluted, compromised messages that many churches preach are a grief to the heart of God.

Welcome to the family.

Hey I live in Alabama and we see many Bubba's here, how did one get out west?

2007/3/18 23:46Profile
kerrylou

Australia

Hi, Bubba,

It seems to me that preaching about health and wealth can be just as offensive to some. If I write something about healing I can guarantee you someone will come up with a story of one who was not healed. If I talk about God providing someone will be offended and call me a 'prosperity preacher'.

I, for one have other reasons for being apologetic for my poor preaching which has nothing to do with subject matter. Right now I am emphasising witnessing; the last three months of last year I was emphasising healing.

My sorrow is more for my inability to express myself clearly. I read the word and receive something from God which excites me and causes me to laugh for joy or weep in repentance. Then, when I stand in the pulpit my thinking becomes jumbled; I forget half my meditations; and I stutter and stumble - often wondering why any would listen at all. Yet, by the Spirit of God I always find one who is encouraged, one who is convicted, one who is comforted. Then I thank God that He has chosen the foolishness of my preaching that others might receive faith. For, "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing the Word of God."

Forgive me, friend, if my sermons are poor. I fully accept all responsibility.

Love,

Kerry.

2007/3/19 4:43Profile
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

Take heart dear Bubba, for there are still men of God who are not afraid to speak the truth of the Word! Yes, the sermon on this site are wonderful. I like it here because no-one seems afraid of the truth!!

Blessings

2007/3/19 6:10Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: Poor Sermon - weak vessels

Hi everyone.

I'd like to share a thought here.

Something that I recognise as a reality of the life of faith here in the west is this tendency towards extremes in our reactions to the many errors of the day. Being tossed to and fro with every wind of doctrine almost seems an appropriate description in terms of how we handle these things and our reactions to them.

So my thought, as it applies here, and this is not meant to be directed to any of you, is this:

There's nothing virtous, in and of itself, about being offensive - even with truth.

Please do not misunderstand me.

I'm fully convinced the truth will offend. It has offended and hurt me, to my good. My meaning here is that, the offence part of it, that which may hurt, or shake, or wound, that, brother or sister, does not [b]belong[/b] to us. It is our's to herald a message, it is God's to shape it and give it its life, [b]and its power[/b]. I do not believe it is [b]our[/b] place to make the message we deliever, offensive.

Put another way, I do not think we should have our hands on the knobs and buttons and switches of people's hearts and minds and souls. Those things belong to God - touching them belongs to the work of His Holy Spirit.

I know I have failed in this.

Chris

2007/3/19 7:00Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Some of the sermons I download from Sermonindex are great because they are not what the world wants to hear.

Bubba, I trust that you find them great because they touch YOUR heart, and stir you towards deeper faith, obedience, love for his word, and love for others.

May God bless your SI experiences!

Diane

2007/3/19 7:24Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: They are His, and you are least, the one chosen to serve

Reply to Kerry. Stop judging yourself. Paul our apostle preaching was weak but He was the one chosen to the bring the message of salvation by faith to the whole world through the strength of the Holy Spirit. God’s grace is sufficient for anyone who is not double minded to preach Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency
of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of
God.

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus
Christ, and him crucified.

And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much
trembling.

And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of
man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power

That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in
the power of God.

Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect yet not
the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world,
that come to nought

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden
wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory

Which none of the princes of this world knew for had they
known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard,
neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which
God hath prepared for them that love him.

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit for the
Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of
man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man,
but the Spirit of God.

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the
spirit which is of God that we might know the things that are
freely given to us of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's
wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth comparing
spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of
God for they are foolishness unto him neither can he know
them, because they are spiritually discerned.

But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is
judged of no man.

For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct
him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Eddie

2007/3/19 11:19Profile
Backrow

So. CA.

Re:

Kerry
It does sound like your heart is for the LORD. I always pray for those who are called to lead His flock.
At times you have to preach a hard massage. If the Bible does not sugar coat it, you should not also. Some sermons I hear are harsh. We need to hear that. Don't get me wrong we also have grace. If God tells me I'm a sinner. I'm a sinner. It's not ok to continue on sinning.
After doing your homework for your sermons. It comes thourgh when you give the message. Take no short cuts. Some things you have studied may not be used, but you are equipped. Don't lost heart.
I'll continue to pray for you.
Paryerfully
Bubba

2007/3/22 9:25Profile
Backrow

So. CA.

Re:

ChrisJD
I'm with you in regard to being offensive.
The point was to preach the Word. All of the Word, not just grace.
Some preach that God is love. And that is ture. But God is also a God of wrath in which we were objects of before coming to Christ. Eph 2:1-3 comes before vv. 4-5.
Titus 3:3 we have to preach that we were foolish, disobedient and the like. Some don't like to hear that but it's ture. Preach the the whole Word.
If I don't know my short comings and don't think I need to be saved. I have no need for a Savior.
His Word moved me to come to Him. It was God using someone to show me my sins. That caused me to give my life to Jesus. We have to know our place before we can have grace.
Grace to you.
Bubba

2007/3/22 9:52Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Robert wrote:

Quote:
The world and some churches want a feel good message. The Church has to wake up!!! The Groom is coming!!! Christ is in His word. Congregations should be may uncomfortable at times.
Prayerfully
Bubba

I missed this thread...it's about time that you stepped into the Jordan...

Grace to you Bubba

Your brother and inlaw in Christ
Jeff

2007/4/6 6:21Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy