SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should pastors be schooled?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
This issue reminds of what an old professor [Ph.D.]at a Seminary one time told our pastor who was educated at Harvard, Princton. He told him how he is amazed that a person with no more then 8th grade education, who studies the Scriptures intently, has an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ through the Holy Spirit, [b][i]will come to the same conclusions about what the Bible teaches as one who has spent years in college/seminary[/i][/b].

ginnyrose

Not always! I did a diploma course in a semi-liberal Theological College. When there I came across a book on Revelation written by some professor or other who didn't seem to have a clue! For example, he thought that the "sea of glass" = the bottomless pit!

He obviously hadn't read Exodus 24:9
[i][b][color=000099]9 Then Moses went up, also Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, 10 and they saw the God of Israel. [u]And there was under His feet as it were a paved work of sapphire stone,[/u] and it was like the lvery heavens in its clarity. [/color][/b][/i]

At least some of the lecturers there did know the Lord, and I'd been a Christian long enough to be able to cope with the liberal aspects of the teaching - which is a shock when you first come across it. I can say that I grew spiritually as a result of going to college, and learned a lot through some aspects of the studies. Though that may have been because it was the Lord's idea to take the course, not mine.

The main problem was in "unlearning" the over-intellectual analytical approach afterwards, (not quite there yet!), which can stifle the spiritual - apart from the grace of God.

Anyway, the conclusion from everybody here is "Do what the Lord is telling you to do"!

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/3/19 5:19
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

Re: Should Pastors go to Bible school

Whatever the Lord lays on your heart - but as long as it IS the voice of the Lord. My husband tried 5 times to go to Bible School. The Lord closed the door each time. His calling is Evangelist, and he holds meetings as the Lord's plan for him. He does not sit for hours each week writing sermons for the Lord gives him the words to speak. The Spirit is the best teacher!

I know of some Bible Colleges here that teach any religion you like as long as you have the fees. Others won't pass you unless you abide by their particular doctrine. Maybe a true Bible College is rare these days.

The thing would be to seek clear direction from the Lord as if and where one should go.

2007/3/19 6:05Profile
BenBrockway

Re: Should Pastors go to Bible school

Thank you all so much for your input. It certianly has given me some insight, and even a little clarity. Thank you to those who also gave examples of personal experience in either of the camps. I appreciate that BOTH camps have been willing to share their views, experience, and knowledge concerning my question. My utmost desire is to do the will of our Lord.

Until the moment of His return, may our lives be a reflection of Him, and may Truth always be proclaimed,

Ben

2007/3/19 11:08Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy