SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should pastors be schooled?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
BenBrockway

Re:

For some reason I could not find the school for which you mentioned...

2007/3/15 17:02Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Ben, it's an allegory -Leonard Ravenhill used to answer 'Bush University' when asked his alma mater -he did however attend Cliff College (Samuel Chadwick's school) but never graduated.

He would then say that the founder of 'Bush University' was Moses... he's talking about the experience tha Moses had when he saw God as the burning bush.

Leonard Ravenhill also lamented that christian colleges didn't teach classes on prayer, intercession or weeping.

Leonard Ravenhill also quipped that he had never attended 'cemetary *cough* I mean seminary'

2007/3/15 17:06Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Oh, yes... I recall that now... thank you iansmith. Ravenhill mentioned that a few times.

2007/3/15 17:08Profile
orchardkeepe

Harvard, IL

Re: Should pastors be schooled?

Well brothers, as I've read through this thread, I have seen a lot of various comments as to the necessity of "school". I guess I have to look at what Paul wrote to Timothy to shed some more "light" on this subject. Paul tells Timothy, "Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

Now what does this word "study" really mean? Well, it comes from the Greek word spoudazo.
Spoudazo (spoo-dad'-zo)means to use speed, i.e. to make effort, be prompt or earnest.

But that isn't really how we interpret it in English, is it? We think about "study" like in school, right? Is that what Paul really meant when he told Timothy to "study"? If I translate II Timothy 2:15 direct from the Greek, it actually reads, "Be eager to present yourself approved to God, a workman unashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth."

So, do we really need to go to school to be a pastor? I don't know, but that's how I learned all this!!

2007/3/16 3:03Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well i know D.L Moody never went to bible school. As what i know he didn't go much in "regular" school either...but he won millions for Christ...

schools useful? yes...
necessary? no....

2007/3/16 3:29Profile

Re:

Most Christian colleges in the US are becoming very liberal and not so "christian" anymmore. There are still some really good, conservative Bible colleges out there, and I dont see anything wrong with availing ones self of their services if you're able to... [b]however[/b] if God has called someone to preach, He will enable them to preach.

There are a lot of people out there with PhD's that I wouldnt give you 10 cents for. I hired one a couple years ago... he had a PhD in electrical engineering and had been a professor at UNC. I needed his services on several projects I had going. I also fired him 6 months later because he was worthless when it came to the practical application of what he had been teaching for 20 years. I think in a lot of cases this is true of pastors who have all their schooling and degrees.

The gospel is very simple. Simple enough that I have seen 10 yr olds do a better job of explaining salvation than an adult with a Bible school education.

[b]1Co 1:25-29[/b] [i]Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: [b]But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise[/b]; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to naught things that are: [b]That no flesh should glory in his presence[/b].[/i]

Krispy

2007/3/16 6:55
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Brother Andrew and Leonard Ravenhill (graduate of Bush University) are two of my favorite preachers who never finished college.

Leonard Ravenhill was a 'graduate' of Cliff College, Calver, Derbyshire and studied under men like Thomas Cook. (New Testament Holiness)

2007/3/16 7:34Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Thank you all for taking some time to impart your thoughts and wisdom on my question. :-D

2007/3/16 15:04Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Schooling is not a requirement to be a pastor but it is beneficial.

2007/3/16 15:36Profile

Re:

This is a tough question, because it can't be answered using yes or a no.

Every man must hear what God would have him to do. Some men need schooling, some don't, it's that simple.

Some men need schooling not for education purposes, but to learn to submit. Very very few others are so humble that they by pass the college and head right into the ministry.

But it's important to hear the voice of God for yourself.

2007/3/16 15:51

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy