SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Blue Like Jazz

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
chadster

Blue Like Jazz

Has anyone heard of this somewhat new release by this title, written by Donald Miller. (published by Thomas Nelson, I believe) I understand the 20 and 30 year olds are going wild over it, and that is an expose of the weaknesses in the churches that this generation grew up in..I'd be interested in any feedback that anyone might have.

2007/3/14 16:59Profile
RMEChaplain

Re: Blue Like Jazz

I read it several months ago and rather enjoyed it. It has a "Christian Hippie" mentality about it. It makes a "straight-n-narrow" conservative like me stop and think. Maybe we don't have all the answers.

2007/3/14 17:26Profile
Santana

Re:

I was at the airport bookstore the other day and this was the only Christian book that I found in the whole store. I don't know what that means. ;-)

I think it came out a few years ago, don't understand why it's becoming big now.

2007/3/14 17:28Profile
jordanamo

Donald Miller is the poster-boy of the Emerging Church revolution, a false representation of Jesus all together.

It is a false movement. Based upon a rebellious spirit of anti-orthodoxy. It puts experience above Scripture. It lacks an understanding and revelation of God as God. It lacks an understanding of the Cross.

It is seeping into every corner of American Christendom. And it is not of God.

Jordan

2007/3/14 17:36Profile
lovegrace

Re:

I disagree with Jordanamo.

I heard Donald speak at the Fusion Conference at Orlando. He honestly challenged us to WALK OUT our faith in Jesus Christ, cause it's the only hope for the world.

Donald Miller seems to use Ray Comfort's mentality of evangelism. Basically, breaking it down and SHOW the person they need Christ. I don't mean actual 'ray comforts' teaching but instead the mentality.

God moves DIFFERENT ways through DIFFERENT people.

Something wrong with getting caught up with this website. Is that some people get the idea we need a 'Spurgeon' or a 'Wesley' or a 'Luther' etc etc. [b]We don't need them.[/b] Honestly, we wouldn't listen to them. Why? because our CULTURE has CHANGED!

What we need is someone who is FULLY captivated with our Holy Loving God. We don't need a 'Paul'. We need [u]a people[/u] who will follow what HE says to do for such a time as this.

2007/3/14 17:51Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

So what about the emerging church is different than any other denomination or church... I know members of 'the emerging church' that are totally sold out for Jesus and living their lives powerfully in the word and in faith.

No more blanket condemnation! Just because young people read the bible and get something different than you doesn't mean they're wrong, Jesus may just be showing Himself to them in a different way.

The reason that 'blue like jazz' has become so popular is that a lot of ministries have been handing it out for free (that's radical in itself). I've seen it at Christian book tables and other events, I haven't had a chance to read it, although it doesn't look like it would interest me that much... I like my books to draw blood mentally!

2007/3/14 17:59Profile
jordanamo

Re:

lovegrace,

I exhort you to take in this admonition from Peter,

2 Peter 2:1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of truth will be blasphemed. 3 And in their greed they will exploit you with false words. Their condemnation from long ago is not idle, and their destruction is not asleep.

4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to chains of gloomy darkness to be kept until the judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly; 6 if by turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to ashes he condemned them to extinction, making them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7 and if he rescued righteous Lot, greatly distressed by the sensual conduct of the wicked 8 (for as that righteous man lived among them day after day, he was tormenting his righteous soul over their lawless deeds that he saw and heard); 9 then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials, and to keep the unrighteous under punishment until the day of judgment, 10 and especially those who indulge in the lust of defiling passion and despise authority.

Bold and willful, they do not tremble as they blaspheme the glorious ones, 11 whereas angels, though greater in might and power, do not pronounce a blasphemous judgment against them before the Lord. 12 But these, like irrational animals, creatures of instinct, born to be caught and destroyed, blaspheming about matters of which they are ignorant, will also be destroyed in their destruction, 13 suffering wrong as the wage for their wrongdoing. They count it pleasure to revel in the daytime. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their deceptions, while they feast with you. 14 They have eyes full of adultery, insatiable for sin. They entice unsteady souls. They have hearts trained in greed. Accursed children! 15 Forsaking the right way, they have gone astray. They have followed the way of Balaam, the son of Beor, who loved gain from wrongdoing, 16 but was rebuked for his own transgression; a speechless donkey spoke with human voice and restrained the prophet's madness.

17 These are waterless springs and mists driven by a storm. For them the gloom of utter darkness has been reserved. 18 For, speaking loud boasts of folly, they entice by sensual passions of the flesh those who are barely escaping from those who live in error. 19 They promise them freedom, but they themselves are slaves of corruption. For whatever overcomes a person, to that he is enslaved. 20 For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. 21 For it would have been better for them never to have known the way of righteousness than after knowing it to turn back from the holy commandment delivered to them. 22 What the true proverb says has happened to them: “The dog returns to its own vomit, and the sow, after washing herself, returns to wallow in the mire.” (ESV)

Be careful. I have nothing else to say.

Jordan

2007/3/14 18:42Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

This question about the book was posed here recently, one of our dear brothers here at SI(Compton) posted an insightful overview of the book, I have copied it below...

I read through most of the book in one sitting last summer so this is more of an initial reaction then a'review'...

While I count Donald Miller as a dear brother, and believe he would make absolutely great conversation across a cup of coffee, I consider him a Christian author of more style then substance.

The problem I had is that he was turning his personal confusion, questions, and search for authentic answers into a type of humble virtue. Unbelief is put forth as being more honest then belief...This is a persistent problem with the 'emergent' Christian writer...in their wry critique of 'churchianity' they resign themselves to always being confused and uncertain about their walk with God...and often become downright irreverant and arrogant about it!

I think Donald Miller is part of a stylish trend of adolescently minded Christian thinkers who shift the emphasis off of scripture and onto their own emotional and intellectual angst...confusing human sincerity with faith. They imply that this self-absorption is 'being honest' with the reader...and seem to feel that the 'relevant' Christian will have more to offer people from exogeting culture then from exogeting scripture. Cultural relevancy is the mantra...and talking more about questions then answers is their 'connection' to the culture.

As a result, these post-modern writers might appeal to post-modern cultural tastes, yet ironically, are woefully irrelevant to the needs of the post-modern soul,...when compared to the spiritual nourishment of much older writers such as Bunyan, Carmichael, Chambers, or Spurgeon. The soul does not live by clever and insightful social commentary on religon, faith, and politics... but by God's Word.

In recent years I have begin to ask myself why the most popular Christian books of my day bear no resemblance in substance to the vast archive of great Christian books that do resemble each other, from many centuries past.

One of these things is not like the other!

Blessings,

MC

2007/3/14 19:02Profile
chadster

Re:

Thank you everyone for your comments. I did a bit of research on my own and most of what I found on the internet was very positive and supportive of this book. This of course, may just be representative of the spirit of the age and the watered down Christianity that most Christians in America are being rasied on. As a confession, though, I do struggle with how to be "relevant" and communicate with today's generation in an effectual way and not turn them off with religion (Jesus in fact spoke against the religion of his day!); but at the same time communicate the claims of Christ. I too grew up in a legalistic church and so much of what I saw was not genuine Christiainty...so I guess I can understand why this generation who is really into what is genuine has found fault with established "churchianity".

I really appreciate In the Light posting Compton's analysis...that was really insightful and exactly what I was looking for. While we need to be culturally relevant, we cannot be uncompromised in the slightest when it comes to the call of Christ to "come and die!". I think this is what today's generation doesn't want to hear. They want a loving Christ who accepts them as they are, and isn't making any demands on their life. (or at least any that require self denial or serious sacrifice). Sorry for processing out loud here! :-)

Again, thank you everyone for your thoughts...I knew you guys would come through for me with some really substantial feedback! Blessings to all of you!

2007/3/14 19:52Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Here are God's words about being CULTURALLY relevant.

Acts 13:36
"For David, [b]after he had served the purpose of God in [u]his own generation,[/u][/b] fell asleep, and was laid among his fathers and underwent decay;

Then in Acts 17:22-34 it shows Paul speaking a message a little different than the rest. Instead of saying 'the Messiah has come' he refers to Jesus as an 'unknown god'. Today, if we talked like that, brothers (like yourself) would say 'thats sin and blasphemy'. Not only does he refer to the 'gods' of their culture but THEIR Poetry. *Vs.28*

Jordanamo, I think you should maybe take a few steps back. And maybe, just for once, ask yourself, "Can I be wrong?" or "If I'm wrong, what would that mean?"

2007/3/14 22:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy