Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bible college

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
John173

Omaha

Bible college

When I was first saved I looked around at the wide variety of churches in the United States and could find nothing that seemed to match the Christianity I was reading about in the bible. Nothing even came close! I looked at all these pastors and leaders and thought, what has your education and degrees bought you? A head full of knowledge and a complete lack of understanding of God's ways?

The fact is, I can find no biblical basis for bible colleges or seminaries. Zip, Zero, Nada, None. The only New Testament saint that I am aware of that had any institutional education was Paul. What was his opinion of it? Rubbish.

So what is your opinion, why is it that we persist in thinking that the ability to pass some man taught classes in theology, writing a few papers and passing some tests qualifies someone for leadership? Is this God's method or man's?

Seriously folks, what gives?

Doug

2007/3/14 11:58Profile
John173

Omaha

Re: Bible college

Footnote

I do not mean to call into question every pastor or leader who has gone this route. However, if you are effective in ministry it is because you are walking with God and have grown into a level of maturity in Him that enables you to lead. There is nothing wrong with a good education, only in our over emphasis/belief in the idea that education equals qualification for leadership.

2007/3/14 12:05Profile

Re:

John173 - I think most on this site would agree with you. I know there are annointed preachers who attended bible school or seminary, but in general this is just another product of todays babylonian church system.

New Testament Christianity Preacher
Baptised with fire and the Holy Spirit

Todays preacher
Baptised with a degree and a Willow Creek church plant package

In Christ - Jim

2007/3/14 12:15
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I think it all depends on what you do with the education you receive. There is much to be learned in studying Greek, and Hebrew for yourself. It also helps to have a grasp of History(both Church and World) so we know why we beieve the things we do.

Of course there are many who have taken advantage of the, "I don't need no school" idea, and have taught some very bizarre doctrines, and there also have been some who have gone to high ranking Seminaries that teach heresy. So who knows.

The biggest problems I see in Bible Schools is that the Bible becomes simply a text book rather than a divine wonder, and that there is a lack of prayer or spiritual development because there is so much emphasis on homework, and paper writing.

What would be amazing to have is a place where guys could get away for six weeks or so, and really get into the Bible, and maybe a little Church History, with lots of prayer time.

2007/3/14 12:21Profile
mom23beagles

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA

Just as an example, Jim Cymbala of the Brooklyn Tabernacle in NYC never attended a seminary or bible school. His wife, Carol, leads the choir and arranges the music but cannot read nor write music, she never learned to do that. God has gifted them both with abilities to preach, teach and minister without formal training. Both have powerful ministries that are grounded in the Word of God, and inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Many denominations will not allow a pastor to be ordained to the pulpit without them having attended bible school/college. I don't think any of the apostles went to bible school ;-) - they learned from and were inspired by God the Father and Christ Jesus, and were also given boldness to preach the truth by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Mia and Bailey, Dugan Buddy & Agnes the beagles.

2007/3/14 13:18Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I understand what you are saying but, does there need to be a dichotomy between spirituality and the intellect? Must we choose between the two or can we develop them both?
Jesus said unto him, [i]Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.[/i] This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.(Mat 22:37-40).
Develop them all.

Here's a quote from Donald S. Whitney's book titled [i]A God Entranced Vision of All Things[/i], where he writes about Jonathan Edwards and spiritual disciplines...
In contrast to Edwards's example, most people seem to lean one way or the other, favoring devotion or doctrine, piety or theology. But strong piety will not excuse us from the study of theology, nor will a strong theology compensate for a lack of piety. [i]Edwards models the fact that a real understanding of the truth of God will set the heart on fire, and that the heart set on fire by God will burn with a love for learning his truth.[/i] As it was with Edwards, sometimes the things of God should appear so beautiful to our minds that we can't help but study and meditate on them and so ravish our hearts that we want to weep or sing (p. 128, emphasis mine).
In Christ,

Ron

2007/3/14 14:28Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

What about studying to show yourself approved?

Jordan

2007/3/14 15:18Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Quote:

John173 wrote:

The fact is, I can find no biblical basis for bible colleges or seminaries. Zip, Zero, Nada, None. The only New Testament saint that I am aware of that had any institutional education was Paul. What was his opinion of it? Rubbish.

Doug

There's also no biblical basis for denominations and other things in Christianity.

Jordan

2007/3/14 16:27Profile
lovegrace

Re:

Quote:

jimdied2sin wrote:
New Testament Christianity Preacher
Baptised with fire and the Holy Spirit

Todays preacher
Baptised with a degree and a Willow Creek church plant package

Sorry, that made me laugh.

:-P

2007/3/14 17:53Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with a good education, only in our over emphasis/belief in the idea that education equals qualification for leadership.

You nailed it!!!

I’m currently in a leadership class at Bible College.

The professor says we are deceiving ourselves if we think our education qualifies us for leadership more than those without degrees.

He says most times the congregation just expects the “educated” to lead, and that it takes time to explain that you can be an educated “non-leader”

2007/3/14 18:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy