SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Your thoughts on Sanctification?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

PreachParsly wrote:
Quote:
It should happen at conversion, but does it? If we look at Christianity today, is snactified living apart of one's faith (or belief system) and way of living?

The way I see it, it's part of the "package" we call "conversion."

1Cr 1:30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
1Cr 1:31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

So, I guess the next question to pose is... Do we then have a false conversion?

I mean, if we don't live a sanctified life, having put sin to DEATH in our "conversion" are we truly converted?

2007/3/13 13:30Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

This may be a first...but I agree with BenWilliams!!!! :-P

Quote:
Sanctification is a work that the Holy Spirit does in conjunction with man.

It is the process of a man becoming holy.

It is not to be confused with righteousness, as we are already righteous through Christ. It is in simpler terms the process of mortifying the flesh, and walking in the Spirit.

Sanctification begins at conversion, it is the process that begin at conversion done in conjunction with the Holy Spirit to stop sinning.

Justification means that our sins are not held against us any longer, sanctification is the actual work in which we actually strive to stop sinning.

2007/3/13 13:32Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:
sanctification is the actual work in which we actually strive to stop sinning.

Is it? Or is sanctification the END OF SIN? I'm not asking this to create dissention, but is your definition Scriptural? It seems like Scripture indicates:
Romans 6:8-14
[b]8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him.[/b] 9For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

[b]11In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.[/b] 13Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. [b]14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.[/b]

2007/3/13 13:39Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

If we became born again, does that not mean that we are a new creation, putting off the old ways of sin? If this is true, in that we died to our past ways of wickedness, doesn't "putting to death" mean that the life of the sinful nature then becomes snuffed out... it's dead, done, gone?

:-D I'm just thinking out loud with everyone. I'm not hear to create adversity.... (EDIT: I mean dissention, not adversity!)

2007/3/13 13:44Profile
DIEDTOSELF

Minnesota

Re:

Quote:
If we became born again, does that not mean that we are a new creation, putting off the old ways of sin? If this is true, in that we died to our past ways of wickedness, doesn't "putting to death" mean that the life of the sinful nature then becomes snuffed out... it's dead, done, gone?

If this is true do we consider impure thoughts to be an attack from the devil or is it a part of are sin nature that will not completely die until we are transformed in his image? I like to believe in entire sanctification but this has got to be a process of cleansing the mind from our old sinful self that we lived in before being born again. Just my thoughts in my experience in my walk with Christ. The same here just thinking outloud.

Brother Craig

2007/3/13 13:54Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
I mean, if we don't live a sanctified life, having put sin to DEATH in our "conversion" are we truly converted?

When we are born again, we are dead to sin.

Rom 6:3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
Rom 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Rom 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also [in the likeness] of [his] resurrection:
[b]Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin. [/b]

If we look at sancitification from the begining, maybe we can see if it is a process or not.

Gen 2:3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Here is something my pastor always says, "You can't get any more holy than the blood!"

2007/3/13 13:54Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

G37
ἁγιάζω
hagiazō
Thayer Definition:
1) to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
2a) consecrate things to God
2b) dedicate people to God
3) to purify
3a) to cleanse externally
3b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
3c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

(1Th 5:23)
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Jos 3:5 And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you.

Eze 20:12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

Eze 36:23 And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.

Eze 38:23 Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Joh 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.

2007/3/13 13:58Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
G37
ἁγιάζω
hagiazō
Thayer Definition:
1) to render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
2) to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
2a) consecrate things to God
2b) dedicate people to God
3) to purify
3a) to cleanse externally
3b) to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
3c) to purify internally by renewing of the soul

(1Th 5:23)
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Eph 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
Eph 5:26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
Eph 5:27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

Jos 3:5 And Joshua said unto the people, Sanctify yourselves: for tomorrow the LORD will do wonders among you.

Eze 20:12 Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

Eze 36:23 And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.

Eze 38:23 Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am the LORD.

Excellent Scripture hmmmhmm... so what are your thoughts considering the Scripture you shared? Is sanctification a process, or should it be an immediate taking place unto true conversion?

2007/3/13 14:12Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Jay Wrote:

Quote:
This may be a first...but I agree with BenWilliams!!!!

Well y'know Jay, I'm not completely insane...yet! ;-)
--------------------------------------------------

So far, all I have seen in this discussion from the opposing side about sanctification is personal preference, no reference to hardly any scripture. I want to bring up a very interesting point here:

Let's start with salvation.

When a man is saved, he is forgiven, and is made instantly righteous in God's eyes.

That is called Justification.

To those who think that Sanctification takes place at salvation, what is sanctification. And why does the scripture differentiate between holiness and Sanctification, and Justification.

Paul tells us that our Sanctification comes through the word of God. Specifically in dealing with marriage.

[b][color=CC0000]Ephesians 5:26

26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,[/color][/b]

I submit that if a marriage needs the word of God to be sanctified, than certainly every other part does as well.

I would also suggest to anyone who does believe sanctification occurs immediately at salvation,(or should) needs to go to the Old Testament and read about sanctification, so that they can have a true perspective of what it really means.

2007/3/13 14:22Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

i believe there are some immediate, when we are born again, we become a new creature, but there are still things in us that need to be cleansed,

i use my own life as a "type", when i got saved i immediately got cleansed from many things, totally delivered. The things that hindered me from following him, but then i picked up the word of God, and then God shows me things to deal whit, things i must forsake, cleanse myself from,

the word through the spirit shows me what i need to do, convicts me and makes me want to be holy

these verses can mean other things to

but to me they speak about us cleansing us to be a testimony to the world, that there are a people who are "holy" sanctified, a people that 'shines like a light' in this dark world, Gods people

God gives strength and power to do the this, but i also can see that it is a testing, will you sanctify yourself? God don't force you, there is the process,

if we where immediately sanctified totally, then there would be no need for praying about it, no need to go listen to sermons...becuse I'm finiched...

just my thoughts on it

2007/3/13 14:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy