SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A Christian's Authority

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
girlfreddy

Ontario, Canada

A Christian's Authority

A short history on my view of authority. All my life (until the last few years) I had been rebellious to authority. All authority in my early life had led me down a garden path (and not a nice one!) and so I rejected authority of all types. Even upon becoming born again 10 years ago I struggled with authority, especially in the church. A few years ago this changed and I knew that I had to learn how to submit whether or not I agreed with the authority.

Now just a couple of weeks ago, someone gave me a book to read on authority in prayer. I didn't want to read it, but felt compelled to by the person who lent it to me (I respect her a lot). Almost every word I read pertained to something that I have been going through, reading or thinking in the last six months, so I guess I was supposed to read it. Anyway, now I am hitting this authority thing again, but from a different perspective.

In my heart, part of me has always wanted this authority in order to help those whose lives have been decimated by satan and their own choices. To have the authority to bring deliverance and freedom to people is an awesome thing. But part of me also reels at the responsibility that comes with it and that's what makes me cringe. For it means giving up more of "me" for God's use; becoming less "me" and more "Him" in a way. And I know that this is the way that I should (and will eventually) go, as I always have before when He's led me into a new chapter.

Maybe right now it's more my selfishness that is rising up, mostly because in becoming a "leader" with more "authority" I also must always, first and foremost, be a servant to all. To always be humble and willing to be called upon, even when I don't want to be.

Anyway, enough moaning and groaning. What I wanted to ask was for advice from those who God has called into new authority for their advice and wisdom in this. I have had a prophetic calling for quite a while now, and am fairly comfortable (not always though) in giving words, but to begin speaking with authority in prayer seems bigger to me in some way. Any words of advice would be appreciated and any prayer would be greatly accepted.

Thank you.

2007/3/12 8:52Profile
John173

Omaha

Re: A Christian's Authority

Hi Helene and welcome to Sermomindex,

I wish I had some sage advice for you, but find myself rather to be in a somewhat similar place in my walk. I'm looking forward to what the other saints here have to say. You mentioned reading a book about authority in prayer but did not name it. Care to add this info?

In His Love,

Doug

2007/3/12 10:11Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re: A Christian's Authority

It seems as though God has already said everything you need to hear on the matter. What is your response? Will you heed the call, or run like Jonah?

In the case of authority, it is important to remember that we never have any authority of our own. All authority has been given Christ. He is the authority. If we have any measure of authority, it is not because we have authority, but that Christ who is working through us has authority. It is important to approach this topic with fear and trembling because when God consecrates a person solely for His use, to be His representation on earth and display His authority, this person must be completely broken unto the Lord. Such a person will know the call by the suffering and trials they will face. A person will be broken by the Lord and such a breaking will leaving the person feeling utterly helpless. Christ said, "Apart from me you can do nothing." This statement must become so utterly true in the person that they will not do anything unless they are sure it is of Christ.

In addition, the person should have a healthy fear of the Lord fully knowing that they will face greater judgment for the responsibility given. Be fearful, for the Lord will take away everything that stands in the way of you being used by Him in holiness. And we will be held accountable for every word we say. I have learned to remain silent until I am absolutely certain the Lord wants me to speak.

If the Lord has called you to be a leader in prayer, indeed this is a most important position often misunderstood and downplayed. God has chosen to work through men, and God will not make any move unless someone first prays. All things begin with prayer. If God has chosen you to lead in prayer, you must learn how to pray and pray often. You must learn how to pray with the Holy Spirit and power in the will of God. A person called to lead in prayer must learn how to become so completely united as one with Christ that every word this person speaks in prayer is exactly God's Will. The very desire and heart of this person matches God's heart, and every word is untainted. You will know if you have such a gift if your prayers are answered and ministries are blessed through your prayers.

I would suggest you begin by reading about "praying Hyde." (You can google that phrase and find information.)

Another book that is helpful in understanding spiritual authority as designated by God is a book named, "Spiritual Authority" by Watchman Nee. The book is rather dry, but it makes clear the position of authority as given by God through His Church.

I am sure there is a wealth of other resources on this topic and God will lead you accordingly. May He direct your footsteps. May you be crucified and prepared for His work.

In love and in Christ,

Blake

2007/3/12 10:52Profile
girlfreddy

Ontario, Canada

Re:

Thank you for your advice. I have read of "Praying Hyde" before in my travels, but am not really well acquainted with him. I just know of him and his total dedication to prayer, but many of the revivalists were quite close to him in their yearning for prayer and the power of God that is held within. And to John, the book was by Dutch Sheets and I think it was called "Authority in Prayer". (I gave it back already).

2007/3/12 17:45Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Who would you say has the most authority in prayer?
A prophet, a saint, a pastor or a son or daughter of God?

"Christ in you the hope of Glory"

1 John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Corinthians 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

Who gives us authority in prayer?

John 16:26-27 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: For the Father Himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

1Th 5:17 Pray without ceasing. How is this accomplished? Because of the Holy Spirit in us.
Can we pray without ceasing? Absolutely. By the Christ that is in us and by the Holy Spirit praying for us and by God hearing all that Christ and the Holy Spirit speak in us, for us, through us, by us and all we are in speaking to our Father. When God is busy, who gets through always? His Children.

Romans 8:27-31 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?

Always praying in all things that are working together to those that Love God.

A son: Phillip

2007/3/12 21:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy