SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : pleasing god through singing?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
coolcap2007

pleasing god through singing?

I am in a youth band at church and the adults said we are allowed to give a little msg if we want. Tomarrow I want to give a msg before we sing our last song. Can someone tell me if we can actually plz god through our singing? I would think that we are supposed to sing to god because we are thankful, and god is only pleased not because we are singing, but because ourlifestyle through the week was in obedience and we were in relationsihp with him by reading praying etc, and then when we sing at church then god knows our hearts were correct and then hes plz...but not because we sang, but because i guess you could call it our preparation untill we sing on sunday was right in our heart...but not preparation im looking for a better meaning...but what is peoples views on this....basically i know lots of people go to church just to sing because they think it pleases god but they dont live a lifestyle with the lord but for the world instead...so what do you people think is the right msg i can say about worshiping when we sing songs to god

2007/3/10 22:29Profile
Lotis

Re: pleasing god through singing?

God loves a song that comes from a pure heart of worship. :) Here are a few scriptures from the NIV:

Psalm 63:5
My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.

Psalm 98:5
make music to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and the sound of singing,

Paul and Silas sang, and the captives were set free!

Acts 16:25
About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them.

Every creature will one day sing to God, his throne room is filled with angels and creatures that do nothing but sing his praises for eternety:

Revelation 5:13
Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!"

Even God sings:

Zephaniah 3:17
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

Here are just a few more admonitions to sing:

Ephesians 5:19
Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord,

James 5:13
[ The Prayer of Faith ] Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray. Is anyone happy? Let him sing songs of praise.

I hope that shows that God is pleased with singing, he loves when his children sing his praises and when they sing love songs to him in worship. But certainly he sees the heart, a tainted heart will not produce true worship no matter how great a singer you may be. God sees through the falsehoods and pretenses of peoples worship when their hearts are not right in his eyes. God LOVES to hear us sing (even though we may be poor singers physically :-) ) but certainly, the only thing that gives us the right to worship God in a congregation on Sunday morning, is the fact that we have been worshiping God in secret all throughout the week prior. I hope that helps somewhat at least! Jesus is King!

2007/3/11 0:11Profile
kerrylou

Australia

Hi,

I'm not too sure about singing to please God. That is not to say it doesn't please God for, whatsoever is of faith pleases God.I typed "sing unto the Lord" into a text search and got 31 references concerning singing unto the Lord. A good number of them were a commandment or encouragement to sing to the Lord. Our exaltation of Him and our thanks to Him being the chief reasons for singing. In the New Testament we are encouraged to speak to ourselves (that is: especially to one another) in psalm, hymns and spiritual songs: "singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord." Ephesians 5:19.

One of the first questions that came to my mind as I read your request was, did Jesus sing? He certainly did Matthew 26:30.

Psalm 135:3 says, "Praise the Lord for the Lord is good: sing praises unto His name for it is pleasant." Since the Scripture says it is pleasant I suppose we could accept that singing pleases God - especially as it expresses our ongoing trust in Him.

By the way [I hope I'm not doing anything wrong] I used e-sword which is freely available on the web.

Hope this helps.

Kerry

2007/3/11 0:19Profile

Brother,

You're young, and I'm young in the LORD, but my only recommendation here is do not let you band get too carried away with externals - louder music doesn't make you more heard that soft hymns, a great guitarist or drummer can't replace the worst singer who sings about our LORD from his or her heart, with tears in their eyes (because a true worshipper, even if he or she is a terrible singer, sounds like a opera star to God [A.W. Tozer, for instance]).

Try to stay with hymns that most people already know (so all can participate) and, if you bring in new songs, ensure they're simple and easy for EVERYONE to memorize.

Ensure that the instrument volume doesn't drown out the worshippers' voices - the instruments' melody is there to guide our voices in harmony (don't try to be "Rock Stars" in church; Jesus is the only "Rock" and "Star").

Finally, and this is only a personal suggestion, try not to stand in front of the congregation or near the alter when you "lead" worship - that is God's place, not man's... and I fear I've seen far too many worship teams assume the "rock star" mode when they position themselves where Jesus ought to be.

I am somewhat of an amateur musician and these are only personal suggestions. And I am young in the LORD and have much to learn about the inner workings of the church. Just stating what I've seen, what I dislike, and what I personally think is good and acceptable worship.

2007/3/11 1:13
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Corey,
Amen!

Mind if I make one point? Let the songs you sing focus on the greatness of God AND then detail how he is great. Get it? Too many contemporary songs focus on humans and not on God. Lots of modern songs will say "I praise you....you are so good..." but fail to say how this is true. Follow me?

Just let the Holy Spirit fill your heart and mind and only say the things he is putting there for you to share...

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2007/3/11 8:56Profile

Re: pleasing God through singing?

coolcap said:

Quote:
I would think that we are supposed to sing to God because we are thankful, and God is only pleased not because we are singing, but because ourlifestyle through the week was in obedience and we were in relationsihp with him by reading praying etc,

Sing with all your being!!

But let not the quote be your reason for adoration to the King of kings. It has nothing to do with what YOUR doing, but it has everything to do with what He HAS done. Always remember that, never allow that thought to slip. It's Jesus Christ and Him crucified only, nothing more.

You can do all that church expects from you, reading the bible, praying, witnessing etc.. (and all these things are wonderful and keep doing it) But don't let them be the reason why your worshipping God.

I said all this for this reason, lets say you didn't pray or read your bible all week. Should you worship God? You certainly should, for it's by Faith that you worship Him in Spirit and in Truth, for he that comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. It's not by your performance that causes you to worship Him, but its exclusively by faith in what Jesus has done for you and me, after that, it's all gravy!!

Make a Joyful Noise 8-)

2007/3/11 12:47

Quote:
basically I know lots of people go to church just to sing because they think it pleases God but they dont live a lifestyle with the Lord but for the world instead

Leave that with the LORD!!

Don't push your standards of holiness on them. But preach Christ to them, that is the gospel of reconcilation, and expect the holy Ghost to do the changing, NOT YOU.

It's the WORD that does the seperation, it will cut asunder. I've seen legalistic churches tear people apart because they don't live like they do.

Leave the changing and conviction to the LORD. Just love them like Jesus would love them and you'll see the changes come and you'll be amazed at what love can do.

I remember a time when I used to do some nasty things, even while I was a Christian. Over time, I had stopped doing this or that, and I didn't realize that until the LORD spoke to me and told me that He had done it. It just fell away.

Colossians 2:20 "Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,(Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Which all are to perish with the using;)"

If your young, learn this early in life, it will save you alot of grief later.

2007/3/11 13:01

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy