Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : SAYINGS OF GEORGE WHITEFIELD

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 SAYINGS OF GEORGE WHITEFIELD

[b]SAYINGS OF GEORGE WHITEFIELD[/b]

"As God can send a nation or people no greater blessing than to give them faithful, sincere and upright ministers, so the greatest curse that God can possibly send upon a people in this world, is to give them over to blind, unregenerate, carnal, lukewarm and unskilful guides."

"We cry out against popery, and that very justly; but we are all Papists; at least, I am sure, we are all Arminians by nature; and therefore, no wonder so many naturalmen embrace that scheme."

"God the Father and God the Son entered into a covenant concerning the salvation of the elect from all eternity, wherein God the Father promised, that, if the Son would offer His soul a sacrifice for sin, He should see His seed. God as a reward of Christ's suffering, promised to give the elect faith and repentance: and both these, and every thing else necessary for their everlasting happiness, are infallibly secured to them in this promise . . . Would to God this point of doctrine was considered more, and people were more studious of the covenant of redemption between the Father and the Son! we should not then have so much disputing against the doctrine of election. For my own part, I cannot see how true humbleness of mind can be attained without a knowledge of it; and though I will not say, that everyone who denies election is a bad man, yet I will say, it is a very bad sign redemption is so ordered, that no flesh should glory in the Divine presence; and hence it is, that the pride of man opposes this doctrine, because, according to this doctrine, and no other, 'He that glories, must glory only in the Lord'."

"One reason among many others why I admire the doctrine of election and am convinced that it should have a place in a gospel ministry is that it has a natural tendency to rouse the soul out of its carnal security, and therefore many carnal men cry out against it: whereas universal redemption is a notion sadly adapted to keep the soul in its lethargic sleepy condition, and therefore so many natural men admire and applaud it."

"It is the doctrine of election that mostly presses me to abound in good works. I am made willing to suffer all things for the elect's sake. This makes me preach with cornfort, because I know salvation doth not depend on man's free-will, but the Lord makes them willing in the day of His power, and can make use of me to bring some of His elect home, when and where He pleases."

"I go; I go to a rest prepared: my sun has given light to many, but now it is about to set - no, to rise to the zenith of immortal glory. I have outlived many on earth, but they cannot outlive me in heaven. Many shall outlive me on earth and live when this body is no more, but there - oh, thought divine! - I shall be in a world where time, age, sickness and sorrow are unknown. My body fails, but my spirit expands. How willingly would I live for ever to preach Christ. But I die to be with Him." (Extracts from Whitefield's last sermon before his death).

2007/3/10 19:04Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: SAYINGS OF GEORGE WHITEFIELD

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:

How willingly would I live for ever to preach Christ. But I die to be with Him.

2007/3/11 6:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy