Image Map
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Support : MUST READ: The Message Board Handbook

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

MUST READ: The Message Board Handbook

[img]http://www.sermonindex.net/revival/featuredresources14.gif[/img]

Brother Doug (John173) asked me to start a thread on how to do certain things on the message board. I'll put a few things on here, but it would be great if everyone could help.

I'll start with just a general overview.

First off I recommend anyone that hasn't read the "Forum Rules" to do so. The link is [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14144&forum=13&3]here.[/url]

[u]Terms commonly used (message board jargon)[/u]

Forum- This is a public facility to meet for open discussion.
Message Board- An electronic forum. Message boards usually have several different forums divided up into topics.
Thread- A series of messages dealing with the subject. :-) This is the ideal anyways.
BBCode- Bulletin Board (message board) Code. This is code that is used to format your message. This type of code uses []'s around the tag name. [example] [/example]
HTML- Hypertext Markup Language. This is the common type of code used for web pages. This message board allows you to use some HTML to format your message. HTML codes use < >'s around the tag name. < example> < /example>

[u]Questions[/u]
Note: You must be logged in to do any of these things.

How do I reply to a thread?
To reply to a thread, you just click "Reply" on the message you want to reply to. It should be in the upper right corner of the post. If it isn't make sure you are logged in.

How do I start my own thread?
First off make sure you are in the forum you want your thread to be in. To do this go to [url=http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/]Site Discussions[/url] This link is located under the "Main Menu" over on the left hand side of the screen. Then click on the forum you want your thread to be in ex. Welcome & Intro.

How do I edit my post?
All you do is look for your post and then click the Edit button. It will look the same as when you created your message.

Why it is that my message was posted multiple times?
This is probably because you clicked submit more than once. Sometimes if you click submit more than once your browser will send the information for you post more than once. If you have clicked it once, wait for awhile and make sure your browser isn't active. Sometimes the server may be alittle slow.

[u]Overview of creating your message[/u]

Let's look at each section of the message creator (I don't know what to call it!)

About Posting: This tells you some information about the thread you are creating or replying to. It will always say "All Registered users can post new topics and replies to this forum"

Your Name: This is telling you what user name you are logged on as. You can click your name to look at your profile or click Logout to log yourself out.

Subject This is where you name your new thread or reply. When you create a thread you must give it a name. It's a good habit to do this when replying to a thread also.

Message Icon: You can click the dot beside the icon if you want there to be an icon next to your subject.

Message: This is where your actually message and formatting will be.

URL You can click this button to insert a web link. It will pop up a box that will first ask for the URL (web address) of the site. Then another box will come up and ask you what you want to name it. What ever you name it is going to be the text others will see when reading your message.

IMG This is how you would insert an image in your post. [u]You should never use this unless it as been approved by a moderator.[/u] When you click that button there will be a box that pops up and asks for the URL of the image. Then after you click OK another box will come up and ask how you want the image aligned. It's easiest to just leave this blank.

EMAIL If you want to insert an e-mail address you click this button. It will pop up a box that asks for the address.

QUOTE You can use this to insert a quote. A box will pop up and ask you to insert your quote.

Below the buttons are tools you can use to change your text. You must type the text into the little text box and click "Add" for it to be in your message.
SIZE You can click this drop down box to change how big or small your text will be.

FONT You can choose from a few different styles of fonts.

COLOR You can select from several colors here.

There three check boxes you can select.

B This will make the text bold

I This will make the text italicized

U This will make the text [u]underlined[/u]

Remember you must insert the text you are wanting modified into the small text box by the Add button. Then click the Add button when you have selected the way you want your text to be.

The big white box in the middle is where your type you message.

There are smiley faces right under the large text box that you can insert into your message. Just click the one you like. If you want to see more of them, click more...

If you are replying to a thread there will be a QUOTE button right above the smiley faces. Click that button to quote the entire message that you are replying to. After you do that, you can edit out parts of the quote if you didn't want the whole message.

Options: You can select a few options here. You can select:

Disable Smiley if you don't want smiley faces to be in your post.

Disable html if you don't want the message board to mistake anything for html code.

Email notification if you want an automated e-mail when someone replies to your new thread. I think this only works with new threads, I think I remember someone saying that. I've never tried it myself.

Attach Signature This is probably always selected. I don't think it will do anything different if you unselect it. So, I would just ignore it.

At the bottom we have three buttons:
Preview You can click this to see a preview before you post. I would recommend [u]always[/u] doing this. Read it over and pray about it.

Submit Click this when you are sure that is what you want to submit.

Cancel Post Click this if you decided you do not want to post.

[u][b]BBCode[/b][/u]

Here is some of the common BBCodes that are used. Please note that I cannot type the code exactly like I would or you will not be able to read it. Instead of using [ ]'s I will use { } . {code} instead of [code] Many of these you can just use the tools mentioned above, but some prefer to just type the code themselves. It's quicker for me to just type them.

[b]Bold[/b] {b} your text here {/b}

[b]Italics[/b] {i}Your text here {/i}

[b]Underlined[/b] {u} Your text here{/u}

[b]Quoting[/b] {quote} insert your quote here{/quote}

[u]HTML[/u]

Here are some of the HTML codes that are used. Again, I can't type the code exactly like it would be or you couldn’t read it. Instead of using < >'s (Notice the difference between that and BBCode) I will use ^ ^ 's ^example^ instead of < example>

Blockquoting ^blockquote^ Your text ^/blockquote^ This is what I used above in the make it look like it was "pinched together". In other words the tab on both sides look moved in.

[b]Big font[/b] ^big^ Your text here. ^/big^ This is what I have used for the headings to make it larger.

Small Font ^small^ Your text here ^/small^ This is an example

Bullets ^li^ Your text here ^/li^ This is what I have used on each word in this section. You will have to put the code around each word you want bulleted. Note: that it is 'Li'

There are more HTML codes that are allowed. You can see them in the "Message" section of when you are creating a message. The ones I haven't mentioned are not used as much. If you want to mess around with them just create a new thread, play around with them, and click preview. [u]If you do this make sure you do not put anything in the subject.[/u] If you don't put anything in the subject you can't accidentally press submit and it go on the message board. That way you won't end up with a mess for a moderator to clean up. 8-)

2007/3/9 20:57Profile
John173

Omaha

Re: The Message Board Handbook

Josh,

Wow, this is great. Thank you so much for putting this thread up, I'm sure it will be a great help to many here.

In Him,

Doug

2007/3/9 21:12Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

This is excellent brother Josh. Time well spent, I will sticky this thread in the support forum so it will be referenced by many more people. Do "edit" your first post and add to it that way so its easy to reference for furture use. Great work.

2007/3/9 21:21Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I'm done with it. If someone notices something that is wrong, please let me know. Also, please, if there is anything you use that is not on my post, let me know and I will put it in.

2007/3/12 14:00Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

Here's a tip I've found helpful. I use Explorer 7 which enables multiple tabs to be used. There are times when I want to respond to several posts at one time. Since the reply button only allows access to one post I open a new tab and navigate to the same thread on the new tab. This enables me to refer to what everyone has said in that thread as well as copying quotes from more than the one post. I usually open a third tab for the [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/search.html] blueletterbible[/url] website, an excellent online resource containg a King James concordance (main page) as well as several other helps such as commentaries and a lexicon.

Blessings to all,

Doug

2007/3/12 15:36Profile
roadsign

Re:

Great help, PreachParsly, and nicely formatted.

Perhaps you could explain how to prevent double posts - ie - click only ONCE on the Submit button.

Diane

2007/3/12 15:48Profile
repentcanada

Re: The Message Board Handbook

Does anyone know why I cannot add a URL (or even a quote in a different color, for example) to my signature in the "View Account Section"?

All I can do is add simple text, with no alterations to that text.

Thank you,
Ricky

2007/6/7 8:58Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote:

repentcanada wrote:
Does anyone know why I cannot add a URL (or even a quote in a different color, for example) to my signature in the "View Account Section"?

Thank you,

Ricky

testing testing

[b]testing testing[/b]

[u]testing testing[/u]

Thanks

2008/2/11 14:55Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:

repentcanada wrote:

Thank you,
Ricky

My guess is that the buttons have been disabled for the signature. Although you can type in the code and it will work fine...

2008/2/11 15:29Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy