SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Am I a prostitute?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Am I a prostitute?

Since I have become a Christian, I have been to several churches around the world. I go to churches of different denominations and races.

My present, morning church, 'puritian' pastor says that we must stay at 'our own' church and not go to other churches. He and his 'puritian' senior insist that those who go to other churches are prostitutes.

As for me, my home church is an all black baptist church in Canada, but since I have been to Korea, I have been to about seven other ones. My fiancee and I find great joy in learning from different pastors, since we are both relatively new in our walk with the Lord.

Most likely, we will be heading back to Canada in June and then I will be entering a three year master of divinity program. My college is rather far from my baptist church, so I will not be attending there on a regular basis.

After completion of the masters program, I will going wherever God needs me. My fiancee and I feel that we are more a part of the church of Jesus, rather than any specific one here on earth.

Our pastor seems to be trying to lay down a guilt trip and to some extent it is working, but I do not feel the I am grieving the Holy Spirit. I believe that God understands our heart and that our heart is set upon Him.

Does this make me a prostitute? :roll:

God Bless those who Glorify Him,
BrianMira

P.S. Question 2: Does it then matter where our 10% goes? We always give, but not always the same church... :-(

2007/3/9 20:44

Re: Am I a prostitute?

Quote:
My present, morning church, 'puritian' pastor says that we must stay at 'our own' church and not go to other churches. He and his 'puritian' senior insist that those who go to other churches are prostitutes.

Rubbish, foolishness.

Romans 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Be led by the Spirit, and let the holy Spirit be your guide.

It's these thoughts that keep us divided as a body. We should visit our brethern in other churches. Your church won't like you, in fact they won't want you be to be apart of their inner circle. Big Whoop,

God Bless and have fun fellowshipping with believers in other churches.

2007/3/9 20:52

Re:

One 'puritian' pastor said that by going to another church is like sleeping with your spouse 364 days of the year and then allowing them to sleep with someone else the other day. :-(

2007/3/9 20:58
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
One 'puritian' pastor said that by going to another church is like sleeping with your spouse 364 days of the year and then allowing them to sleep with someone else the other day

Sounds like one pastor has an active imagination!

ginnyrose

2007/3/9 21:35Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Does this make me a prostitute?

Only if you believe this man's requirements of you and allow him to "seduce" your conscience.

I believe that he is out of line, because it would seem that he is not allowing his members the freedom to be led by the Spirit.

Diane

2007/3/9 21:41Profile
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Re:

Consider:

By "hopping around", do you get a proper opportunity to both give and receive exhortation as well as build ties with other Christians for the sake of having a legitimate fellowship where you can grow in loving others up-front?

This isn't meant to be a criticism; I know a few "church-hoppers", but I have to say that when it comes to displaying love for the brethren, they were somewhat lacking.

2007/3/9 22:52Profile

Re:

Quote:

intrcssr83 wrote:
Consider:

By "hopping around", do you get a proper opportunity to both give and receive exhortation as well as build ties with other Christians for the sake of having a legitimate fellowship where you can grow in loving others up-front?

This isn't meant to be a criticism; I know a few "church-hoppers", but I have to say that when it comes to displaying love for the brethren, they were somewhat lacking.

intrcssr83...

I understand your point about 'hopping around'...

As for me, I was dedicated to my baptist church in Canada for two years, but then I came to Korea.

Last year was my first year here and I was led to a certain church where I attended for a full year (until the completion of my teaching contract). During that time, I went to Seoul, for a weekend, to visit Yoido Full Gospel Church, which is/was the largest membered church in the world.

In May of 2006, my contract finished and I found a new job in a different area. I was led to the church across the street from my apartment, which is where I met my now fiancee.

By September of 2006, my fiancee's father suggested that we attend 'morning church', which is popular in Korea. The one they attend is near her families house about a 15 minute drive from my apartment. So, we agreed and since September, I have been waking up at 4:20am (Monday - Saturday) and driving (I bought a car) to her house, where we walk a 'hop-skip-and-a-jump' to the 'puritians' Amen Church.

Although, we 'religiously' attend her 'families' church, across from my apartment, every Sunday (5am and 11am), her family (minus her mother) and I go to this other church the other six days of the week.

However, my fiancee and I have explored around during other times on Sunday at various other churches (some English speaking and others because we were invited).

We also visit her grandmother about once a month and she is a member of the Salvation Army church, so we usually stay there over night on the weekends, therefore, we go to church there.

We have also gone to Seoul and attended YFG again, because I wanted her to experience it before we left. We intend to go again, and God willing, to many other churches before we leave.

I do not feel that our love is lacking for any brethren (not that you were insinuating that), but actually, I think it has been growing tremendously with each and every experience we had, especially for God and one another.

We are committed to where we are, so much so that we volunteer our time for events and take part in youth bible study and help out whenever asked, but the thing that gets me is what the morning church pastor AND HIS WIFE say about attending different churches.

Anyway...I just wanted to clarify so that no one thinks that I am 'hopping' or 'sleeping' :-( around on my church.

That being said...I would love to attend churches all over the world...including any suggestions that SI members might have... :-D

God Bless those the seek the Lord in all they do,
BrianMira

2007/3/10 3:54
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

Good heaven's what will they think of next to lay these guilt trips on people!! Shame on Church Leaders who do this.

It reminded me of an assembly we visited years ago. The Pastor said 'people who roam from church to church are wandering stars who have no substance'. :-o

I have never heard them call people prostitues before though :-? What people resort to, just to play the numbers game is pathetic!!!

Blessings

2007/3/10 4:00Profile

Re:

I go to a Calvary Chapel service Sunday mornings, then a homeless shelter service Sunday afternoons, then an interdenominational prayer group Monday evenings, then to the shelter again on Wednesdays for a Bible study group, and then I attend a pentacostal prayer group on Thursday mornings... and just last night my mother and I had dinner with an Anglican priest (gasp!)...

Maybe I need to confess all my religious naughtiness (or harlotry) to a Catholic Priest now, too...?

2007/3/10 4:33
kerrylou

Australia

Hi,

I read your post first and then all the others that followed so far. This has been rather amusing but I can see, so far (although I'm sure someone will come with a different view shortly) the general consensus has been to just ignore the accusation. I am inclined to agree even though I attend one church and am fully involved in its ministry. I wold plainly say, it doesn't make me a better christian than you, nor morally purer. Sometimes things just happen that way. Just make sure you're getting the food you require to grow in the Lord.

Jesus loves you,

Kerry

2007/3/11 1:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy