SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I want to be a preacher when i grow up.......

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

I want to be a preacher when i grow up.......

To me to be a preacher to the lost and to preach the word of God most be the greatest gift from God! what a privilege and a responsibility, i don't believe you can be a good preacher and have a bad prayerlife... but if it was Gods will and by his mercy id like to be a preacher when Ive become a little more mature, and i pray God would use me for his glory, i don't think i have it in me, in a natural way to become a preacher, i lack all abilities to stand before men and talk... not that i in any way is worthy of this privlige..but it is something in my heart that longs to stand up before unsaved men and women and proclaim Jesus Christ to them, there is something about this that so fascinates me, sometimes i wonder maybe it is of my "flech"...? some secret sort of pride who wants the applause of other religious people for being a good preacher / teacher, i guess that is something all preachers have to be cautious of....

but there is nothing more that i would like to do! then to preach the word of God... and if God wants me to ill do it...if he has something else for me i know thats is even better for me.... even if it wasn't what i wanted i trust my God for guidence...may my 'spiritual' ears be open to hear his voice....

2007/3/9 6:53Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: I want to be a preacher when i grow up.......

I have heard it said that preaching is in your very spirit. If you find yourself preaching to all those around you, you have the heart of a preacher.

[color=6600CC]Rom 10:14 ¶ How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? [/color]

Here is what the Strongs Concordance says about the word preacher:

1) to be a herald, to officiate as a herald

a) to proclaim after the manner of a herald

b) always with the suggestion of formality, gravity and an authority which must be listened to and obeyed

2) to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done

3) used of the public proclamation of the gospel and matters pertaining to it, made by John the Baptist, by Jesus, by the apostles and other Christian teachers

1) a herald or messenger vested with public authority, who conveyed the official messages of kings, magistrates, princes, military commanders, or who gave a public summons or demand, and performed various other duties. In the NT God's ambassador, and the herald or proclaimer of the divine word.

Step out and be a preacher everywhere you walk. You have an opportunity daily to preach the word and as you are found doing this you will find how God will use it in the future.

[color=6600CC]Jos 1:3 Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses.[/color]

[color=6600CC]2Cr 5:20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech [you] by us: we pray [you] in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. [/color]

If you go and proclaim the word you will find out real soon if you are called to it. The more you do it the easier it becomes. When you see God deliver someone because He used your mouth to preach you will be hooked.

[color=6600CC]Jer 20:9 Then I said, I will not make mention of him, nor speak any more in his name. But [his word] was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not [stay].[/color]

We don't need a pulpit, the world is our pulpit. Jesus walked through life and spoke the word to whoever was around. We can do the same. Preach it Brother hmmhmm.

2007/3/9 8:31Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

Goldminer wrote:
We don't need a pulpit, the world is our pulpit. Jesus walked through life and spoke the word to whoever was around. We can do the same. Preach it

amen

2007/3/9 8:34Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Quote:
i don't think i have it in me, in a natural way to become a preacher, i lack all abilities to stand before men and talk...

If a man thought he was a good speaker and became a preacher, would this man ask God for help? God doesn't call the talented because they will not seek Him. Anyone who realizes they are not good enough will be able to be used. For this person will continually cry out to God that He will do the work.

Quote:
i guess that is something all preachers have to be cautious of....

What preachers really need to be cautious of is the words they speak. Is God speaking through them, or are they speaking on their own accord?

Before any preacher can be used by God to speak His Word, this preacher must be broken. The preacher must have a healthy fear of the Lord, a fear unknown by others, that makes him tremble in the pulpit so that the preacher dare not speak anything except what the Lord commands. Every faculty, from the mind to the heart, must be completely surrendered to the Lord so the Word of God is not hindered. The man must be able to say, "Lord, you know all things," fully realizing that He is worthless.

In love,
Blake

2007/3/9 8:50Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Quote:
some secret sort of pride who wants the applause of other religious people for being a good preacher / teacher, i guess that is something all preachers have to be cautious of....

This is a good observation. It can work both ways also. One can feel the pressure to preach grace when God is saying repent or repent when God is wanting to minister grace. Not that the two are opposed- but we have to be willing to say what the Lord lays on our heart and be careful of the influences we take in. A steady diet of certain types of p[reaching tends to get one off balance. You need a complete dose of the word of God so as to guard against extremes in any area.

God Bless,

-Robert

2007/3/9 9:11Profile
Pilgrimsway

Lawton, OK

Re: The World is your pulpit

"Lectures to My Students" by Spurgeon should be required reading for anyone who thinks they are called to be a preacher. Spurgeon actually suggests (and gives techniques) for outdoor preaching. THAT is not something you hear about anymore!

2007/3/9 12:13Profile
kerrylou

Australia

Ha! Ha! Boy, does this thought bring back some memories! At the age of 5 I was preaching and leading worship as I "played church" with my brothers in our backyard. We took turns in being the congregation; the song leader, and the preacher. We did not know it then but, we had a permanent member of our congregation working in his garden behind the hedge. He was our first convert.

At the age of 13 (I will admit I was having problems with relationships with teachers and students, but I only wanted to preach the gospel yet, like you I was not a speaker) I ran away from home to preach the gospel [this is not something I recommend].

Today I drive for a living and am thankful that I have a pastor who willingly alloes me to share his pulpit so that I may speak that which the Lord puts on my heart. There is no more joyous moment than that at which I am able to speak of Christ.

Some years ago I was shut out of the churches in my town and anguished over closed doors preventing me from sharing God's good news. I finally decided that no one - except myself - can stop me from witnessing. I began to write gospel sermons and put as many as I could afford and cope with into the letterboxes around our town. They became my congregation. I soon discovered that, by this means I could have the largest congregation in town and wrote a discussion called "The Letterbox preacher". I became attatched to the title and used it as a nickname but others began to think that I used it as a means of exalting myself over others so I stopped (it was never my intention).

I still have those sermon tracts and use them from time to time just to remind myself that, whom God calls He predestines to be conformed to the image of His dear Son.

Never let the dream die!

Love,

Kerry.

2007/3/9 12:55Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

thanks for everyones thoughts about this, i don't feel i would be a "pulpit" preacher... id like to preach to the lost, (even thou many lost people sit in front of a pulpit) the man on the streets...ive seen many "street preachers" in America, i don't "agree" whit some of the "tricks" Ive seen some do, but Ive never seen one in my own country, Ive noticed among the videos Ive seen that those people travel a lot to different collages and different locations, i guess thats good, but id like to "work" right where i live...in my own town , the majority of people in my area is Muslims, drug addicts and mental ill people...

is the sick who needs healing, thats how i feel.
i don't want to build a church, i want revival... i want a spiritual awakening in my country... since i don't see anyone else go and preach it , I'm tired of just "complaining" about the lack of good preaching... i want to do some work for the Lord, if it is his will i should go...i will...

i do feel I'm not ready yet, i don't want to run out there if Gods not going whit me.

2007/3/9 13:01Profile
BradW

Edmonton, AB, Canada

Re: Preachers

Is this "Lecture to my Students" available on SI?

2007/3/9 13:33Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Christian, I really love your heart. Its so childlike! A heart that seems easily mouldable in the Potter's hand.

Those who see they are nothing is more useful to those who think they are something.

Quote:
but id like to "work" right where i live...in my own town , the majority of people in my area is Muslims, drug addicts and mental ill people...

My husband and I are lead the same way.

Just recently we believe God has called us out. The Lord had us focus and ministreing inwardly (church) for a while.

We felt God's call just recently to come out and go preach the gospel outside and that He has prepared a field for us.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had a dream. I saw I was with this group and a person came out of no where standing at a distance from me and the group (I believe the group symbolises todays church). The person spoke to me and told me to seperate myself from the group and go to the orchard and pick fruit. Then I saw myself in the middle of a large orchard field. I looked at the fruit on the trees and could not believe my eyes! The fruit was so ripe! It was so beautifully ripe! I remember picking one of the fruit off the tree and was staring with amazement at how ripe the fruit was.

I believe that dream to be a confirmation to what God has been pressing in me and my husband's heart. That He has blessed us to go out and preach, and has prepared a field for us. We also have had more confirmation from God that is making it clear that He is sending us out.

Someone mention about being encourage by Spurgeon. Yeah he's a great encouragement. God had recently encourage me with Catherine Booth. I didn't know anything about Catherine booth, only heard much of her husband, William. I picked up a book about them at a used book store last week wanting to read about William Booth. I was surprise to learn much about Catherine! I didn't know that she was also used in a radical way. That women was a fiery preacher! Willian and Catherine was a powerhouse together!

Very excited in hearing the desire of your heart! I will be praying for you.

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself also in the LORD,And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

2007/3/9 13:37Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy