SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Merry Christmas

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Merry Christmas

I just wanted to share with you all something that I have been saying everyday for about two years... Merry Christmas...

I say it to people in passing, but most times when we are departing one another. Here in Korea, and I am sure it would anywhere else, it takes people off guard and makes them think.

We have all heard people ask why many only celebrate Jesus' birth once a year, but I am trying to spread the Good News of Him, in varying and subtle ways, especially when times may not be as appropriate or understood by saying something more 'christian'.

Therefore, rather than saying goodbye, seeya, talk to you later, or just bye, I smile and say MERRY CHRISTMAS....

Try it... it does spread joy, not only in others but in your very own heart...

Anyway, I just wanted to share that...

God Bless...and MERRY CHRISTMAS...
BrianMira :-)

2007/3/8 20:52
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

Re: Merry Christmas

That is very sweet Brother.

A saying I've heard is - 'Remember His birth then kill Him off a few months later, that's it for the year' :-( How sad.

On the other hand is a 'newer tradition' - I guess you are aware of 'Christmas in July'. Hmmm... I wonder if this was made for people who cannot wait another 6 months for more pressies!!! This is also another good opening for talking about our favourite person, Jesus!

I'm sure you get some great responses and openings from that, so I say to you 'Merry Chrstmas' Brother

Blessings

2007/3/8 22:12Profile
jordanamo

Re: Merry Christmas

Brian,

I clearly understand the good intention of this, and am not questioning your motives thereof. However, I would like to caution you, as I find something quite disheartening in your telling people "Merry Christmas" yearlong. There are many places to touch upon, much so that I cannot add them all here. But I would just like to tell you that, Christmas is associated more with the commercial, gift-giving aspect of it, than it is with Jesus. Saying Merry Christmas is like saying "Happy Thanksgiving" when it's July-- it sounds nonsensical and someone might be quite misunderstanding of your good-intentioned statement. Thus I recommend if you so wish to announce our Lord's birthday, at least say, "Jesus is risen, and alive." Because saying even "Jesus is born" would be pointless on paralell with "Jesus is risen and has defeated death!"

For I would like to caution you in your celebrating Jesus' birth this way and in other ways in generality-- Jesus never condoned this. He only condoned the rememberance of His death, and for one to propagate the rememberance of His birth over His death-- is a dangerous thing to do, even if you have good intentions. Once a year is enough to celebrate His birth, due to social norms and what-have-you, it is nice to be around family. But throughout the year, I would caution you on this point.

I could go on, but I will not for the sake of time- on such things as how making statements as these can be empty, even if your intentions are rather well. For the statements themselves almost diminish the very essence of what Jesus did when we state them, such as when we tell John 3:16 to a sinner-- it can be 'cliche'... for we are not to be mere propagators or preachers in word alone of the Gospel (that should not be our focus), but our very lives are to be a light unto the world, shining that Jesus was born, died, and was risen-- in Glory. I hope you understand, I clearly see your heart and am not questioning your motives, just your actions.

Jordan

2007/3/8 22:48Profile

Re:

joyinjesus8,

Thank You and Blessings to you, as well.

jordanamo,

Thank you for your comments, but I disagree. I understand your concerns and your points, but I do not feel that I 'diminish the very essence of what Jesus did' by saying Merry Christmas, especially in a country that is over 75% non-christian (most are buddhists).

I believe that I spend most of my days being 'a light unto the world, shining that Jesus was born, died, and was risen-- in Glory.' This is something I say, mostly to children (but to adults as well), so that they have a seed of some truth within them.

You should understand that I make it known that I am a Christian and that I speak to them about Christianity whenever possible. Saying Merry Christmas is like a little icing on the cake, which makes them think a little more about what I am trying to explain to them.

Most Korean children and adults do not celebrate Christmas in anyway. Actually, most of them work and attend school during our 'traditional' holidays season.

Like I said, I understand your concern, but I believe that with a well balanced glorification of God, one is able to celebrate Jesus' birth as much as his death. You said, "Once a year is enough to celebrate His birth, due to social norms and what-have-you, it is nice to be around family. But throughout the year, I would caution you on this point."

I hear your caution and thank you for it, but I will continue, especially in the context that I do so.

Merry Christmas and May God Bless You,
BrianMira

2007/3/9 4:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy