SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : my failures in leadership

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
timmyspitz

Cottonwood, Arizona

my failures in leadership

I am an assistant pastor at one of God's churches in AZ; and my specific area of oversight is the men's ministry here at the church. I have for sometime wondered why the ministry seemed to lack his power and this is what God has shown me.

Rom 2:21-23
21 You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal? 22 You who say, "Do not commit adultery," do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?

It is not Christian leadership when I try to send people to a place I am not first willing to go?
Leadership is dependant on people following one who walks before them.
The shepherd in Israel is quite different than the shepherds of the western world who use dogs to drive them. But he walks in front of the flock and as they would hear his voice they would follow.
If this is true and can be applied to Christian leadership, how can they follow me when I trail behind.
How can I expect those in my charge to arrive at a place where I’m not going?
How can I call others to go to a place I have refused to venture?
How can I tell others to scale a hill, I am not willing to climb?
How will I ever see to it that others bring down strongholds where I haven’t first found victory?
How can I expect others to forsake the things I still hold onto?
No this is not Christian leadership. I can all it whatever I like; but I cannot call it leadership;

And I cannot call it Christ-like.

Matt 10:24-25
24 A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25 It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household!

Christ never asked His disciples to bear anything that He Himself didn’t first bear in example.

“As i have done” were Christ’s words to His disciples
"Serve as I have served" - John 13
“Love as I have loved you.” -John 13
“Obey as I have obeyed” -John 15
“Have compassion as I had pity on you” - Matt 18
He also said, "Take your cross" because He was already carrying His.

And he even says:
John 14:12
"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also;"
He did the works that He wanted the disciples to do.

God has shown me the work must begin with me and in me for it to spread to those who follow me.

2007/3/8 11:37Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: my failures in leadership

Dear precious brother every one of us needs to take this to heart. Thanks for your transparency.

2007/3/8 11:47Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Thank you for those words. They hit home with me.

Quote:
God has shown me the work must begin with me and in me for it to spread to those who follow me.

Amen brother. Let revival begin our own hearts first.

2007/3/8 11:56Profile
Compton

Quote:

Thank you brother for your testimony.

Your words did hit home. They are not just a challenge to 'leaders' but to every Christian. For instance I must be learning how to be a Christ-like father, raising my children in the fear and admonition of the Lord, and a husband loving my wife as Christ loves the Church.

Quote:

Brother I would humbly add that perhaps you not wait too long before sharing your burden with those who are watching you. Not knowing you I want to offer that just because you, as a leader, are called to be an example to the flock, doesn't mean you are burdened with being the only example to the flock...we are called a body with good reason! The dichotomy between leaders and followers is perhaps too stressed in my experience...sometimes with deabilitating effects on both sides of the equation. If I were with you I should want to take responsibility along with you. We should all be desiring to be examples to the flock.

Just by showing your heart the way you have, you have been an example to me. Now let me join you in wanting to also be Christ-like.

Blessings,

MC

2007/3/8 12:30Profile
timmyspitz

Cottonwood, Arizona

REPLY TO COMPTON

I totally agree with you.
I have found and often shared with the men in my church (correction- God's church where I serve) that there isn't a single believer who isn't in some sort of leadership and will be held responsible for that position.
Even the youngest believer has the call to be a leadership to the unsaved in leading them to Christ.

2007/3/8 12:49Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Hi Timmy,

Quote:
How will I ever see to it that others bring down strongholds where I haven’t first found victory?

I agree by and large with what you are saying. I would just like to add a few thoughts. When I think of strongholds I am thinking of an advanced form of an evil reasoning. II Corinthians 10 tell us about thoughts, reasonings, and strongholds. It is a progression, I think. Thoughts come together to form an evil reasoning and evil reasonings come together to form a stronghold. Thus a 'stronghold' in my view, is a [i]fortress of lies[/i] that have caused a deception(s).

Now we have to define 'victory'. Sometimes we can get into a mode where we think that unless we are 100% sinless and never stumble to a single temptation that we are not qualified to minister. Certainly God demands holiness. Yet, we run the risk of expecting a sinless perfection out of ourselves that then translates to the people we are ministering to. Soon everyone is expected to be in sinless perfection. This is not to say that we would ever condone sin. That is not what I am talking about. But the fact is- none are perfect. We run the risk of preaching a salvation by sanctification. Because what we are saying is that unless I am in sinless perfection- I am out of favor with God. Yet our acceptance with God is not based upon my perfection. It is based upon the finished work of the cross.

God knows how to deal with His children. Sometimes we try to play God and scare people into a repentance that they are in no way ready to step into. We get upset and up the rhetoric. This becomes a pattern in our preaching. When we get 'the victory' we also are in danger of pride and start to loose touch with the people as ministers. We view them as sinners instead of God's people. This is a sore problem and a dangerous one. We view ourselves as sinners when we sin and we apply that standard to everyone else. We lose our compassion and willingness to restore and counsel people correctly. Just my experience as a so-called repentance preacher. People can be hurting and near suicide and we pour the word of repentance on them. Repentance is a good message- but it must be in season. And when we get into the mode of sinless perfection, repentance is ALWAYS the word in season because all we concentrate on our and everyone elses shortcomings. We get out of balance with ourselves and everyone else.

If God is dealing with you DEAL with it. Don't hesitate. But at the same time don't allow the enemy to put a trip on you to live a standard that is unrealistic. We are never geven permission to stumble or sin. Yet we still do. That is just reality. If I resigned my post after every sin I committed I would have long ago sat down. If my situation warrants it- I must sit down. Yet, I have to know the difference between God's dealing and the enemies 'add-on's. He will take what God is doing in you and run you off the rails if you are not careful. Depression, feelings of failure, wanting to quit, etc. etc. It's the enemies work. We are God's children and we need to feel safe and secure in His House and in His love.

God Bless,

-Robert

2007/3/8 13:32Profile
FireinmyBones1

Michigan

Re:

Dear brother,
I thank you for your honesty and transparency as all of us in church leadership need to understand this simple, but neglected truth.
I remember reading a story about the famed evangelist "Gpysy Smith". A woman had asked him how to start and then to promote revival. His answer to her was to go home, find a piece of chalk and then proceed to draw a circle on the floor, then get inside the circle. Once you are inside the circle ask God to send fire in that circle and do not leave until he does. In other words, revival must begin in us.
Again brother, thank you for your honesty. Your honest words carry a great spirit of conviction.
Burning

2007/3/8 14:02Profile
psalm1

hey bro,i read your post and it made me wonder if you maybe got a tiger by the tail when you took over mens ministry.i dont know how far all this has brought you down,but i can tell you this...i got brought down afew times my self.the first time was the most awsome of all.i learned how to call out his name in faith. When this happened to me it changed my life. He showed me soon afterwards the principle of victory.It is this-it doesnt matter what is happening around you- you have victory because HE says you have victory. in otherwards preach to yourself-get violent with it-you will make a TESTIMONY! I am going to tell you something... THERE IS NO STRONGHOLD THAT CANNOT BE BROKEN!.... hey see if you can get off by yourself and worship Jesus .He can turn this thing on a dime.this christian life is truly an adventure... IF YOU WALK BY FAITH,NOT BY SIGHT.... also you have us your family who love you and care for you and want you to succeed.victory is yours but the testimony is up to you....HEY GO MAKE THIS THING INTO A TESTIMONY. THERE IS A GREAT CLOUD OF WITNESSES CHEERING YOU ON!!!....much love ....and may Gods best be yours..

2007/3/8 16:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy