SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Modest Swimwear

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Perhaps someone else can give us a better expositon on the reasons why this problem is so widespread - other then just wanting to fit in.

"Because the daughters of Zion are haughty, and walk with stretched forth necks and wanton eyes, walking and mincing as they go, and making a tinkling with their feet: Therefore the LORD will smite them with a scab the crown of the daughters of Zion, and the LORD will discover their secret parts. In that day, the LORD will take away the bravery of their tinkling ornaments about their feet, and their cauls, and their round tires like the moon, The chains and the bracelets, and the mufflers, The bonnets, and the ornaments of the legs, and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, The rings, and nose jewels, The changeable suits of apparel, and the mantels, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, The glasses, and the fine linen, and the hood, and the vails. And it shall come to pass, that instead of sweet smell there shall be stink; and instead of a girdle a rent; and instead of well set hair baldness; and instead of a stomacher a girding of sackloth; and burning instead of beauty... (ISAIAH 3:16-24)

Brings to mind Brtiney Spears shaving her head during her recent breakdown...

2007/3/7 13:55

Re:

Quote:
Brings to mind Brtiney Spears shaving her head during her recent breakdown...

That's the world showing all who have ears to hear that that is what it has to offer us... nothing.

Krispy

2007/3/7 14:08
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Modest Swimwear

I think that part of the reason some young women put themselves on display is because they have a deep seated hole in their hearts bacause they had no daddy to love them when growing up or "loved" them in a improper way.

They keep trying to prove that they are desirable and worth something, but are totally ignorant of the fact that this is the wrong answer.

Only Jesus can fill that hole in your heart, not some guy. So they go from man to man to man and none of them are the daddy they missed growing up. They need "The Father".

Also I too am amazed at what some girls are allowed by their parents to where to church or anywhere for that matter. Bellies and cleavage showing, and the parents appear oblivious to it. I had one woman tell me she told her daughter it was OK for a boy to tell her she was beautiful but not hot, as she was dressed in the something so low and tight a prostitute would have worn it. What is wrong with our brains? God help our iittle girls. The mother dressed this way too.

I will tell a personal testimony. I never let my girls wear anything revealing. After my oldest daughter got married she came to my house with a skirt an blouse on that revealed her tummy. I took her aside and told her that her tummy belonged to her husband and shouldn't be revealed to anyone but him. I don't know if she wears that outfit anymore, but she doesn't wear it around me and she is 30 years old.

We, men and women need to be modest. It isn't appropriate for men to wear mini speedos either.

2007/3/7 16:41Profile
joyinjesus8

Outback Australia

Re: Modest Swimwear

Goldminer wrote:

I think that part of the reason some young women put themselves on display is because they have a deep seated hole in their hearts bacause they had no daddy to love them when growing up or "loved" them in a improper way.

This is a large part of the problem. Children learn from what they live with, and sadly most don't have the power to break the cycle. If only they knew there was a Way!

We have the craziest laws now (I guess you folk have them to). Human rights :-P what a joke. They are no rights at all. If you say no to your children or discipline them you can end up n a cell. If someone is wearing revealing clothing they have the right to express themselves (yes, they do certainly express themselves) but others do not have the right to point out the disadvantages of such dress. You could go on and on with examples.

I was looking after one of my elderly clients and she was watching a talk show on the tv. There was a young woman who had had 9 paternity tests for her son, and the latest man was not his father. Her dress was not modest, nor her speech. She was hysterical. My heart went out to her, it doesn't have to be like this for anyone. The thing that struck me was that she said that she has morals. I guess (to the world's view) morals change with the times. But morals are morals, and the Lord's guidelines are there to be taken seriously for they are a safe haven.

There is a total breakdown in the area of moral living, modesty and family values. People are proud and arrogant, catering for self alone, with no real love for fellow man. Yet we can rejoice because we know that He is coming soon!

Matthew 24:37
37 But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

In the meantime let us not be idle, the harvest is ripe.

Blessings

2007/3/7 18:01Profile

Re:

I just saw this. Thanks for the links. I went shopping for dresses this week and in every department store the dresses were either long but low cut or not low cut but too short! :-P I ended up not buying anything!

2008/8/27 21:09
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
whenever we visit an "institutional" church my wife and I are amazed at what some women wear even to church.Krispy

Amen Brother! I have seen some wear more clothes to the beach than Church. You should be so Blessed like me to sit next to my wife and get to hear all the comments she makes when so nice looking lady walks by in front of us at Church with a low cut blouse and short dress and I am not joking I see this a lot. What in the world are these women thinking? are maybe there not thinking or they came strictly to meet a man and not God.

2008/8/27 22:02Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Before what I consider my conversion, I attended a bible college in Southern California. In fact, I went on staff for two years as the resident pool/water feature guy.

A few years before I came, I think they required women to wear shorts and t-shirts over their one-piece suits. By the time I got there, in 2002, they had just begun allowing women to wear "modest" two pieces without coverings. (No two-piece is modest, and, in my opinion, a one-piece is only as modest as that woman is unattractive.) By the time I left in 2005, girls at this bible college were not only wearing the scantest of two pieces but stalked about the campus in next to nothing as well. If a typical swimsuit isn't immodest, what is? What does it say of bible education coming from men who can't realize this and do something about it?

In late 2005, when I came to Christ, I was dumbfounded that this was allowed to go on. They call it "liberty", but I know for a fact, having been a student and staff member, that most men on campus complained to one another about "struggling with lust". Not badly enough to picket the pool!

I'm not out to point fingers. I was with them and I wasn't complaining about anything but the guilt and shame.

My candid request to any woman reading this, and to those men who have influence upon the women they know, is for women to seriously consider abstinence from form-fitting swimsuits unless you're certain you are unattractive. Even then, wearing one promotes the license of others who are. Recommendation: if you want to swim, wear a loose shirt, wear some long-ish board shorts. Better yet, swim with women. That's how it used to be until culture caved to the pressure and temptation.

Finally, some verses for your consideration.

"As a jewel of gold in a swine's snout, so is a beautiful woman without discretion." [Proverbs 11:22]

"[I desire] that women adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control; not with finely-braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly attire; But (which is appropriate to women professing godliness) with good works." [1 Tim. 2:9-10]

"Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious." [1 Pet. 3:3-4]

Note in this next verse the connection that is made between the uncovering of the legs and nakedness. This is to be a disgrace, not because the human form is itself shameful, but because it should not be used in ways tending necessarily to sin, and which defy the post-fall meaning of clothing.

"Take the millstones and grind flour,
put off your veil,
strip off your robe, uncover your legs,
pass through the rivers.
Your nakedness shall be uncovered,
and your disgrace shall be seen."
[Isaiah 47:2-3]

Now here's an interesting observation, for whatever it's worth. Following the fall into sin, Adam and Eve make loincloths, presumably covering an area similar to typical bathing suits. God does not leave them in this condition, but gives them more thorough coverings.

"Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths." ... "And the LORD God made for Adam and for his wife garments of skins and clothed them."

Note Matthew Henry's commentary on this passage,

Observe, 1. That clothes came in with sin. We should have had no occasion for them, either for defence or decency, if sin had not made us naked, to our shame. Little reason therefore we have to be proud of our clothes, which are but the badges of our poverty and infamy. 2. That when God made clothes for our first parents he made them warm and strong, but coarse and very plain: not robes of scarlet, but coats of skin. Their clothes were made, not of silk and satin, but plain skins; not trimmed, nor embroidered, none of the ornaments which the daughters of Sion afterwards invented, and prided themselves in. Let the poor, that are meanly clad, learn hence not to complain: having food and a covering, let them be content; they are as well done to as Adam and Eve were. And let the rich, that are finely clad, learn hence not to make the putting on of apparel their adorning, 1 Pt. 3:3. 3. That God is to be acknowledged with thankfulness, not only in giving us food, but in giving us clothes also, ch. 28:20. The wool and the flax are his, as well as the corn and the wine, Hos. 2:9. 4. These coats of skin had a significancy. The beasts whose skins they were must be slain, slain before their eyes, to show them what death is, and (as it is Eccl. 3:18) that they may see that they themselves were beasts, mortal and dying. It is supposed that they were slain, not for food, but for sacrifice, to typify the great sacrifice, which, in the latter end of the world, should be offered once for all. Thus the first thing that died was a sacrifice, or Christ in a figure, who is therefore said to be the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. These sacrifices were divided between God and man, in token of reconciliation: the flesh was offered to God, a whole burnt-offering; the skins were given to man for clothing, signifying that, Jesus Christ having offered himself to God a sacrifice of a sweet-smelling savour, we are to clothe ourselves with his righteousness as with a garment, that the shame of our nakedness may not appear. Adam and Eve made for themselves aprons of fig-leaves, a covering too narrow for them to wrap themselves in, Isa. 28:20. Such are all the rags of our own righteousness. But God made them coats of skins; large, and strong, and durable, and fit for them; such is the righteousness of Christ. Therefore put on the Lord Jesus Christ.

2008/8/28 0:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Rivqah,

Have you ever considered learning to sew? I have sewed as far back as I can remember and love it. (In fact, there are so many projects I want to do I think I have to live to be 200 years old to accomplish them! I shared this with a lady recently and she said "Good luck!"). This will give you total control on the styles you wear. And it is so much fun! Really! You can be creative and are limited only by your imagination. Now if you think you have this is short supply, never fear, this grows by degrees and can be developed. The biggest thing is to get started. And if you still have some reservations, ask the LORD to see what he would have you do. Methinks He is very interested in this project.

If you wish to discuss this more PM me.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2008/8/28 8:17Profile
JRuth

Moscow, PA

Re:

hi ya'll!
I just saw this thread...
I agree that sewing for yourself is the best way to go. I just want to say thank you for the encouragement given to seek to follow modesty!!
What I need to remember is that modesty is not just clothes and outward appearance...it is also an attitude and a spirit of...being under authority, I think is what it is, somewhere in the root of the matter!

And thinking of being under authority, I highly recommend the messages by Don Courville on '[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=688]How Satan Destroys a Church[/url]' Especially the 1st one ;) hope this ad is ok! ~Jerusala

2008/8/28 13:56Profile

Re:

Quote:

ginnyrose wrote:
Rivqah,

Have you ever considered learning to sew? I have sewed as far back as I can remember and love it. (In fact, there are so many projects I want to do I think I have to live to be 200 years old to accomplish them! I shared this with a lady recently and she said "Good luck!"). This will give you total control on the styles you wear. And it is so much fun! Really! You can be creative and are limited only by your imagination. Now if you think you have this is short supply, never fear, this grows by degrees and can be developed. The biggest thing is to get started. And if you still have some reservations, ask the LORD to see what he would have you do. Methinks He is very interested in this project.

If you wish to discuss this more PM me.

Blessings,
ginnyrose

Yes, ginnyrose I do sew but I am working a full time, 10 hour a day job and I have five kids so I haven't had much time.

I honestly hate fussing over anything, maybe it's impatience or else I have ADD. If I am totally into something I do really well at it. I am either totally into it or I am not at all. If I don't have enough time to do it right or it is taking me away from anything else more important than I don't bother with it. I guess this is an area I need to work on.

I really DO NOT enjoy clothes shopping. I mostly like wearing long jeans skirts if I can find them. You can wear a dressy shirt with it for church and come home a throw a t-shirt on. :-)

No Ironing,

No fussing,

They don't wrinkle,

Casual or Dressy,

Wash them a thousand times and they still hold up,

Hang them in the sun,

over dry them in the dryer,

run over them with your car,

and they still hold up!

Plus they are inexpensive,

but most of all...

[size=medium]Modest!!! [/size] :-)