SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Musical ministries not offering their music for free, et cetera.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jordanamo

Musical ministries not offering their music for free, et cetera.

Something I find interesting is the amount of Christian artists who are mildly successful offering their music for free via mp3s or whatever. It's a small amount, I can maybe count them on my one hand. (I'm not taking into account people that have little audience that couldn't make much of a profit anyhow-- that's not saying they wouldn't though.)

It makes me sort of sad though. Keith Green & Don Francisco, are all I can think of.

The people signed to big/medium labels I'm not taking into account-- they couldn't give away their music for free if they wanted to for most part at least online (if they bought the CD [which they can i'm sure for a large discount price] and gave it out they could, I suppose-- but most don't offer that as they'd be asked by a ton of people for it etc.-- that's normally just not on their minds)

Of course offering your music for free doesn't mean you're somehow "all-that" spiritually-- but it is nice and puts a smile on my face when I see people do it. Doesn't happen often.

I mean did Jesus charge people to come and listen to Him? Oh but he needed to eat every night, right!? Jeez. Where'd he get the food on his ministry trips? Man! Does this guy Jesus think money grows on trees? Hehe. The Way of Jesus is to depend upon the Lord for our provisions, whether we got a job or we got a full-time ministry traveling abroad or sitting at home inviting homeless folks to spend the night at our houses. So I think things should be free when they come from ministries such as these and preaching and teaching ministries. They should be when the person can provide them easily at least.

I find it a metaphor for the decline of not necessarily songwriting (that's fine depending where you look) but just plain ole' dependency on God.

Thoughts? Comments?--

(I stress though that this isn't a thread really for the "decline" of Christian music or whatever-- that's been discussed in length before.)

Edit: I'm expecting many people to chime in: "Well most Christian artists who are mildly successful are on labels that wouldn't dare allow them to put their music online for free!"-- True, I know. But isn't that the artist's fault?-- To get into a situation where that could happen, etc. It'd be like a preacher/teacher/prophet, say Katz, signing a book deal with a publishing company-- he gets wide distribution, but they won't let him put his book online for free for people to read (which he does).

Jordan

2007/3/5 2:16Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Musical ministries not offering their music for free, et cetera.

I think the excuse that most Christian artists and record companies make is that 'Keith Green was the exception,' and that most Christian artists couldn't live on offerings alone.

2007/3/5 2:22Profile
repentcanada

Re:

I have been blessed by the music from ChristOurLife.ca, and it's all for free downloads

2007/3/5 2:32Profile
jordanamo

Re:

Quote:
I think the excuse that most Christian artists and record companies make is that 'Keith Green was the exception,' and that most Christian artists couldn't live on offerings alone.

Exactly. Many I'm sure think that. But the thing is, if you put your trust in God-- will he not provide? People lack such an understanding of God's ability to help us.

Of course people have their entertainment that they need, or materialistic possessions-- that God wouldn't provide for (generally speaking). And their in debt or something like that. (God could provide for that, not inferring he wouldn't)

Correction: The Restoration Project doesn't offer their music for free, just 30 second samples.

Jordan

2007/3/5 2:33Profile
jordanamo

Re:

Quote:

I have been blessed by the music from ChristOurLife.ca, and it's all for free downloads

Yeah I've enjoyed them too. And I recommend [url=www.dougtanner.com]Doug Tanner[/url] :-)

Jordan

2007/3/5 2:42Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Interesting topic....
It could be a heart problem.... lack of faith, unbelief, the love of money, but I really don't know.
I have heard though of some churches trying to get "christian" bands to play at their churches, but werenot able to because the demands were too much. Thay wanted to get paid thousands of dollars for one show, be flown to and from the event first-class, be put up in the executive-penthouse suite at the local Hilton for the duration of their stay, be wined and dined, etc, etc. But these are just stories I have heard.
It would be nice though to get a few comments from musicians in the industry.
How about those "christian" bands that have ungodly agents? They want to make a buck too.
How bout Christourlife's CD called Living Sacrifice.... Go to their [url=http://www.christourlife.ca/]website[/url], check it out, and download it if you want. It's awesome and it's free :-D ! Thanks ChristOurLife!!!

Be blessed,
Richie

2007/3/5 2:55Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Maybe the difference here is we are talking about artists vs people who share the gospel in song (and what do you call them?) An artist sells his work for a living whereas people who sing to minister do not share the gospel for material rewards. A person really interested in souls does not minister for profit, does he?

Then you will get into the question of copyrights: should it be or not? To answer my own question, I believe every writer has the right to it in order to protect his work. To copyright it means no one can alter it to suit their philosphical viewpoint and thus make the original writer say something he/she never intended. Yet, most groups sing copyrighted songs do they not? And you know, it costs money to copyright your work.

Brother, I am afraid this is a question for which easy answers are elusive.

ginnyrose

2007/3/5 9:11Profile

Re:

I think this is an issue between the artist and the Lord. Keith Green gave his music away, and that was his conviction. He made a lot of artists back then very uncomfortable. But I've heard the argument go the other way... the artist is making a living. THey are producing a product.

One difference between Keith Green and 99.9% of other artists is that Keith Green [b]was[/b] an evangelist and teacher... even thru his music.

Most of Christian music is more about entertainment than ministry. I've been to enough concerts to know that there really isnt any real ministry going on. A quick "accept Jesus... He has a wonderful plan for life" prayer... and thats it. It's not even a scriptural prayer!

So why not pay them for entertaining us? We pay to go to the circus, right?

Krispy

2007/3/5 10:18
Koheleth

NC

Re:

Quote:
I think this is an issue between the artist and the Lord. Keith Green gave his music away, and that was his conviction. He made a lot of artists back then very uncomfortable. But I've heard the argument go the other way... the artist is making a living. They are producing a product.

Completely correct. An artist is by definition not in ministry, because "they are producing a product" for profit. In contrast, one who is in ministry cannot and does not charge. These folks are not "artists", they are ministers. The two cannot be mixed without harming or destroying the ministry of Christ. An important point to remember is that not just artists, but also ministers, need to eat. The first is career, the second should be following God's lead, wherein God will provide (usually through human means, unless you are Elijah).

2007/3/5 11:24Profile
mom23beagles

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA

Quote:
But the thing is, if you put your trust in God-- will he not provide? People lack such an understanding of God's ability to help us.

This is so true, and thank you for the reminder. We have to live in this world, but we are not of this world. I believe God provides if we cast away selfishness and materialism and seek His Will and don't work on our own strength alone.

Most of the music I listen to is Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir, CeCe Winans, Steve Green, Andrae Crouch, and a few others - my CD collection is not extensive by any means but I find music that is inspired by the Holy Spirit has staying power. I can listen to it over and over and over again and it will be a blessing every time. To me it's not entertainment, it's a vehicle to get me to the Throne of Grace and a vessel which God uses in my life to help me to praise Him. I get all the entertainment I need by spending time with my beagles. :-)

I will not judge the artists on this issue, I don't know the circumstances, there may be contractual issues that prevent them from giving away their music for free, etc. By the grace of God, I have the means to purchase the CDs and have also at times given them away to share with others when prompted by the Holy Spirit.

So what am I trying to say here? Certainly, I work for a living, and I credit the leading of the Lord and His Grace for my job, being able to function well at it, where He has placed me at this time and place in my life, etc. I absolutely fault no one for making a living, isn't that what we are commanded through the words of Paul to the Thessalonians?

2 Thessalonians 3:6-13 says:

"Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us.

For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;

Neither did we eat any man's bread for nought; but wrought with labour and travail night and day, that we might not be chargeable to any of you:

Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an example unto you to follow us.

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

For we hear that there are some which walk among you disorderly, working not at all, but are busybodies.

Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread.

But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing."

Just my thoughts on the issue. Blessings to you all.

Mia and Bailey, Dugan, Buddy and Agnes the beagles.

2007/3/5 11:40Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy