SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Truth About Speaking In Tongues - Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

savannah wrote:

If I may offer the following message to any who may be interested, I think it'll be helpful to see the fallacy of such an understanding(above) from the perspective of the full counsel of God.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?sid=41508219400

Dear Savannah,

I did click on your link and clicked off of it because I don't have time to listen to people who down the pentecostal message.

Also Jesus said by your words you shall be justified and by your words you shall be condemn.

The fallacy that you speak of comes straight from the word of God. We will not be judged by the words of men but only by the infallible word of God.

Ac 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

2009/1/16 14:48Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I don't have time to listen to people who down the pentecostal message.

This is why it is not good to go off on theological tangents. When I say "go off", I mean align yourself exclusively with one or another doctrine to the point where you refuse to listen to brothers/sisters with differing views.

On a larger scale, this is what is happening elsewhere in the forum...and people are self-destructing because of it. It steals your joy and splits good, Christian fellowship right down the middle.

2009/1/16 16:48Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

PaulWest wrote:
Quote:
I don't have time to listen to people who down the pentecostal message.

This is why it is not good to go off on theological tangents. When I say "go off", I mean align yourself exclusively with one or another doctrine to the point where you refuse to listen to brothers/sisters with differing views.

On a larger scale, this is what is happening elsewhere in the forum...and people are self-destructing because of it. It steals your joy and splits good, Christian fellowship right down the middle.

Dear Paul,

I agree with you concerning having unity and fellowship among the brethren. The scripture teaches that we are to be likeminded toward one another.

Php 4:2 I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord.

Ro 12:16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.

Ro 15:5 Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:

Ro 15:6 That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1Co 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

2Co 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

1Pe 3:8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:

1Pe 3:9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.

The bible also teaches us to be careful what we hear and receive into out spirit. Maybe I could have worded what I said a little better. I apologized if my words were taken wrong. I don’t believe though that the Lord would want me to listen to unwholesome teaching that would tear down what God has clearly given, even though they may not understand it. I believe all true teaching comes from the Holy Spirit and therefore comes out of the life of the Spirit. The life of the Spirit will never come from a man’s doctrine. We must be very careful concerning the doctrine we accept into our spirit. I pray by God’s grace that I will not spend my time on any teaching that does not edify the spiritual man. We are told to redeem the time for the days are evil. We are told to take heed how we hear.

1Ti 1:3 As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine,

2Jo 1:10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

Ro 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Again, if I have misjudged the message of this preacher then I apologize, but I have been to that site before and was disappointed because they have shut out from their group anyone who claims to have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Many of the independent Baptist preachers say that it is no longer for today. Well I can say that I have not excluded any who have not received the baptism in the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking with other tongues from my fellowship.

I have just now decided to go there and copy what they have written above there articles of faith.

ARTICLES OF FAITH & POLICY STATEMENT FOR BROADCASTING ON SERMONAUDIO:
FULL Members Only: SermonAudio.com embraces the historic Protestant faith and is not open to the dissemination of such distinctive Charismatic and Pentecostalist views as extra-Scriptural revelations, tongues, healing, women pastors/preachers/elders, etc.
Although the site is not affiliated with any particular denomination, we will only carry conservative churches that are fundamental in doctrine and Bible-believing. Every church wishing to broadcast with us must adhere to the following Articles of Faith:

It seems like to me they are the one's who have refused to listen to brothers/sisters with differing views.

2009/1/16 18:49Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:

rbanks wrote:
ARTICLES OF FAITH & POLICY STATEMENT FOR BROADCASTING ON SERMONAUDIO:
FULL Members Only: SermonAudio.com embraces the historic Protestant faith and is not open to the dissemination of such distinctive Charismatic and Pentecostalist views as extra-Scriptural revelations, tongues, healing, women pastors/preachers/elders, etc.
Although the site is not affiliated with any particular denomination, we will only carry conservative churches that are fundamental in doctrine and Bible-believing. Every church wishing to broadcast with us must adhere to the following Articles of Faith:

[edit] Let me rephrase that off the cuff remark. I did not know about these articles of faith. I have not found many preachers on there that I enjoyed listening to. I found one but he did a sermon that would curl your hair against speaking in tongues and I never could bring myself to listen to him again. My bad, I guess.

2009/1/16 19:39Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: To RBANKS

Quote:
Quote:
"...if you are filled like the apostles where in the book of acts you will definitely speak in tongues by the spirit giving the utterance."

"If...filled like the apostles...you will definitely..."

If I may offer the following message to any who may be interested, I think it'll be helpful to see the fallacy of such an understanding (above) from the perspective of the full counsel of God.

rbanks,
I been wondering ever since you answered me when I wrote to Savannah about where she got those quotes. But you wrote because you knew where those quotes came from. Were they originally in "your" post right above hers on the second page? Because they are not there now.

2009/1/16 20:46Profile
pastorfrin

Re: "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:"

Hi all,

Paul says it so very clear in 1Cor. 14:

1 Cor. 14:18-33
I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: [19] Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. [20] Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. [21] In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. [22] Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. [23] If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? [24] But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: [25] And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth. [26] How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. [27] If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. [28] But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. [29] Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. [30] If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. [31] For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. [32] And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. [33] For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

With the evidence we have been given in Acts and the teaching by Paul in 1Cor. I do not see the problem.
If someone, preacher or not says the gifts have ceased, they are in error; when they say all tongues are of the devil, well the Lord will judge them.
I as Paul will praise God that I speak in tongues and if it was of God then, the Spirit within me according to the word of God, says it is of God now.

savannah, sorry your preacher is not preaching the truth.

In His Love
pastorfrin

2009/1/16 21:50Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: The Truth About Speaking In Tongues

I listened to Savannah's link and I just wanted to post what the preacher said; NOT to talk bad about him but to say that he, sadly, got a couple of things correct.

I do not have a problem listening to someone I disagree with (but I didn't listen to it all. I tried though! I really understand what rbanks wrote about why he won't listen. I do not judge him, that is his conviction. I have a conviction that if I constantly surround myself with people I agree with, I wind up being a "yes" person (if you know what I mean). And studying the other is how I left the ___- trib doctrine! Nuff said!!

Now, I'm not going to argue with anyone about this but I found him to be somewhat true on this. I will mark where. Please note, these are from my own handwritting so if something's missing, my bad!
....... It is (something called) Salbalianism where God is manfected in three different persons.
2. They know nothing about the nature of God in relation to holiness.
....... Like all armenians, charismatics can't stand the truth about God's absolute sovereighty. Neither do they understand the doctrine of grace.

I did not agree with the rest but the part above, I understood a little bit where he was coming from. I can see where He gets that opinion from. It does seem like most charismatics (I've done this same thing), when they receive the gift of speaking in other tongues and they throw their Bibles out the window, never to consult it again. "The Holy Spirit's my guide!"

We who do speak/pray in tongues need to be an example against this type of behavior, not causing it!!

That's my two cents worth anyway!

God bless,

2009/1/16 22:06Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

Lysa wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
"...if you are filled like the apostles where in the book of acts you will definitely speak in tongues by the spirit giving the utterance."

"If...filled like the apostles...you will definitely..."

If I may offer the following message to any who may be interested, I think it'll be helpful to see the fallacy of such an understanding (above) from the perspective of the full counsel of God.

rbanks,
I been wondering ever since you answered me when I wrote to Savannah about where she got those quotes. But you wrote because you knew where those quotes came from. Were they originally in "your" post right above hers on the second page? Because they are not there now.

Dear Lysa,

She made those quotes from the last paragraph in the post of mine right before hers. She seem to not agree with my last paragraph and made those quotes from a sentence out of the paragraph.

However her disagreement does not alter what I stated as truth from the word of God. There have been very few filled as the apostles were in the beginning of the church over the centuries. But right now in China there are millions in that underground church filled with the Holy Spirit.

My personal belief is that the bride of Christ will be filled as they were in the beginning. I believe that Jesus will have a people full of the Holy Spirit meeting Him in the air for the final battle over Satan as the Lord brings in His millennium reign.

Blessings to you!

2009/1/16 22:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy