SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Truth About Speaking In Tongues - Zac Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
helengreen

Re: The Truth About Speaking In Tongues - Zac Poonen

I know this is an old thread but being new-ish thought I would add my thoughts...

I started speaking in tongues the week before I got baptized (in water), I was not coached it just happened. I go to a pentecostal church, some do and some do not speak in tongues.

I think doing down tongues is wrong, it's blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, speaking in the Spirit is a gift from God...

As is prophecy and many gifts mentioned in the Bible.

Do all speak in tongues? Years ago I would have said yes but now I have met people who do not and people who do whom are not saved! Devils tongues? Must be this was a New Age lady leading a "trapped spirit into the light" to "cure" a home of being haunted!

Also a program / documentary was done recently on British TV, whereby a minister had a CAT scan whilst speaking in tongues, the result was that unlike us speaking, the brain was showing no activity in the speech department - as though the whole brain was being bypassed.

So speaking in tongues (other languages of men and angels) amen. But the devil does deceive and the Bible says:

Mark 12:28-34
28 Then one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, perceiving that He had answered them well, asked Him, “Which is the first commandment of all?”
29 Jesus answered him, “The first of all the commandments is: ‘Hear, O Israel, the LORD our God, the LORD is one. 30 And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. 31 And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”
32 So the scribe said to Him, “Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth, for there is one God, and there is no other but He. 33 And to love Him with all the heart, with all the understanding, with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love one’s neighbor as oneself, is more than all the whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.”
34 Now when Jesus saw that he answered wisely, He said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.”
But after that no one dared question Him.

ALL who believe on Jesus shall be saved, they must be born-again of the Spirit and then walk with Him. Let us go fishing for souls and act in love not worrying about things, our salvation is assured praise Jesus so long as we do the things He says and use our gifts - which may or may not include tongues, a cup of coffee and a hug to that lonely newcomer to the church is showing love and Jesus came to show us the way, teach us to serve and to love God foremost then everybody else putting ourselves last.

I would say let us follow Jesus' example and we WILL NOT go wrong, eyes on Jesus not on man!

Imitators of Christ we are called to be.

2008/9/30 14:24Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I think doing down tongues is wrong, it's blasphemy of the Holy Spirit

If a person "does down" tongues, there's no forgiveness for him - in this life or the next?

2008/9/30 15:47Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

I am not familiar with the term "doing down tongues." what is that? Or am I reading it incorrectly?

This article is very balanced and good. Zac is an authority in the whole body of Christ, I would say. His teaching is seasoned with grace and the Holy Spirits power.

thanks for this post...

2008/9/30 17:16Profile
helengreen

Re:

Please excuse the very late reply!

I am from the North west of England, UK so slang term to "do down" means to put down as thought to say they are not from God.

The months I've been away from here (and it has flown) I have leant to type without as much of my UK slang so people understand me.

Quote:
If a person "does down" tongues, there's no forgiveness for him - in this life or the next?

I maybe misinterpreted it a little and got over zealous for the Lord. I understand what was meant now.

I didn't mean the "unforgivable sin" I meant irreverence towards the gifts of the Spirit.

To the person above, I had never heard of that particular teacher before so was being cautious.

Apologies again and God bless you all, I hope you had a great Christmas and a Happy New year :-)

2009/1/15 15:01Profile
rbanks

Re:

Good article on speaking in tongues. I agree with most of it.

Just asking, has Poonen ever mention whether he has received the baptism of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues.

I also believe that the preachers he mentioned had a baptism of the Holy Spirit who didn't speak in tongues. I also know that there is a baptism of the fullness of the Holy Spirit where one will definitely speak in tongues.

I can not say that all will speak in tongues but I will say that if you are filled like the apostles where in the book of acts you will definitely speak in tongues by the spirit giving the utterance.

2009/1/15 22:26Profile
savannah

Re: Tongues etc.

Quote:

"...if you are filled like the apostles where in the book of acts you will definitely speak in tongues by the spirit giving the utterance."

"If...filled like the apostles...you will definitely..."

If I may offer the following message to any who may be interested, I think it'll be helpful to see the fallacy of such an understanding(above) from the perspective of the full counsel of God.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?sid=41508219400

2009/1/16 10:58Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:

rbanks wrote:
Good article on speaking in tongues. I agree with most of it.

Just asking, has Poonen ever mention whether he has received the baptism of the Holy Spirit with evidence of speaking in tongues.

He stated in the article:

[i]As one who has spoken in tongues for the past 26 years, let me add a few words concerning what I presently understand about the gift, from my own experience.[/i]

It's about 1/2 way down the article, under The True And The Counterfeit.

2009/1/16 13:24Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Savannah RE: The Truth About Speaking In Tongues

Quote:
Quote:

"...if you are filled like the apostles where in the book of acts you will definitely speak in tongues by the spirit giving the utterance."

"If...filled like the apostles...you will definitely..."

If I may offer the following message to any who may be interested, I think it'll be helpful to see the fallacy of such an understanding (above) from the perspective of the full counsel of God.

I really messed this one up. I was trying to reply and totally erased my response to Savannah.

From memory. Savannah, where did you get those quotes? I do not think they came from the Zac Poonen article. I've looked everywhere.

Thanks

2009/1/16 13:31Profile
rbanks

Re:

Quote:

Lysa wrote:

Where did you get those quotes above? I do not believe they came from Zac Poonen's article. I tried to look at everyone's reply but I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

I didn't get them from Poonen's article.

Here is what the scriptures reveal.

Ac 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

2009/1/16 14:16Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

rbanks,

This is too funny. I put her name in the subject line, I should have addressed the post to Savannah. But I was asking Savannah where she got those quotes!

Sorry about that!

Re: Savannah RE: The Truth About Speaking In Tongues

2009/1/16 14:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy