SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Nicknames?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
GodsPeace

Re: Nicknames?

God's Peace is, like others' here, a translation of my name. It comes from the ancient German, "Gott Fried" which became Godfried, then Godfrey, then Geoffrey, and the American form Jeffrey. May God allow me to always exemplify the name he gave me.

I used to be called, variously, Jeff, JB, and Buzz, derived from my last name. The last couple of years I have been telling people to call me Jeffrey. Now THAT means something, and it is the name God gave me. The other nicknames are meaningless.

Is. 43.1 b “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

2007/3/2 16:51Profile

Re: Doris the slug!

Quote:

Goldminer wrote:
Somehow LittleGift ... I will have an impossible time thinking of you as a slug, sea or any other kind.

All God's creatures are beautiful in their own way - even slugs!

As a small child I used to play with worms and spiders in the garden - much preferred animals to dolls. In recent years I was sometimes called "bug hunter".

In school, a less complimentary nickname was "Olive" because I used to be very skinny and played hockey with my hair in a pony tail and arms and legs flying.

Get it? Think Popeye cartoons! :-D

Jeannette

2007/3/2 18:05

Re:

Quote:

CJF wrote:
ummm ...

One meaning of my name that I've come across is "womanly love"...

It didn't seem appropriate!! :-)

That sounds lovely, why not appropriate?

Jeannette

2007/3/2 18:07

Re:

Quote:

Roniya wrote:
This should be an interesting thread. :-)

I chose 'Roniya' because it is the Hebrew meaning of my name. Translated it is 'Joy of the Lord'.

~Joy

That's lovely, Joy

2007/3/2 18:07
CJF

Omaha, NE

Re:

"Womanly Love" always embarrassed me. I found that translation when I was barely a teenager, and decided I definitely needed to grow into that one. Well the embarrassment stuck. I've heard another translation for my name is "Song of Joy". Now THAT one I like! wish I had thought of it when I was coming up with a moniker for this site!
Carol :-)

2007/3/2 19:10Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

well this is a most interesting topic. i'm sure Krispy's response was pretty shocking...i remember i asked him what that was about coz i too thought there was some lofty insight i couldn't figure out...well that was not to be :-P i though perhaps we could call him Krispus Maximus but that didn't' stick...

anyhow, IRONMAN is an old college nickname i got coz i spent a lot of time in the gym. anyhow there is also IRON MAN the marvel comic character. anyhow in choosing a handle here, God led me back to that old nickname and in time i began to see why. Iron doesn't bend, it breaks, and to break it one must use a tremendous amount of force. anyway God has since been forging me into a tool for His use, hence the signiature.

God bless

2007/3/2 20:50Profile
seanjol

Charleston, SC

Mine is not too hard, at least I used it because it is something I can remember. Sean is my name and the wife of my youth is Joli, whom I call Jol all of the time.

Loved the Krispy answer as well as I have often wondered where it came from. I always thought about Wil E Coyote after a run in with roadrunner when I first started visiting SI.

Krispy, my family and I like to go camping a few times a year up in the asheville-franklin -boone area. Maybe you could burn some Kritters on one of these trips and rightly divide the word with us. :-)

Blessings,

Sean aka seanjol

2007/3/2 21:39Profile

Re: BrianMira

I like this thread, too. Personally, I dislike nicknames. Let me clarify that I mean that when I was in middle school, high school, and university, I saw many people who received nicknames that pulled them even further into that classification or category, even if they were just variations of their own name...(ie...dumbkid(that was one of the worst), fatty1, fatty2, fridge, trippy, smasher, montyburns, klepto and many many more...even with just the variation of their own names, people continue to place connotations on them which I see many people cannot be freed from (I know only Jesus can set us free, but some people can be held down by peers and a nickname).

I understand nicknames here on SI are more 'holy' than those of my younger years, but I know that we are sometimes limited by the labels that people place on us. As for me, I never had a nickname. When I was younger, I wanted one, but as I grew older I grew to love the name I was given. I learned its meaning and have come to be protective of it.

When I was younger, I went through hell in a town was called Mira, so last year, when I met my now fiancee, I was surprised to hear that her name was the same as that place. God is funny. From my days of hell on earth, it is as though I have found a little bit of heaven with her.

Therefore, my name did not take much thought, but the meaning to me is significant. When I signed up to sermonindex, my fiancee was beside me. I wanted just to be 'Brian', but that was taken and then my fiancee suggested 'Brian and Mira': hence BrianMira.

Do not get me wrong. Nicknames are good for many people, but just not me. I want people to know me and know anything and everything that they can about me. I do not want to be 80 and be known as A-hole or bones. I am quite content with it and am unwilling to change it for anyone, but God himself.

I like most of yours though... so far... :-( :-)

God Bless those that are able to live up to their name...
BrianMira

P.S. as for Krispy...like Paul mentioned, I ,too, could have had a name similar to that because of the things I put my brain through... :-? maybe KrispyKoker or KrispyKracker or KrispyKola... thank God that I only like Crispy Fries now...

2007/3/2 21:39
seanjol

Charleston, SC

Mine is not too hard, at least I used it because it is something I can remember. Sean is my name and the wife of my youth is Joli, whom I call Jol all of the time.

Loved the Krispy answer as well as I have often wondered where it came from. I always thought about Wil E Coyote after a run in with roadrunner when I first started visiting SI.

Krispy, my family and I like to go camping a few times a year up in the asheville-franklin -boone area. Maybe you could burn some Kritters on one of these trips and rightly divide the word with us. :-)

Blessings,

Sean aka seanjol

2007/3/2 21:41Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Interesting thread....

My nickname comes from the one we used to call our - now deceased - daughter, Regina Rose. We gave her several nicknames: BessieJane, Ginny, Ginnyrose, and in the last few years of her life it was down to Gina. Anyhow, when I went on line to another forum, I used this nickname and decided to use it here on SI as well. It is one I can remember! :-o

Sandra aka ginnyrose

2007/3/2 22:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy