SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Nicknames?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Nicknames?

Hi everybody

I was just wondering about the stories behind some of your nicknames. John173 said his was a reference to John 17:3.

Mine is the meaning of my name; "Jeannette" = "little gift of God". On another forum I chose the nickname "Little Doris" (Doris is from the Greek for "gift"), but people started addressing me as "Doris" which sounds very old fashioned!

When working in a nursing home several years ago there were [i]four[/i] old ladies called Doris! Two of the Doris's shared a room, and after they were separated Doris R kept asking "Where's Doris?" Which gave the impression she was confused if one didn't know she was looking for her former room mate, Doris M!

Jeannette (LG)

2007/3/2 12:06

Re: Nicknames?

This should be an interesting thread. :-)

I chose 'Roniya' because it is the Hebrew meaning of my name. Translated it is 'Joy of the Lord'.

~Joy

2007/3/2 12:13

jimdied2sin-

When I was a lukewarm / false convert I used the grace of God as a license to sin. God will just forgive me for it when I repent later...

My nickname is to honor the power of Christ to cleanse us from sin and not just to forgive us (cheap grace).

blessings in Him - Jim

2007/3/2 12:13
CJF

Omaha, NE

Interesting that you should ask that. When I created my own log-on this morning, my first thought was to use "Jn173s wife". Doug didn't care for that much and suggested I try something else. I thought for awhile and realized I'm just not clever enough to come up with a nickname that suits and ended up using my initials. I tried CJ first, but it was already being used. I'm already regretting that I set it up in "all caps", as it makes logging on more time consuming. Ah well, it's only three silly letters! :-)

Carol

2007/3/2 12:14Profile
CJF

Omaha, NE

Re:

ummm ...

One meaning of my name that I've come across is "womanly love"...

It didn't seem appropriate!! :-)

2007/3/2 12:17Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

My name goldminer came from two sources, one I have had a love of reading christian literature all my 30+ years of being saved. I am constantly looking for the vein of gold deep in the heart of each writer, always looking for nuggets. Also I spent most of my life in Alaska and have panned for gold a number of times in the natural.

2007/3/2 12:43Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

when entering a conversation and i go "hmmhmm" to get attention... :-)

but you can call me brother, or Christian

God bless you

2007/3/2 12:48Profile
mom23beagles

Appleton, Wisconsin, USA

Mine is in reference to the beagles that God has blessed me with and have had the great privelege of adopting and working with through my volunteer rescue work. I believe all God's creatures are important to Him, as evidenced by Luke 12:6,7:

"Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God? But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows."

2007/3/2 12:52Profile
jordanamo

Great topic, Jeanette :-)

I got my nickname a few years ago from my brother's girlfriend (at the time). I remember on AIM, or something like that, she out of no where called me "JORDANAMO!!!" She used that nickname a lot more thereafter, and thus, it stuck!

Jordan

2007/3/2 12:54Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Someone once called me Preacher Parsley and that wouldn't fit as a name so I shortened it.

- Josh Parsley

2007/3/2 13:04Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy