SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Worldly Amusements - Finney

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

I agree with you jordanamo.

Also, please hear my heart in this issue. I do not take exception to you Paul or to anyone else. I just see this as a slippery slope. The phrase 'Worldly amusements' is too vague and can easily slide into legalism.

I am not accusing anyone of being a legalist but I wanted to voice my concerns about the article. I do want to go on record as saying that we should glorify God in all we do.

2007/3/2 15:59Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

here are some verses that speak to me, they are good to meditate upon, the scripture is quite clear on to have little or nothing to do whit the world,
then we just have to discern what is of the world, thats where the argument begin i supose...

Gal 6:14 But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world.

Jas 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

1Jn 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

1Jn 4:4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

1Jn 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.

1Jn 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

2007/3/2 16:07Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Jay, the passage is saying that if you are truly abiding in Christ you will have no desire for worldly amusement. I find the quote to be very true.

I know the more I am in Christ the less I want of anything in the world. I'm serious, I do not desire to go anywhere, unless it is meeting with other believers or evangelism. I am a homebody. I don't like watching t.v., even if its a christian movie, I just have no deasire to sit infront of a t.v. for an hour or two. I have no desires for sports, games, movies, amusement parks, malls. I guess this is called being dead to the world.

Your right it is not sin to go to a fair, hunting...but, it can become sin when you desire it more than God. If we understand how weak our flesh is we would avoid much stuff that is not blatant sin, but it could easily numb our hearts toward God and make us lukewarm. Think about it. You don't become lukewarm from obvious sins

1 John 2:15-16

15 Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world.

In this verse, it is saying that if you love anything in the world, the love of the Father is not in you. OUCH! That means, if anything is above God, that you enjoy doing more than being with Him, then you got a problem, and that you really do not love God.

I like what John Wesley's mother once wrote to him. She said:

"Take this rule: whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, or takes off your relish of spiritual things; in short, whatever increases the strength and authority of your body over your mind, that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may be in itself."
-- Susanna Wesley (Letter, June 8, 1725)

2007/3/2 16:22Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Your right it is not sin to go to a fair, hunting...but, it can become sin when you desire it more than God. If we understand how weak our flesh is we would avoid much stuff that is not blatant sin, but it could easily numb our hearts toward God and make us lukewarm. Think about it. You don't become lukewarm from obvious sins

(Emphasis mine)

This is the key. The bible is clear that nothing should come between you and God, but this does not mean that we cannot partake in amusement because amusement in itself is not sinful.

myfirstlove, I applaud you for your devotion to God but I think you would agree with me that it is wrong to say that every person must do what you do and must not do what you do not do. (I am not accusing you of saying this, but I want to emphasize that point.)

2007/3/2 16:39Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

myfirstlove

Quote:
If we understand how weak our flesh is we would avoid much stuff that is not blatant sin, but it could easily numb our hearts toward God and make us lukewarm. Think about it. You don't become lukewarm from obvious sins

This should by placed in the "great quotes" thread

TJ

2007/3/2 16:42Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

Jay, I would never tell anyone to do what I do and give up what I have given up, because the things that was sin to me might not be sin for someone else.

I do believe the more you are in Christ, you will have no desire for the things of the world. Like Finney said, the things of the world will become repulsive to you. That you will become dead to the world and alive to Christ.

We must remember that the devil is god of this world. So he will use the things of this world to temp us and try to bring us back into bondage. We must be watchful and in prayer so that we will not be ignoranr of the devil's devices. most of his devices on christians are not blantant sins. He knows that christians will not fall easily to committing adultry or being a drunkard. He starts out with little things thats not harmful at first, but can easily lead us to lukewarmness and defiling our heart and mind, if we are not watchful.

1 John 5:19
19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

2007/3/2 17:31Profile

Re:

Quote:

myfirstLove wrote:
Jay, I would never tell anyone to do what I do and give up what I have given up, because the things that was sin to me might not be sin for someone else.

I do believe the more you are in Christ, you will have no desire for the things of the world. Like Finney said, the things of the world will become repulsive to you. That you will become dead to the world and alive to Christ.

We must remember that the devil is god of this world. So he will use the things of this world to temp us and try to bring us back into bondage. We must be watchful and in prayer so that we will not be ignoranr of the devil's devices. most of his devices on christians are not blantant sins. He knows that christians will not fall easily to committing adultry or being a drunkard. He starts out with little things thats not harmful at first, but can easily lead us to lukewarmness and defiling our heart and mind, if we are not watchful.

1 John 5:19
19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one.

Thank you for sharing this and the other post, Lisa! This is pretty much what I was thinking on this issue...you saved me the trouble of putting it into words. :-)

2007/3/2 17:34
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

To me I find it funny that Christians in our day are more against holiness then they are of sin! The reason? because we cuddle and pamper our flessh and sins. I heard one speaker say we have "so many uncrucified Christians" in our day.

When you love secret prayer, the word of God, fellowship with saints more then TV, Movies, sports, etc then truly you will spend [b]much more[/b] time in the former of these. And the latter will become more and more empty and vain in their purposes.

Let's be honest how many enjoy reading the word of God and secret prayer more then anything else. And that is not just a "selfish" feeling but a practical reality in our day to day activities by spending much "time" in these divine activities we boast to love beyond all else.

Happiness without Holiness is Helplessness. Amusements that just amuse us without our lifes being holy and those amusements being sanctified will result in a helpless condition of our flesh ruling over our spirits. Truly to abide by the commands of God are freedom and liberity. The commands of God are not burdensome 1st John says.

2007/3/2 17:56Profile

Re:

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
To me I find it funny that Christians in our day are more against holiness then they are of sin! The reason? because we cuddle and pamper our flessh and sins. I heard one speaker say we have "so many uncrucified Christians" in our day.

When you love secret prayer, the word of God, fellowship with saints more then TV, Movies, sports, etc then truly you will spend [b]much more[/b] time in the former of these. And the latter will become more and more empty and vain in their purposes.

Let's be honest how many enjoy reading the word of God and secret prayer more then anything else. And that is not just a "selfish" feeling but a practical reality in our day to day activities by spending much "time" in these divine activities we boast to love beyond all else.

Happiness without Holiness is Helplessness. Amusements that just amuse us without our lifes being holy and those amusements being sanctified will result in a helpless condition of our flesh ruling over our spirits. Truly to abide by the commands of God are freedom and liberity. The commands of God are not burdensome 1st John says.

Amen! Thank you for these words, Greg.
Here is a quote by Alan Redpath that is part of Greg's most recent article [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15172&forum=16&1]Revival Experiences: Crying Out[/url]
”Isn’t it criminal the way we live in the sight of the cross” said the famous preacher Alan Redpath.

2007/3/2 18:51
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Happiness without Holiness is Helplessness.

Amusements that just amuse us without our lifes being holy and those amusements being sanctified will result in a helpless condition of our flesh ruling over our spirits.

Amen Brother

TJ

2007/3/2 18:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy