SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Worldly Amusements - Finney

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Worldly Amusements - Finney

AMUSEMENTS

By Charles G. Finney (1792-1875)

...The question [concerning amusements] in all such cases is not, "What harm is there in this proposed amusement?" but, "What good can it do?" "Is it the best way in which I can spend my time?"...The question often arises: "Are we never to seek such amusements?" I answer: It is our privilege and our duty to live above a desire for such things.

All that class of desires should be so subdued by living so much in the light of God, and having so deep a communion with Him as to have no relish for such amusements whatever. It certainly is the privilege of every child of God to walk so closely with Him, and maintain so divine a communion with Him, as not to feel the necessity of worldly excitements, sports, pastimes, and entertainments to make his enjoyment satisfactory.

If a Christian avails himself of his privilege of communion with God, he will naturally and by an instinct of his new nature repel solicitations to go after worldly amusements. To him such pastimes will appear low, unsatisfactory, and even repulsive. If he is of a heavenly mind, as he ought to be, he will feel as if he could not afford to come down and seek enjoyment in worldly amusements.

Surely, a Christian must be fallen from his first love, he must have turned back into the world, before he can feel the necessity or have the desire of seeking enjoyment in worldly sports and pastimes...Probably but few persons enjoy worldly pleasure more intensely than I did before I was converted; but my conversion, and the spiritual baptism which immediately followed it, completely extinguished all desire for worldly sports and amusements.

I was lifted at once into entirely another plane of life and another kind of enjoyment. From that hour to the present the mode of life, the pastimes, sports, amusements, and worldly ways that so much delighted me before have not only failed to interest me, but I have had a positive aversion to them. I have never felt them necessary to or even compatible with, a truly rational enjoyment. I do not speak boastingly; but for the honour of Christ and His religion...

Some have maintained that we should conform to the ways of the world somewhat---at least, enough to show that we can enjoy the world and religion too; and that we make religion appear repulsive to unconverted souls by turning our backs upon what they call their innocent amusements.

But we should represent religion as it really is---as living above the world, as consisting in a heavenly mind, as that which affords an enjoyment so spiritual and heavenly as to render the low pursuits and joys of worldly men disagreeable and repulsive.

...Who does not know that it is the worldly members in the Church who are always ready for any movement in the direction of worldly pleasure or amusement, and that the truly spiritual, prayerful, heavenly-minded members are shy of all such movements? They are not led into them without urging, and weep in secret places when they see their pastor giving encouragement to that which is likely to be so great a stumbling-block to both the Church and to the world.

2007/3/2 10:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Worldly Amusements - Finney

This is a excellent article by Finney, thank you for posting dear brother this small excerpt from it. Here is a link to the full article:

[b]WORLDLY AMUSEMENTS[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=18667

2007/3/2 12:32Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Worldly Amusements - Finney

Great post brother Paul

If you have any more articles/essays along this line please post them too.

TJ

2007/3/2 14:32Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Oh, I have plenty, TJ! I'm just weary of starting another war. I have great articles from Wesley and Whitefield, and many sermon excerpts from Keith Daniel, Wilkerson and Ravenhill that deal exactly with this topic.

2007/3/2 14:40Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

What does he mean by 'worldly'?

Also, can someone provide a list of activities that can be enjoyed and a list of activities that cannot (or should I say "should not") be enjoyed?

Thanks.

2007/3/2 14:44Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Also, can someone provide a list of activities that can be enjoyed and a list of activities that cannot (or should I say "should not") be enjoyed?

Do you really expect someone to provide you with a list here - and you would take it seriously?

(edited by commentor)

2007/3/2 14:50Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

I seriously want to know.

For example, I like to play board games, I like to watch sports, I like a number of things.

I understand that it is wrong to watch a movie that contains nudity and foul language, but is it 'worldly entertainment' to watch a movie with no nudity or foul language but does not necessarily have a Christian message?

Is it 'worldly entertainment' to watch a football game on television or in person?

Please do not presume that I am here to fight, I am merely asking a question.

2007/3/2 14:58Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Okay, Jay. Fair enough! We'll see where this goes, and where your question leads.

Quote:
, but is it 'worldly entertainment' to watch a movie with no nudity or foul language but does not necessarily have a Christian message?

May I ask you this: Does this nudity-less and profanity-less movie edify your spirit in Christ? Does it build you up in holiness, or, for the segment of time you watch it, are your thoughts focused on Christ, his holiness, his purity, and the fearsome Judgment Seat?

If "no", then why waste your time? We should ever thrist to become so totally consumed that we reach a point where [i]all things[/i] are vain and expendable that are not helping us grow deeper in God.

Brother Paul

2007/3/2 15:07Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
May I ask you this: Does this nudity-less and profanity-less movie edify your spirit in Christ? Does it build you up in holiness, or, for the hour of time you are watching it, your thoughts are far from Christ, holiness, purity, the Judgment Seat?

I am not saying that this nudity-less and profanity-less movie is going to have the same effect as the Holy Bible and prayer, but I am saying that it is not sinful to enjoy said movie. Are saying it is sinful?

2007/3/2 15:20Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
but I am saying that it is not sinful to enjoy said movie

Who said anything about [i]sin?[/i] To him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

(edited by commentor)

2007/3/2 15:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy