SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What do you think of this song?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
AshleyJnr

Guolburn, NSW Australia

What do you think of this song?

G'day everyone
Grace and peace to you all.

Music seems to be one of the most discussed issues on this site, but I am still not exactly sure where I stand??

I've been writing songs for about 5 years now. I used to be into "christian rock" music, but then was covinced that it wasn't helpful , and I'm not sure whether I over reacted to it, but I only listened to th melowest worship songs and some clasical (mainly Bach). But over the last year and a bit, I've been challenged to "forget about the gnat until I've strained the camel".

I've just entered one of my songs in a secular competion, but I'd like to hear what you guys think of it??

I was thinking, when music is discussed here, it's ussually discussed as a whole entity ie. rock music, or hym music etc. But I don't mind if you guys want to use this particular song as a disscussion point.

Don't worry I won't be offended people don't like it. After all I am realising more and more that I have been shaped by the world far more than I know.

At the end of the day, I just want to glorify God as much as I can, if that means only writing hymns, I don't care, I'll write hymns.

To listen to the song go here http://www.sonomawireworks.com/riffrumbleVI/post.php?id=135

Greg, crsschk and Forevidence, please let me know if this may be innapropriate or too contentious or anything. I'm more than happy to delete it if it is.

2007/3/1 17:49Profile
AshleyJnr

Guolburn, NSW Australia

Re: What do you think of this song?

Sorry I was reading the disclaimer to see if this post is appropriate, when I hit the "post new thread" button. So it accidently got put in Welcome and intro section sorry. Is there anyway I can change it?

Also the song lyrics are as follows:

Through you did the Son/sun rise
And break through my night sky
The light of the world saved my soul
Now I can't contain it since Jesus yu've saved me
And now I call heaven my home

Before I met you all I could do
Was live for my selfish desires
But now I've found you all I want to do
Is offer my life

I'm falling deeper
In this mystery
The more that I die to myself
The more I seem to live
And I know, yes I know, that I know that you've saved me

2007/3/1 17:59Profile
jordanamo

It's a very good song... like the "beat" :-)

Jordan

2007/3/1 18:36Profile

Quote:

AshleyJnr wrote:

Music seems to be one of the most discussed issues on this site, but I am still not exactly sure where I stand??

I've been writing songs for about 5 years now. I used to be into "christian rock" music, but then was covinced that it wasn't helpful , and I'm not sure whether I over reacted to it, but I only listened to th melowest worship songs and some clasical (mainly Bach). But over the last year and a bit, I've been challenged to "forget about the gnat until I've strained the camel".

I've just entered one of my songs in a secular competion, but I'd like to hear what you guys think of it??

I was thinking, when music is discussed here, it's usually discussed as a whole entity ie. rock music, or hym music etc. But I don't mind if you guys want to use this particular song as a disscussion point.

Don't worry I won't be offended people don't like it. After all I am realising more and more that I have been shaped by the world far more than I know.

At the end of the day, I just want to glorify God as much as I can, if that means only writing hymns, I don't care, I'll write hymns.

To listen to the song go here http://www.sonomawireworks.com/riffrumbleVI/post.php?id=135

Greg, crsschk and Forevidence, please let me know if this may be innapropriate or too contentious or anything. I'm more than happy to delete it if it is.

Ashley, that is really good! What a sweet spirit, as well as good words. Are you the one singing it?

You don't need to doubt your gift if you write things like this. If I have any criticism its that maybe there should be a little more of the Gospel in it - the reason why heaven is your home. But you said it was for the secular market, didn't you?

Its so good that you have the humility to be willing to be corrected.

You said, "I was thinking, when music is discussed here, it's usually discussed as a whole entity ie. rock music, or hym music etc."

Yes, we shouldn't perhaps generalise so much.

I have found since becoming a Christian I seem to [i]"know instinctively"[/i] if music, or a particular song, is clean or unclean in spirit. -Probably its because of not being specially "into" rock music even as a teenager - so the bad stuff never got a hold to spoil the ability to discern.

At one time I was looking on a Christian tape for a song that seemed not to be in the Holy Spirit, to erase it. When searching, the last note of the previous song was played. It was a long, loud note, and for an instant I wondered if that was the one, but as quickly realised that one was OK (don't know how it was possible to tell from just one note, but it was!)

As some of us keep ON saying, its the [i]spirit[/i] of the music that the important thing.

In Him

Jeannette

2007/3/1 19:09

Quote:

AshleyJnr wrote:

I was thinking, when music is discussed here, it's ussually discussed as a whole entity ie. rock music, or hym music etc. But I don't mind if you guys want to use this particular song as a disscussion point.

1. I do not agree that music is one of the most discussed topics on this site.

2. Is a secular 'competition' the best place for you?

3. You mentioned the competition, not knowing your stance, using your song as a 'discussion point', and that you 'have been shaped by the world far more than I (you) know. Do you really 'want to glorify God as much as you can'?

4. Are you sure you will not be offended?

Ashley,

Do not get me wrong. I only ask these questions, based on your post. I ask them so that you can search more and be able to glorify God to the best of your ability in Christ Jesus.

Also, do you know why I ask these questions? I like the song, a lot...
:-)

I feel that God has blessed you with a great number of talents. Just keep your eyes up to the Lord and you will be all that He made you to be.

Great song...are you on guitar??

God Bless Music,
BrianMira

2007/3/1 22:26

Re:

I really like this song... do you have more songs available?

Krispy

2007/3/2 7:41
AshleyJnr

Guolburn, NSW Australia

Re:

Hey BrianMira

Thanks for your reply brother.

Quote:
1. I do not agree that music is one of the most discussed topics on this site.

Perhaps you're right that music isn't one of the most discussed topics. Perhaps my choice of words wasn't the most accurate??
What I was alluding to by "discussed" was more that the fact that everytime someone posts something about the validity of certian styles of music the discussion generly rarely seems to go less than severla pages.
But hopefully you understand the point I was trying to make is that there are so many different points of veiw on this site when it comes to music.
Quote:
2. Is a secular 'competition' the best place for you?

I suppose I should clarify the reason the song is in a secular competition.
The software that I was using to record the song is holding a competion for people who use that software. And I figured I may as well put a song in to "shine some light". (I didn't purposly write the song for a "secular market" or anything.
Also the software company houses all the internet side of things, ie give the song a permanant link etc. so you guys can listen. :-)
- this is the first song that I've recorded in a long time and made available on the net, and I don't have internet site or anything like that (I'm a bit internet illitereate). So yeah so submitting to the contest helps make it available.
So in basic answer to your question, I'm not sure that a "secular" competion is the best place. Probably not. What do you think?
Quote:
3. You mentioned the competition, not knowing your stance, using your song as a 'discussion point', and that you 'have been shaped by the world far more than I (you) know. Do you really 'want to glorify God as much as you can'?

Let me clarify. When I say shaped by the world. I don't just mean music. And when I say world, I suppose I am including what some would regard as "culture" as well (whether it be good or bad).
So when I say I would like to glorify God as much as I can. What I am refering to is, if unknowingly I have false conceptions regarding music, I think God wants to rectify those so that I write and play music for the right reasons etc. Those who worship the Lord, worship in Spirit and [b]truth[/b]. Does that make sense?
Using our sisters guidlines "It's the spririt behind the music"
I want to see what Spirit you guys think is behind my music. If everyone comments and says "I feel like it's the spirit of the world behind this song" then there's a good chance that that I have some misconceptions in my heart and need to do some re-evaluating.
Does this clarify my comments?
Quote:
4. Are you sure you will not be offended?

What is the worst that could happen. You can't hurt a corpse. So even if I am offended, it will highlight the area that I'm not completely dead (dead to self that is). :-o

Bless you brother :-)

2007/3/2 17:31Profile
AshleyJnr

Guolburn, NSW Australia

Re:

Hey Krispy

This is the first song I've recorded in this genre, though I've written a few more.
I recorded a few other songs about 2 years ago. But the not publicly available, but that is only because of the practicalitly of having a web page.
But I am more than happy to send them to you via email if you want.
And I don't really care what you do with them. (ie give them away or post them on a website)

Bless you brother
AJ

2007/3/2 17:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy