Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Defining sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: the danger of defining sin

Quote:
This attempted definition may not be all encompassing.

Doug, Trying to analyze and define something (like sin) can be quite tedious. You get out your diagnostic tools, the dissecting scalpel, the forceps, the microscope. … and go at it. Wouldn’t it be nice if the Bible laid out one clear definition of sin - just like a medical diagnostic manual defines various diseases – complete with aetiology, divisions and subdivisions, signs and symptoms? Of course, when it comes to diseases, all that information is useless in itself. It doesn’t change a thing - other than to help us know what remedy to apply. Really we just need the cure!

In Jeremiah, sin is described as a disease- an “incurable wound.” And really, we could stop there, in that this is enough information to help us know what remedy to apply. Also, I think it is more difficult to admit our sin CONDITION than anything else - even specific wrongs we commit. It defines our utter inability to redeem ourselves. We need God's only remedy: Christ!

Ron Bailey says: “Words don’t have definitions; they have histories.” Indeed, we learn the meaning of a word through its history. (real life application) “Sin” is a good example.
The Bible helps us to understand sin, not merely by defining it, but by teaching through real life people- stories. These examples help break us out of our lofty and useless theological explanations (that meticulously stay clear of our own hearts.)

Quote:
At least not in the sense that all sin directly cause harm. Though I do believe that most sin has some kind of inderect negative impact on either someone or a some group. An individual's prejudice for example may never directly impact an individual, yet the existance of prejudice does indeed cause harm to a group.

Good point! Though, I would be more radical: I say, ALL sin is harmful - eventually– even if merely by withholding love and goodness when it is in our power to give it. It damages us and others by keeping God at arms length.

Let me share with you my one biggest dread when it comes to attempting to define sin: We typically define it in terms of negative behaviors, and rarely in terms of simply the LACK of good - and can have difficulty seeing that in ourselves.

Quote:
The deeper spiritual cause of the outward act could very well be described or defined as unbelief.

I agree, and this is clearly Biblical. Yet, we can get into quite the quagmire even on this definition – judging every benevolent act as depraved and evil because it may not be a faith response. So, in attempting to fine-tooth our definition of sin, we can actually be committing sin: judging.

I say, if we focus on the cure, we wouldn’t need to spend so much time trying to categorize all the various expressions of sin. In other words, by taking the New Life that Christ offers, sin will weaken and dissipate along with the “ old Man” – even if over the course of time – as God works to bring conviction as HE chooses, and to transform the heart.

Let me give a practical example: We can go on and on and on about the sins of rock music, the selfishness, the danger of addiction, the blah blah blah associated with it. But I doubt that doing so changes its fans. I say: present the Good News for all its worth - not merely with typical formulas and words, but through relationship, redirecting thoughts, etc - in other words: doing the GOOD that is needed, as we are able. In fact, our focus on pointing at a sin symptom may be a sin in itself, simply because we are failing to do the GOOD we should be doing.

I say, the GOOD NEWS is where to go – through and through!!!

Diane

2007/3/2 11:57Profile
Logic

Re:

The word "sin" describes an abstract concept.

[b]Romans 14:23b[/b] ...[color=990000]and whatever is not of faith is sin.[/color]
[b]James 4:17[/b] [color=990000]Therefore, to anyone knowing to do good, and not doing it, it is sin to him.[/color]
[b]1John 5:17a[/b] [color=990000]All unrighteousness is sin,[/color]

2007/3/2 18:33Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

There is only One that no sin was found in Him.
The only reason was He loved the Father and obedience was The Only Way Love is defined. Jesus Christ was the only man that had the Love of the Father as His nature. Adam did not, he was created, Satan did not he was created. Jesus Christ did, He was birthed by the Father's Seed, miraculously conceived by the Holy Spirit in Mary. No created being can have the Nature of the Creator. A Chevy cannot have the nature of the creator of Chevys'. Who is GM? Even the CEO cannot make a Chevy Have a baby Chevy. God can, He did it in Mary. Christ is the only One, by birth, that could love God as God needed and intended as a birthed man to love Him.

Sin is simply not loving God the way He needs and wants to be loved. No created man can do it. That is why we need to be born Again. Birthed by God with the same Seed of Jesus Christ. The Born Again are birthed by God the Father and the old created man is past and the New Man being now Born Again with the Nature of God in us, "Old things are passed away behold all thing have become new." Why is the first commandment not don't sin? That is not what God wants. "Love the Lord Thy God with all that you are", that is what God wants. He God it by His only begotten Son, then by placing Him in those that believe that "Jesus Christ Is the Son of the Living God." Without believing this, it is worthless to put Jesus Christ in a person.
By believing this, it is possible for our Father to put us in His Birthed Family and we now can love the Father by the Nature of Jesus Christ in us, this is, "The Hope of Glory".

We can have all there is that all the angles have and have all the gifts of the Spirit and move mountains and all else, it all is nothing. There is only one way and that is by Love, "I show you another way". 1 Corinthians 12:31 and desire earnestly the better gifts; and yet a far excelling way do I shew to you:

Who is "The Love" or "Charity"? It is Christ and only He in us can give us the nature to love God as He does, did and always will.

This Love is Christ, This Christ in us is Love.

Let us substitute Christ for "The Love" or "Charity" and we see what takes away sin and how we sin no more because of His Seed that is in us.

1 Corinthians 13:4-13 The love is long-suffering, it is kind, The love doth not envy,

The love doth not vaunt itself, is not puffed up, doth not act unseemly, doth not seek its own things, is not provoked, doth not impute evil, rejoiceth not over the unrighteousness, and rejoiceth with the truth; all things It beareth, all It believeth, all It hopeth, all It endureth. The love doth never fail; and whether there be prophecies, they shall become useless; whether tongues, they shall cease; whether knowledge, it shall become useless; for in part we know, and in part we prophecy; and when that which is perfect may come, then that which is in part shall become useless. When I was a babe, as a babe I was speaking, as a babe I was thinking, as a babe I was reasoning, and when I have become a man, I have made useless the things of the babe; for we see now through a mirror obscurely, and then face to face; now I know in part, and then I shall fully know, as also I was known; and now there doth remain faith, hope, Love--these three; and the greatest of these is Love.

Now we are face to face with Christ and now we can fully know this Love of Christ that is in us. So what remains? Now, Now, remains faith, which is of God in Christ Jesus, Hope which is in Christ Jesus, and Love which is Christ Jesus in us. Even above Faith, and Hope, the Love of Christ in us is the Greatest of all, for by this Love we can learn to Love His Father as He Loves, "our Father."

1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for His Seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

In other words: Born Again by the Christ in us we Love God the way He wants and needs us to Love Him, and His Seed remains in us, and by this Love we cannot commit sin, because we are born of God.

The lie of Satan is; it is us that are still sinful and cannot be without sin. Lie, Lie, Lie.

Obedience is Love, sin is disobedience. The Christ in us is Love, it is His Obedience God sees in us and that is how God the Father can accept us as son's also, because of His Seed that is in us.

In Christ and learning to love the Father by the Mind of Christ that is in me, "it is no longer I who live, but Christ who liveth in me". Amen, continually and praise God and thank You Father always for the Love You have birthed in me. Phillip

2007/3/2 19:41Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy