SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Amazing Grace - William Wilberforce / John Newton movie. (released 02/23/07)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Let us pause for a moment here, and ask oursleves this question.

In our day to day lives do we hear profanity? Unless you live under a rock then the answer is probably yes.

How do you respond? Do we hold our robes of "righteousness" tight to ourself and pass by the "heathen", or do we lovingly and truthfully correct them? That is being salt and light.

Do you know what happened as a result of seeing this film? My friend's daughter who is half black and half white realized perhaps more deeply the length to which God would go to save, and also how God raises up people to take on issues of injustice.(I cannot even believe I am writing this right now, as I would probbably been the first to jump down some peoples' throats for sseing it before) Don't think I back the "social gospel" either, this is just a point I am making.

But come on, this is not a black and white essential issue. Will a person be lost if they see this? I doubt it, but could a Sovereign God use this to draw someone to His Son? Maybe

I'm not defending it or saying it's the best thing in the world, but just saying exercise caution in bombarding folks with your convictions, and let Christ alone convict people as to how they should live so it will be a Spiritual surrender, and not a fleshly one that ends up in misery and defeat.

Ok, let loose the rocks :-P

2007/2/28 14:32Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Krispy...

I am not trying to be contentious, but are you referring to some of the conversations in the forums, televised sporting events (including commercials), or this film biography called [i]Amazing Grace[/i]?

I wouldn't encourage anyone to watch a movie (not even a christian one). However, I personally found this film educational. It was a biography set on film -- just like David Wilkerson's [i]The Cross and the Switchblade[/i]. Both of these works contained the same sad reference of a certain curse word. Yet both told the story of some remarkable men of God.

I want to stress that this is NOT a Christian film (if there is such a thing). It is a historical film depicting the 18th Century evangelical minister/politician who led the fight against slavery. In this sense, it was similar to reading an account in a textbook, encyclopedia or newspaper (or television documentary).

The only regret that I had in this film was the use of the aforementioned profanities and the elaborate dress worn by a woman (even though it was far more "modest" than outfits seen in college, public schools or even some churches). I must also emphasize that this film was not [u]entertaining[/u]. Rather, it was seemingly meant to [u]educate[/u] individuals about a couple of historical figures (William Wilberforce and John Newton) that most people have never heard of.

:-)

2007/2/28 14:34Profile

Re:

[b]Roaringlamb[/b]... you have conveniently missed my point. If you would be so kind as to read the entirety of my last post perhaps the point would not escape you.

If you need further assistance, let me know... I'l type slower so you can understand me better. :-)

Krispy

2007/2/28 14:41

Re:

Quote:
I am not trying to be contentious, but are you referring to some of the conversations in the forums, televised sporting events (including commercials), or this film biography called Amazing Grace?

Forgive me for taking this as being contentious. Perhaps you, as well, have ignored what I have written on this thread. Especially part about being in a process, as we all are. And yes, for me, at this point God is convicting me of sporting events on TV, etc. Not just Amazing Grace. But thanx for pointing out my struggle with hypocricy as justification for others to do as they please.

Do we only listen to preachers who have reached perfection? If so, remove all the Epistles that Paul wrote... he struggled with his flesh.

Listen... the long and the short of it is this... I will not be losing any sleep if my brethren on this forum see Amazing Grace. All I am doing is sharing God's Word with everyone so that we can all consider what [b]He[/b] thinks about it. No one has addressed the passages I have listed here. Just opinions on why it's ok to see movies with "mild profanity" in them.

I'm not God, and I answer for no one other than myself before God. But being that I care for everyone here, it is my duty to share God's Word concerning this issue of [b]paying[/b] (emphasis for [b]Roaringlamb[/b]) to hear profanity.

Krispy

2007/2/28 14:47
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Ok, I will read it all, but for now I have to go to the doctor, so I'll get back to it.

Remember Jesus said "nothing form without defileth a man.."

2007/2/28 14:48Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

Krispy, I understand now, sorry I did not see that last bit earlier. Please forgive me ffor jumping to conclusions.

I paid half is that ok? :-P

2007/2/28 14:50Profile

Re:

Quote:
Remember Jesus said "nothing form without defileth a man.."

Wow... wrenching scripture out of context big time.

Krispy

2007/2/28 14:50

Re:

Quote:
Krispy, I understand now, sorry I did not see that last bit earlier. Please forgive me ffor jumping to conclusions.

No harm done. :-) I could tell you didnt read the whole post.

Krispy

2007/2/28 15:12
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

If I spend much more time with Krispy I'm not even going to be able to breath without offending Jesus.

2007/2/28 15:12Profile

Re:

Quote:
If I spend much more time with Krispy I'm not even going to be able to breath without offending Jesus.

Well, then be thankful for His never ending mercy and grace.

The Lord is looking for a holy people. We all have so far to go, brother.

Instead of watching movies... read some Spurgeon. The quote on the end of my emails says:

[i]"There is enough dust on some of your Bible's to write "damnation" with your fingers."
- Charles H. Spurgeon[/i]

Spurgeon rocks.

Krispy

2007/2/28 15:22

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy