SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Amazing Grace - William Wilberforce / John Newton movie. (released 02/23/07)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Amazing Grace - William Wilberforce / John Newton movie. (released 02/23/07)

Just thought I'd mention that a wonderful movie was released this last Saturday that would be worth everyone seeing. Amazing Grace.

The movie is primarily about William Wilberforce, who after a dramatic conversion to Jesus Christ decided to leave his life in politics... only to be challenged to remain in politics by his spiritual mentor John Newton (who happened to write the hymn Amazing Grace years earlier after his conversion).

William Wilberforce went on to be the primary human mover behind the abolition of slavery in the British Empire. It was because of his devotion to the teachings of Jesus and his personal relationship with the savior.

William Wilberforce is also the namesake of Chuck Colson's prison ministry: Wilberforce.

The website for the movie:
http://www.amazinggracemovie.com/

A bio of William Wilberforce at the Wilberforce Prison Ministry website:
http://www.wilberforce.org/Bio.asp?ID=1016

Has anyone seen the movie yet?

2007/2/28 1:55Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Amazing Grace - William Wilberforce / John Newton movie. (released 02/23/07)

Quote:
Just thought I'd mention that a wonderful movie was released this last Saturday that would be worth everyone seeing.

Glad you posted this iansmith. Maybe I can spare you the heartache. I have not seen this movie, but have talked with several people who have.

It has fifteen profanities and very immodest dress in it. The trailer I viewed even had cursing in it. I should have to be married to a woman to get as much information as I do about the woman in the trailer I watched.

Wilberforce was a great man, and a Christian, but this movie is just another way Hollywood, or the devil, is trying to get Christians to compromise.

This movie is about good beating evil. Moral people do that all the time. It is not exclusive to Christianity. Kind of like Stallone saying Rocky is a Christian movie.

I want to see one that mentions repentance of sin, acceptance of Christ as Lord, and pursuit of Holiness.

I guess that’s why I don’t see many movies.

My 2 cents.

TJ

2007/2/28 7:52Profile

Re: Amazing Grace - William Wilberforce / John Newton movie. (released 02/23/07)

Does this movie clearly show that he was a follower of Jesus Christ? Or does it kinda gloss over it like so many Hollywood biographical movies do?

Krispy

2007/2/28 7:57
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Krispy

Quote:
Does this movie clearly show that he was a follower of Jesus Christ?

I'm not sure. I was so bent out of shape by the trailer I didn't ask any more questions.

One thing that really gets me is the fact they include the language and dress because they say it adds to the realism.

The Bible does a good job without that kind of language and pictures in it.

I wonder if Hollywood would accept The Bible if it had…I can’t even say it. Oh well.

TJ

2007/2/28 8:40Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

[b]Evangelicals rally around — and disagree on — 'Grace'[/b]
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2007-02-21-amazing-grace-movie_x.htm

Krispy,

It looks like you were right, USAtoday says that the name Jesus is never overtly mentioned... and that they purposefully toned down William Wilberforce's evangelistic fervor to appeal to a broader audience.

But this is an opportunity to show the world that a man with Faith in God can shake the foundations of society. Hopefully it will cause people to seek the source of William Wilberforce's strength and find out more about the Savior behind the man.

If I had a choice whether or not to have this movie with the toned down refernces to his spiritual life, or not to have the movie at all... I'd still take the movie, because it's a chance to open doors to people who wouldn't otherwise go to a church.

2007/2/28 10:24Profile

Re:

Here is a movie review on it: [url=http://www.radiotheatre.org/products/amazinggrace/]Pluggedinonline[/url]
I tend to agree with TJ on this one. The profanity knocks it out for me.

Here is another alternative to getting the story:
[url=http://www.radiotheatre.org/products/amazinggrace/]Radio Theatre presents Amazing Grace[/url]. I've heard bits and pieces on the radio from this dramatization and it sounds really good. Our library is supposed to be getting it in so I am looking forward to to listening to the story. :-)

2007/2/28 10:46
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

The way that Brits talk nowadays I'm amazed it didn't get an R rating.

It's a PG movie, all of the profanity in the movie was probably what was in the trailer.

2007/2/28 10:49Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

Roniya wrote:

Here is another alternative to getting the story:
[url=http://www.radiotheatre.org/products/amazinggrace/]Radio Theatre presents Amazing Grace[/url]. I've heard bits and pieces on the radio from this dramatization and it sounds really good. Our library is supposed to be getting it in so I am looking forward to to listening to the story. :-)

Yes, this is a great alternative. I happen to work at Focus On The Family, and took the opportunity to listen to it on my drive to CA last week. It is really good!

2007/2/28 11:14Profile

Re:

Quote:
The way that Brits talk nowadays I'm amazed it didn't get an R rating.

Whats an R rating and whats wrong with the way we talk? One is not ammused ;-)

2007/2/28 12:01
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

R means 'restricted,' those under 18 cannot (or aren't supposed to) see it without being accompanied by an adult.

I was just implying the the Brits in general use a lot more profanity -however this is just my impression based on the Englishmen I've known and the way they're portrayed in the media.

I guess I've been overgeneralizing for the sake of humor.

2007/2/28 12:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy