SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How do ye say, We are wise...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
toknowHim

How do ye say, We are wise...

Jeremiah 8:4-9
Moreover thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord; Shall they fall, and not arise? shall he turn away, and not return? [5] Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return. [6] I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle. [7] Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the Lord. [8] How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the Lord is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain. [9] The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the Lord; and what wisdom is in them?

Galatians 5:13-15
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. [14] For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [15] But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

You all seem to be doing a good job of it, biteing and devouring, that is.
You all seem well versed in it, why not try this,
Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

What a shame, no wonder the world wants nothing to do with this.

Instead of trying to prove to one another you all
know something, might be best to listen to the advice of one who does, and proved it with action.
John 13:34-35
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. [35] By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Troubled :-(

toknowHim

2007/2/27 18:51Profile

Re: How do ye say, We are wise...

Quote:

toknowHim wrote:
Jeremiah 8:4-9
Moreover thou shalt say unto them, Thus saith the Lord; Shall they fall, and not arise? shall he turn away, and not return? [5] Why then is this people of Jerusalem slidden back by a perpetual backsliding? they hold fast deceit, they refuse to return. [6] I hearkened and heard, but they spake not aright: no man repented him of his wickedness, saying, What have I done? every one turned to his course, as the horse rusheth into the battle. [7] Yea, the stork in the heaven knoweth her appointed times; and the turtle and the crane and the swallow observe the time of their coming; but my people know not the judgment of the Lord. [8] How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the Lord is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain. [9] The wise men are ashamed, they are dismayed and taken: lo, they have rejected the word of the Lord; and what wisdom is in them?

For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. [14] For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [15] But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

know something, might be best to listen to the advice of one who does, and proved it with action.
A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. [35] By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

toknowHim

Hi

It sounds as if you came across some of the more "lively" threads. That's sad, because there are really good discussions here, conducted with grace and love.

Maybe best look around a bit more before you judge the Forum too harshly?

In Christ

jeannette

2007/2/27 19:21
toknowHim

Re: best look around

Quote:
It sounds as if you came across some of the more "lively" threads. That's sad, because there are really good discussions here, conducted with grace and love.

Is that what you call them. :-o I have several
words in mind, but lively is not one of them.
Proverbs 6:2
Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth.

Quote:
Maybe best look around a bit more before you judge the Forum too harshly?

Judge: not at all sister. I have been visiting
the forum for several years and see no difference
in content, only a different group of posters.

Observation only, not speaking of everyone, but much vanity and pride and how many numbers can I
get beside my name, maybe I can get in the posters hall of fame. Maybe, I could be wrong, but seems I remember you posting something along
those lines awhile back, say a couple hundred post ago.
Before you all get mad at me, think, why are you really here. If its for the sermons great, but
if its to give your opinion and see how many numbers you can get by your name, not so great.
How about not numbering post? Might take the pride right out of it :-? How would that work?

my desire for all,

toknowHim

2007/2/27 20:14Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Quote:
How about not numbering post? Might take the pride right out of it How would that work?

I like this idea, I kinda had the same thought when I first was getting on.

Maybe it should just say when they got registered or something like that. And skip the numbers.

2007/3/1 13:19Profile
myfirstLove

Proverbs 21:2
2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes,
But the LORD weighs the hearts.

This post has reminded me of the importance of strengthen the inner man and allow His Spirit to search me and cleanse me that my heart will be filled with pure motives. For surely many times we do think we are very wise, when really we are fools. Oh Lord expose us as fools if we think we are wise, that we may be humbled and see we are filth without You!

We must be careful in judging, and this is also an encouragement for you too, toknowhim. For surely God will judge us in the same way we have judged others and will expose us to be a hypocrite, if we are found with the same sin we have judged others with.

I have seen many times, those who easily accuse, fall into the same sin as they easily accuse others of having. And why do they easily fall into the same sin that they have accuse others of having? The heart is not clean, but filled with pride. The judgment was not out of love, a broken heart and true concern, but bitterness of heart.

Let us keep watch and pray. Pray always for the saints. Terrible times are ahead. We must diligently pray for one another and encourage each other to turn wholly to God that we may be able stand always.

2007/3/1 14:52Profile
toknowHim

Re: pride

Vice #7: Pride
by Melodie Davis

"Committing pride can be the ruination of my self and my soul as surely
as committing murder. "

I have saved this vice, pride, for last in this look at vices. Why?
Because it is the hardest one for me. I truly think this is my biggest
temptation. But I am not proud to admit it. I am embarrassed. I am
afraid that people will think less of me.

There it is: proof that I am too proud.

One time I was with some friends who were confessing their
shortcomings for chocolate or cigarettes or handsome men and someone said, so
what is your vice, Melodie? Pride.

Too often we suffer from pride when our children mess up, beyond
the anguish we feel about a misdeed or mistake they?ve made. A note gets
sent home about what my daughter has done on the bus that day. I am
mortified. The behavior is bad enough, but what will the principal think
of us now? That we?re terrible parents?

We are often proud of the achievements of our children not for the
joy it brings us or them, but because it makes us look good. This is a
vice as bad as lust or greed or any of the rest.

The really insidious thing is that we are also pros at making
excuses for our own vices, so that even as I admit that I am proud when my
children make me ?look good,? I?m thinking, well, that vice certainly
isn?t as bad as lust, for heaven?s sake.

Oh yes it is. I am in denial. But my mother?s line comes back to
taunt me, and this is one of those lines that you think probably isn?t
actually found in the Bible, but there it is, Proverbs 16:18: ?Pride goes
before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.? What does that
mean exactly? Pride brings about a fall.

Whew. Enron executives. Worldcom accountants. Complicit auditors
for big companies. Senators. Even presidents, one who resigns and one who
doesn?t have the dignity to resign. Newspaper columnist Melodie Davis.
All people full of pride.

And this isn?t just a vice found in the dusty pages of the Old
Testament. No, there it is again, in plain language in Mark 7:20-22: ?What
comes out of you is what defiles you: out of the heart comes: evil
thoughts, fornication, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness,
deceit, licentiousness, envy, slander, pride, foolishness.?

Right down there with murder and adultery.

And so, when I think that I am better than someone else, because
I?m not so poor (or rich), or my kids don?t have pierced noses (keep your
fingers crossed), or I go to worship services every week, or fill in
the blank, committing pride can be the ruination of my self and my soul
as surely as committing murder.

Pride happens because we are human, and there is probably a fine
line between self-esteem and pride. Pride is also a close cousin to
jealousy. And envy. We are often proud because down deep we are also
envious/jealous. Many otherwise well adjusted and successful people suffer
from professional jealousy.

I do hope that this admission that I suffer from excess pride is
received in the spirit that it is given and intended: I?m as dirty
rotten as the next gal, but with the good Lord?s help, I am trying to keep
it in check. And I hope that this confession helps others look honestly
at their own weaknesses.

John 12:47-48
And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. [48] He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.

1 Cor. 11:31
For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

James 1:26
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.

toknowHim

2007/3/2 19:06Profile
pastorfrin

Re: pride

toknowHim,
Anyone who says they have no problem
with pride, is only fooling themselves.

Romans 16:27
To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.

If we could just take hold of this scripture,
only He is wise, leaves no room for pride.
1 Cor. 3:18-20
Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. [19] For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. [20] And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.

Makes it very clear that our wisdom is vain.

2 Cor. 10:12
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

There is only one we are to look to.

Philip. 2:1-8
If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, [2] Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. [3] Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. [4] Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. [5] Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: [7] But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: [8] And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

If we would but follow His example, how humble
we would become.

Proverbs 15:33
The fear of the Lord is the instruction of wisdom; and before honour is humility.

pastorfrin

2007/3/2 22:50Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Psa 118:9 [It is] better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.

Psa 125:1 [[A Song of degrees.]] They that trust in the LORD [shall be] as mount Zion, [which] cannot be removed, [but] abideth for ever.

Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Pro 28:25 He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the LORD shall be made fat.

Pro 29:25 The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.

2Cr 5:11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.

How are we going to be judged? Not by our sins, but by what we have done with the Glory of the Christ that is in us, which fulfills the word of God.

Rom 2:16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Colossians 1:24-28 I now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and do fill up the things lacking of the tribulations of the Christ in my flesh for his body, which is the assembly, of which I--I did become a ministrant according to the dispensation of God, that was given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God, the secret that hath been hid from the ages and from the generations, but now was manifested to his saints, to whom God did will to make known what is the riches of the glory of this secret among the nations--which is Christ in you, the hope of the glory, whom we proclaim, warning every man, and teaching every man, in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus,

Pride is not loving Christ and what God has done on the Cross for those that believe.

All obedience is to love God, all sin is to disobey God and not love Him.

Luk 10:27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

1 Corinthians 13:11-13 When I was a babe, as a babe I was speaking, as a babe I was thinking, as a babe I was reasoning, and when I have become a man, I have made useless the things of the babe; for we see now through a mirror obscurely, and then face to face; now I know in part, and then I shall fully know, as also I was known; and now there doth remain faith, hope, love--these three; and the greatest of these is love. The greatest of these is the Christ in us, which is Love.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/3/2 23:01Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Quote:

toknowHim wrote:

toknowHim

Brother,

From what I have read, and written, I do not see what you see in this site. Can we not debate with love? Indeed, how can any of us speak so freely to one another were it not done in love? Certainly we get very feisty here, but the moderators do not allow more.

And what is it that the world does not want more of?

Respectfully,

2007/3/3 2:42Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re:Best Look Around

When you registered on this site a bare month ago, you thanked SermonIndex for being around.

And that was after years of reading the posts?

Why do you go from thankfulness to attack?

Why do you accuse us of pride when we do not, so far as I know, make accusations so freely?

As for stars and number of posts, I can tell from these how serious is the member about participating in discourse, not just benefiting from the sermons. I need discourse about Jesus like I need the air to breathe! And every post is tracked so that a newcomer can find kindred souls, or souls to duel, politely, with.

There are great discussions here, and we don't all agree with each other. If we did, there would be no point in talking at all.

Frankly, if you come only to criticize, why are you here? If otherwise, join in on other subjects, hopefully in a less critical spirit.

Respectfully,

2007/3/3 3:27Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy