SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : YWAM

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Willo

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Re:

Avoid YWAM, I grew up on a YWAM base here in Australia, but today I would have nothing to do with them. While out on the streets once we met a YWAM DTS team, which was out evangelising. But they were all catholics and pushed 'works'.

When we challenged them on working with those who have different theology, they replied "There is truth everywhere, we just got to look for it, and then agree with that."

2007/3/1 4:34Profile

Re:

Quote:
Avoid YWAM, I grew up on a YWAM base here in Australia, but today I would have nothing to do with them. While out on the streets once we met a YWAM DTS team, which was out evangelising. But they were all catholics and pushed 'works'.

Thank you... that confirms what I said.

Krispy

2007/3/1 8:17
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

YWAM has thousands and thousands of kids yearly... because you didn't like what two of them had to say don't dismiss the whole organization.

2007/3/1 10:37Profile

Re:

Ian... I trust that you were referring to Willo, and not me. I think if you read my previous post you will see that I did not dismiss the organization. I merely stated what I see as a serious flaw, and legitimately so.

Krispy

2007/3/1 10:44
BenBrockway

Re:

Willo wrote:

Quote:

When we challenged them on working with those who have different theology, they replied "There is truth everywhere, we just got to look for it, and then agree with that."

Not all of YWAM is "bad." My friend, whom I pray with every week concerning revival, came out of YWAM and still has a desire to get back with YWAM. It was through YWAM that God gave him a burning passion to see revival take place.

Quote:

sscott wrote:
Hey Santana,

Check out "Fire School of Ministry".

http://www.fire-school.org/

I've never been there but I like the preaching of the two founders.

You can go here and listen to a few clips of Michael Brown and Bob Gladstone preaching.

http://fireonthealtar.com/fire/fire.html

Be sure to listen to the clips.

My aunt and Uncle attended the church that this started from. I personally have concerns about this ministry and the leadership. My family was invited down at the excited request of my relatives, so we decided to check it out. Some of what they said was good, but the ministry felt superficial and nearly dead. When they did an altar call, for something I can't remember now, I decided to go up (partly due to the urge of my relatives). So, I got up there and they began to lay hands on me and were actually expecting me to fall because of the presence of the Lord (I'd always been somewhat of a skeptic of this - not saying that it can't happen, but some fall over for drama's sake, not the presence of the Holy Spirit). Well, I didn;t fall, so they moved on to someone else, but then they came back to me, prayed again, and asked that satan remove himself from me that I would not resist His presence. I still didn't fall. So they moved on again, only to come back. This time, I decided to make sure that me knees weren't locked, in case it was an unwillingness on my part to truly fall over because of the Holy Spirit. (My knees hadn't really been locked before, but I was trying to make certian this time, because I didn't want to miss out. They prayed more strongly that the devil would take his grasp off me and I still didn't fall over.

Now let me mention that this whole time they were touching my head, but barely.

So, they moved on again once they could see that I wasn't falling over, and then came back to me for the fourth and final time. They prayed more strongly this time, that satan would leave and that the Holy Spirit would come in and take over. However, this time they decided to shove my head back very forcibly (because they can't look bad if someone's not falling over, ya know). In fact they shoved my head so forcibly that it just tilted my head way back, almost whiplash style. Well, I was losing my balance at this point, but not because of the Holy Spirit, so I recovered my balance before falling over, and that's when they decided to give up on me.

It's because of this experience and the feeling of the whole service kind of being superficial, that I've become learyof this whole ministry and the fire-school.

P.S. My younger brother decided to attend this school, really didn't like the first semester, but thought his heart might be hard, so decided to go again and finish out the year.

He came back reporting that it was so superficial and that they had all kinds of weird and crazy rules.

So, there you have it - My experience with Michael Brown and Bob Gladstone

2007/3/1 11:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
He came back reporting that it was so superficial and that they had all kinds of weird and crazy rules.

So, there you have it - My experience with Michael Brown and Bob Gladstone

That's why I was careful to say I had not been there. I had a similar experience with Bethany College of Missions in MN. I thought it would be a great school because the founder T.A Hegre was a friend of Leonard Ravenhill...he mentions him in one of his books and forwards. I took a trip up there a few years ago to check it out and was very disappointed.

I had another similar experinece with Steve Hill. I heard a sermon of his that was really good and then found out his church was about 20 min from my house. I went to check it out and again was disappointed. Benny Hinn books for sale and the service seemed "showie" (if that's a word).

2007/3/1 12:28

Re:

Quote:
I had another similar experinece with Steve Hill. I heard a sermon of his that was really good and then found out his church was about 20 min from my house. I went to check it out and again was disappointed. Benny Hinn books for sale and the service seemed "showie" (if that's a word).

Is this the same Steve Hill of the Brownsville "revival" fame? If so, you would do well to stay away from him. (as if the Benny Hinn books werent enough of a sign...)

Krispy

2007/3/1 14:49
BenBrockway

Re:

KrispyKrittr wrote:

Quote:

Is this the same Steve Hill of the Brownsville "revival" fame? If so, you would do well to stay away from him. (as if the Benny Hinn books werent enough of a sign...)

Krispy

Yup, same guy. That is actually when I went... during their "revival."

2007/3/1 15:12Profile

Re:

Quote:

Krispy

Absolutely, I agree. I wasn't very familiar with Steve Hill. I had just heard one sermon and then went to visit his church. Haven't been back.

2007/3/1 15:13
John173

Omaha

Re:

It's amazing how pervasive and wide spread this wof stuff has become. How can church leadership be so clueless?

Back in the mid 80's several college age kids (my age at the time) went on YWAM DTS trips. They all came back with incredible zeal for God and great testimonies of the things He had been doing. I remember reading a book about the vision and attainment of their mercy ship 'The Anastasis'. It's a great story. It stirred my heart so that I sought to get involved, but was prevented as God had other plans. The Anastasis actually turned out to be the connection my wife and I had at our first meeting. She had been on board the ship and hosted a couple of gals for some short term shore leave.

Over the years I have lost track of this minstry and am saddened a bit by the news of its decline. I know at one time they were vibrant and powerfully used of God in both the mission field as well as in the hearts of many young christians. If I'm not mistaken, the video of Keith Green titled "Devotion or Devotions" found here at SI is from a YWAM DTS.

It is my sincere hope that the bad reports of some of the activities in YWAM does not mean the whole thing has been corrupted. I had some less than pleasant experiences at two seperate Baptist churches when I was a young christian, but this by no means colors all Baptist churches. To paint with such a broad brush is quite unfair. Let's hope the same is true for YWAM.

If anyone knows about the recent ministry of the mercy ships I'd love to get an update.

In His Love,

Doug

2007/3/1 20:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy