SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I know a little bit about ATF

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re: I know a little bit about ATF

Quote:
ATF and Ron Luce have their hearts in the right place, their message straight from the Bible, but the way they attract teenagers I don't agree with. I wish they would kill the light, stop the rock bands, and just have one man with a Bible preaching, then see who would try and Acquire the Fire.

You know, I didn't see anyone post anything about this, and it's kind of shocking to me.

William Booth, leader of the Salvation Army used to dress in military clothes, he put together a band, and they all dressed in militery clothes. Then they would march through the streets playing their music as loud as they could to attract people. Then they would have preaching afterwards and many would get saved.

So in essence, they had loud music, strange clothes, and if you watch the videos on the site, it looks as though there was some hype.

[b]All the people so far say that the approach is wrong, [u]but none of them would be bold enough to question the approach of William Booth.[/u] I think in the next ten years, we will see the results of whether the approach is good or not.[/b]

2007/2/27 12:48Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Actually, I think events like Aquire the Fire are more for maintaining the status quo. The fact of the matter is I'm in touch with different ministries on a daily basis and there aren't many organizations that are blazing a new trail, most of them are just trying to keep weeds from growing over the ones that were blazed in revivals past -usually without much success.

Aquire the Fire is mostly for kids who are already involved in church, in order to inspire them to go deeper in their spiritual walk or consider missions -or just to think that its ok to be a Christian and to be a youth.

You're right, we need to take the cross into other cultures, but we don't necessarily need to bring our hymn books or liturgies... they need the cross, not our church culture or white middle class suburban culture.

People need Jesus! I'm not watering down anything, i'm trying to purify the Gospel.

Keith Green was looked on as satanic thirty years ago because he played rock music... by our standards in thirty more years the rock bands of today will seem tame. So a God that is timeless isn't going to see them through our eyes, he's looking for the hearts of people, not listening to the rythm of the music.

If we went back a hundred years and tried to sing some of our modern praise music, even the good Christ ordained kind that everyone in this forum can agree upon -we'd probably be shouted off the stage, because that music would be considered devil worship.

We need to realize that our preferences in music are not biblical, they're personal. Yes, when a band is seeking prestige and is full of pride then we should discourage that... but a lot of Christian bands are not... and a lot of Christian preachers are. So we need to be careful to avoid blanket condemnation.

2007/2/27 13:10Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

what is it that is so hard by accepting some music as wicked? why do we defend it so much.... two things i find people defending ....sins and their music style.... if we cant even change our music style and let go of it...how in the world can we let go of every thing we own?

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

our ears are part of that body too

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

if the world accepts it and "likes" it, what in the world are Christians doing "imitating" their music

Jas 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

2007/2/27 13:36Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

hmmhmm,

Please understand me when I say this, for more than two years I fasted from all the music that I loved, rock, punk, classical, jazz... I can't even stand to put on the Christian radio station because they play so many commercials for Christian dating services.

No music is in itself unclean. No instrument is a tool of satan... no genre is inherantly evil. There are proud and arrogant musicians playing every type of music, everything from hymns to ska!

Honestly, one thing that bugs me is when one man or woman in church will sing in a strong vibrato or in a different pitch because they think that they are doing the rest of a congregation a service by sharing their voice -when to me it's like fingernails on a chalk board.

I believe like Dietrich Bonhoeffer that when we lift praises to God our voices should blend together into one voice, where our own identity is lost in the praises being lifted up to God... in so many churches you hear chaos of different voices competing with eachother... at a rock concert when you're singing along with the lead singer you can't hear your voice at all... when everyone is singing it's one glorious noise to the Lord.

There's a lot of selfish individualism in church music in our churches... in rock music I can be alone, together, with God, with others, all at once in one beautiful sound.

Maybe I'm not going to the same Christian concerts as you guys, my two favorite Christian bands have long since broken up to go onto other ministries and raise families... I'd have to go to denver to hear the other one i like, that's a little out of the way.

I'm not imitating anyone's music. There were puritans who refused to listen to classical music -but we've seen past that. There were Christians who condemned William Booth for his music, there were people who were disgusted with Charles Wesley, some people didn't like the Hymns of Fanny Crosby... People thought that Keith Green was a satan worshiper because of his music... time will heal all wounds.

You can choose to condemn it here, but in the future there will be people that consider this music tame and glorifying to God. Frankly I'd rather have been the one who liked Charles Wesley's hymns when they were new than have to look back in retrospect and in humility and admit my small heart and understanding.

This is not to say that Skillet or any one band is Godly, we must discern on a case by case basis, but we should not blanket them with condemnation -we should seek God's heart in the matter.

Some people are told by God not to drink alchohal, but this doesnt' mean that it's a biblical mandate to be a teatotaller! Absolutely not, you're no less of a Christian if you choose to drink than if you abstain. The bible warns us about drunkeness and I think we can apply these things to rock music as well.

The bible warns us against making anything an idol -well that means our job, our ministry, our forum, our wife... it can also mean a rock band... but it doesn't exclusively mean rock bands and rock music, and it certainly doesn't mean that all jobs, ministries, forums, wives and rock bands are idols -that's a grosse perversion of the proper understanding of biblical truth!

2007/2/27 14:00Profile

Re:

Ben... there is a big difference between wearing military style uniforms and wearing revealing clothing (in the case of many female Christian singers today) or dressing like a drug dealer (see one of the pics on the other thread).

If you cant see the difference, then I guess I need to be more concerned for you than I already am.

Your comparison is silly.

Think about this... William Booths uniforms set them apart. Dress in modern music is designed to do just the opposite. Which one do you think is more scriptural. (Hint: William Booth!)

Krispy

2007/2/27 14:04
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Quote:
what is it that is so hard by accepting some music as wicked? why do we defend it so much.... two things i find people defending ....sins and their music style.... if we cant even change our music style and let go of it...how in the world can we let go of every thing we own?

There is a lot of wicked music out there. There I admitted it for you.

Now we can move on to dealing with sin issues instead of music.

What frustrated me about this whole thing is that it was the music that was attacked. If you want to say, that man does not read his Bible, he does not pray, he does not fellowship with other believers, and you have evidence of such behavior. You will have a case against the man and his music.

If however you are arguing that because the man plays rock music then he is not a Christian, then you are severely in need of the revelation of Christ.

[b]Would you say that Kieth Green's music was worldly?[/b]

If you do, then it is obvious what your problem is, you believe in a works mentality.

If you do not, then you need to reread what iansmith wrote about music and culture.

2007/2/27 14:06Profile
vico

Re:

Quote:
Keith Green was looked on as satanic thirty years ago because he played rock music... by our standards in thirty more years the rock bands of today will seem tame.

hmmmm...

I don't remember which sermon it was, maybe "Regeneration & self-denial", Paul Washer uses something like that as an example of how our culture is degenerating morally.

He said (in my own words) that "if you would have gone to a beach 60 years ago wearing what is commonly excepted today, the secular authorities would have either thrown you in jail, or commit you to an insane asylum." and, "if thats how cold we've become to sin in the last 60 years, we can't even begin to imagine how far we have fallen back in the last 6000 years!"

Can't you see whats happening? The longer time goes on it seems the more we come to accept more of the world, at first just a little in this area, and then a little more, and then a little more, and it just keeps going downhill. (Now I'm not saying that Keith Green is satanic!)

I could go into all kinds of studies that have been done on styles of music. even secular studies that show how human bodies are not suited to listen to rock music. Studies that show the effect this kind of music has on your mind, even the "Christian rock" (Keith Daniel says there is no such thing as "Christian rock"). But the real issue here is the Glory of God. Do we even know what that means??? Do we even have the faintest idea of what the Glory of God is? To an extent, I don't really care what that music does to my body or mind. But the Glory of God brothers! The Glory of God!

We have fallen far from what the Church used to be, and what it aught to be.

Quote:
If we went back a hundred years and tried to sing some of our modern praise music, even the good Christ ordained kind that everyone in this forum can agree upon -we'd probably be shouted off the stage, because that music would be considered devil worship.

Why do think that would be?? what if we went farther back, say 1900 years ago? what do you think the Church would have had to say about it then? what about even farther back, say... to the days of Solomon? imagine some of these bands playing in the temple courts. Do you think that would have been tolerated? Now, all that to say, if godly men in the past, even until 100 years ago wouldn't stand for this kind of music, why the change in our generation? why, in the past few generations have many of the moral standards in the Church crumbled, why is it not considered compromise anymore. If this is allowed to continue, will our grandchildren accept homosexuality in the Church as the norm???

Ian (i love you brother), you said that preference in music is personal. i agree with you. Now, if our music is toward God, we should ask Him what His personal preference is and stick to that, don't you think? ;-)

thats all for now :-)

2007/2/27 14:10Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Ben... there is a big difference between wearing military style uniforms and wearing revealing clothing (in the case of many female Christian singers today) or dressing like a drug dealer (see one of the pics on the other thread).

If you cant see the difference, then I guess I need to be more concerned for you than I already am.

Your comparison is silly.

Think about this... William Booths uniforms set them apart. Dress in modern music is designed to do just the opposite. Which one do you think is more scriptural. (Hint: William Booth!)

First of all, what is your definition of revealing clothing?

Second, which groups are you talking about?

Third, how many drug dealers do you know personally that dress like that?

I have met a few, and they don't have a specific style of clothing they wear, if they did, the cops would pick them up right away, that is just ridiculous.

Lastly, my dad was reading your post while I was reading it, and he wants to know why you are looking at women in revealing clothing?

2007/2/27 14:23Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well i nailed my culture to the cross, i recommend you do the same brother, my culture was evil to the core, I'm glad I'm not a part of it anymore. Now my culture is following Jesus, words from ravenhill come to mind...is the world crucified to you? or does it fascinate you?

i believe rock is evil, Ive read much about it, where it came from its roots, Ive lived as an ungodly man in the mist of that world, and just because you ad Jesus to it don't make it alright and clean.... many run whit Jesus in one hand and grasping for the world whit the other...it wont do, to me its like this...if it looks like the world... if it smells like the world.. if it acts like the world ....sounds like the world

guess what?

probably is of the world, but thats my opinion.
i believe so, i listen to ravenhill, washer, Stegen, k.daniel and many many many multitudes of godly holy men of God and they say the same thing as i do.... you guys disagree whit them thats ok... but why do you get so defensive when someone say its wicked?

2007/2/27 14:25Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Quote:
or dressing like a drug dealer

Funny, all the big time drug dealers I've ever known have dressed like pretty unassumingly -that way they don't get caught.

Will Smith the actor isn't a drug dealer, but if you'd never seen his television shows or movies and applied your blanket assumptions upon him you'd assume that he was just a crack pusher based on his cloths.

There are plenty of kids who love their bibles and have a heart sold out to Jesus who wear fubu and diesel. We all want to wear nice things, and sometimes nice things are in the eye of the beholder.

Now I do admit that young women need to dress more modestly, but I've seen Christian parents dress their daughters in skirts and tops that on a girl five or ten years older would be sinful -when you start them on it young it's going to be hard to explain to them why they have to start dressing differently later.

Neither of the two girls in the picture on the other thread appeared to be wearing anything that just screamed -sin! I've seen girls playing piano at churches for worship service wearing less than that!

2007/2/27 14:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy