Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Pastoral feedback

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
John173

Omaha

Pastoral feedback

My dear brothers in Christ,

I need some help. The Lord has been doing some deep digging in my heart as of late. Please read my post at this link, it is called Forward Scout.

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15069&forum=35&2

Then read my posts on Napoleon Hill at this link

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15070&forum=35&4

I see that both have been read a bit but I am not getting the feedback for which I was hoping. I realize that the topic I am raising seems a little off but as it gets discussed I believe the relevance to the body will become apparent.

As best I can explain what it is that I am driving at is the need for believers to turn off the TV and to stop reading the worlds magazines etc. Ultimately there is also a tie in to the need to be full of grace and compassion toward each other.

There is a great pool of understanding that has been placed in me. One reason I have struggled with communicating it is the wide array of subject matter. This is like a tapestry in my heart. Each topic is tied in to the others. But where do I begin? In many ways I simply feel overwhelmed by it all, yet I know the time has come to make the effort.

I believe the Lord has shown me that by making small forays in each subject here on SI, that all this will begin to come together into a cohesive whole. This will take time and commitment.

I believe dialogue with mature believers will be of great value in this effort.

I am also asking for your prayers. The adversary does not want me to succeed.

Reaching out In His Love,

Doug

2007/2/24 10:57Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Pastoral feedback

Dear Doug,

I did read your article before and answered. I must say I have already stopped watching TV and hate secular books and magazines for the most part. I do like gardening mags.

However to answer your question. I too have felt called to write here lately therefore at 53 I am taking a writing course. I have found that being a part of SI is really helping me in that. It is allowing me the opportunity to arrange my thoughts in a systematic order and not flop around like a fish on the beach.

This is a good place for you to start. It will also help you to tweek your revelations just a bit as people with greater understanding share a bit you hadn't thought of, at least that is what it does for me. And the fellowship is great too. :-D

2007/2/24 12:46Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Pastoral feedback

Quote:
As best I can explain what it is that I am driving at is the need for believers to turn off the TV and to stop reading the worlds magazines etc. Ultimately there is also a tie in to the need to be full of grace and compassion toward each other.

I believe there is a need to understand the secular worldview today and how it has permeated the whole of society,especially media, and even into the church. Paris Reidhead used the word "miasma" to describe this phenomenon. His sermons may be helpful in your quest as well as the writings of Francis Schaeffer. He had a unique ability to see into how Satan is attacking in our day, this can help us greatly in withstanding him. Mr. Schaeffer's understanding of how post-modern thought can be traced through philosophy, art, culture, and even into Theology, is truly insightful. I would recommend the book [i]Trilogy[/i] if you haven't already read it.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/2/24 16:42Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

One of the main points that I want to find a way to communicate has to do with the believers worldview. The reason I began talking about the devil's use of subliminal messaging has to do with one of his main objectives. He understands that much of our effectiveness as Christians is derived from our level of intimacy with the Father. When Jesus died the scripture tells us that the veil in the temple was rent from top to bottom. Through Jesus sacrifice we now have access to the very Holy of Holies! Yet so many of todays Christians do not consistently enter into that holy place. Why? It is my assertion that one causal factor in this is the effectiveness of this subliminal brain washing of man. One of his purposes is to create a deep inner dis-ease. An inner voice that tells us that we do not measure up. We can only measure up if we are successful, or beautiful, or own nice things such as a new car or the latest fashions etc. he has had great success in his endeavors. We as a society are deeply dis-eased. Even those of us who were redeemed early in life have been exposed to this subteranean mental destruction. We read the word of God that says we have been made acceptable through Christ, yet our inner man doesn't really believe it.

Enough said for now. Thoughts and reactions anyone?

In His Love,

Doug

2007/2/24 17:32Profile
Ruach34

Beijing

Re:

I agree. There is a subtle working of the evil one that pervades and influences. I will make this reply short, but it seems here in the US we need books on every issue in the heart and a conference to keep us 'recharged,' when the real issue is faith in Him who is complete deliverance and salvation. I am reminded of a word JESUS said, '...when I return will I find faith in the earth?' I have found more joy, peace and power in the silence of my closet than a loud, boisterous conference. Praise God that His foolishness is counfounding the wisdom of the world. Was this reply in sync with your statement or have I missed the mark?

2007/2/28 22:39Profile
death2self

Washington DC area

Re:

Quote:

I turned off the TV about three years ago and it was at the Lord's direction. It pretty much seared my heart for Jesus, even if it wasn't bad per se. When I was in the world, my life revolved arounds sports and NASCAR. Once you get tired of one sport, then another season starts. The devil knows the human heart...

If one wants to test this, I would encourage you to watch something on television and then try to read the scriptures for several hours. Whenever I've done this, I've either fallen asleep or gotten sleepy. So in my own life, the TV had to go. It made it much harder for me to hear what God was speaking to my heart but I simply didn't have ears to hear. There's been a pruning of things in my life that have taken away my heart for Jesus. We still have a TV but don't have cable and only have a handful of videos left, along with some videos from Times Square Church that sometimes the Lord will allow me to watch.

I wouldn't make this a general rule because we all walk under the Spirit not under the law. I wasn't very interested in magazines much but used to read the local newspaper but rarely do these days and don't feel that I've missed much.

2007/3/1 8:03Profile
John173

Omaha

Re:

There is something rattling around in this noggin of mine that I believe has value to the body of Christ. It has several different parts that are interconnected. Some day I hope to write a book that pulls it all together cohesively. It is difficult to do this as the connecting tissue between them is not readily apparent. Each of the following verses has a part in this.

[color=000099]Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, 15 and release those who[/color] [color=990000]through fear of death [/color][color=000099] were all their lifetime subject to bondage.[/color]

[color=009900]"Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."[/color]

[color=660066]16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. [/color]

[color=CC9900]13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."* 15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another![/color]

[color=FF0033]14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. 15 I speak as to wise men; judge for yourselves what I say. 16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? 17 For we, though many, are one bread and one body; for we all partake of that one bread.
18 Observe Israel after the flesh: Are not those who eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? 19 What am I saying then? That an idol is anything, or what is offered to idols is anything? 20 Rather, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice they sacrifice to demons and not to God, and I do not want you to have fellowship with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons; you cannot partake of the Lord's table and of the table of demons. 22 Or do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than He?[/color]

[color=0066FF]8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. 9 Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.[/color]

[color=990000]34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."[/color]

In the coming weeks and months I hope to continue developing these connections. This process will hopefully help me to gather this broad conceptual pool of 'understanding' into a communicatable whole.

I appreciate your patience and continued feedback.

In Him,

Doug

2007/3/1 10:15Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy