Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : John chapter 8

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

John chapter 8

What is the theme of John chapter 8?

The place is next to the treasury in the Temple. The time of Jesus's lesson takes place during the Feast of Tabernacle.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/2/21 21:39Profile
rookie

Re: John chapter 8

Here is a short explanation that I found on the internet concerning John chapters 7 and 8. This is an explanation of the ceremony that Jesus witnessed during the Feast of Tabernacles in Jerusalem.

"The setting of John 7 and 8 is Jesus' visit to Jerusalem for the Feast of Tabernacles. If John 7:53-8:11 is set aside for the moment, the three dialogs of this lesson all take place on the last day of the Festival. Understanding some of the rituals and the Feast of Tabernacles in Jesus' time provide important background for the material in our lesson. The Jews had held the Feast of Tabernacles in special esteem for almost a thousand years when the events of the text took place. First Kings 8:2 indicates that the dedication of Solomon's temple (approximately 960 B.C.) took place in conjunction with the Feast of the Tabernacles. For that reason the Jews - even in Jesus' time - saw a special connection between the temple and the Feast of Tabernacles.

Two ceremonies that were part of Tabernacles' celebration during Jesus' time are especially important in the context of John 7 and 8. The first involved water and the second involved light. Because Tabernacles was a fall, agricultural festival special prayers for rain were made during this celebration (see Hebrew/Jewish Calendar). If rain would fall at the time of Tabernacles or shortly afterwards it was seen as an indication of ample Fall rains that would prepare and restore the soil for a successful crop the following year. Zechariah 10:1 contains instructions to pray for rain. Zechariah 14:17 warns that rain will be withheld if Tabernacles is not properly celebrated. It is likely that Zechariah's vision of the fountain of waters overflowing out of Jerusalem is to be understood as an expression of the abundant rain for which Jews prayed at Tabernacles time.

A special ceremony was held each day of the Feast to dramatize this prayer for rain. A procession went from the temple down to the spring of Gihon at the southeast corner of the base of the temple mountain. A priest filled a golden pitcher with about two pints of the spring’s water. As the people sang Isaiah 12:3, "With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation," the procession returned with the pitcher to the temple compound. Each of the people in the procession carried a clump of myrtle and willow sticks tied with a palm in one hand and a lemon or citron in the other hand. The willow sticks reminded them of the huts or tabernacles in which Israel had lived in the wilderness. The lemon or citron was a sign of harvest.

As they entered the temple area the procession began to sing the Hallel Psalms (Psalms 113-118). The procession went around the large altar for the burnt offerings and the priest poured the pitcher of water into a funnel that took the water through the altar to the ground. As the singers finished Psalm 118 they gave a great shout and waved their palm leaves toward the altar. This dramatic ritual of the water pouring was done each of the first seven morning of the Feast of Tabernacles. On the seventh day, the procession went around the great altar seven times before the water was poured out. This ceremony was a vivid expression of thanksgiving to God for the gift of rain, a dramatic prayer for rain, and a powerful reminder of the way God brought water from the rock as Israel had traveled in the wilderness.

The second dramatic ceremony associated with Tabernacles was the Illumination of the Temple. On the evening of the first day of Tabernacles four great candleholders were placed in the center of the Court of the Women. When it was dark all the candles were lit. Ancient witnesses claimed that the candles sent a blaze of light throughout all of Jerusalem. As Barclay states, "The Festival of Tabernacles was a time then that the blaze of the Temple lights illumined the city and pierced the darkness of its squares and courts and lanes." Throughout the night the spiritual leaders of the Jews sang psalms of praise and celebration and danced before the Lord. There was a strong symbolism that relationship with God was a light that illumined all of Jerusalem and penetrated all the darkness of the soul."

Imagine what it would have been like when Jesus identified Himself as the source of both living water and the light of life.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/2/25 22:01Profile
rookie

Re:

When the scribes and priests heard the words of Jesus, what Scriptures might have pricked their hearts?

Job 33:28 He will redeem his soul from going down to the Pit, and his life shall see the light.

Job 33:30 To bring back his soul from the Pit, that he may be enlightened with the light of life.

Psalm 27:1 The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 36:9 For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light.

Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp and the law a light; reproofs of instruction are the way of life.

Psalm 68:26 Bless God in the congregations, The Lord, from the fountain of Israel.

Proverbs 13:14 The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death.

Proverbs 14:27 The fear of the Lord is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death.

Jeremiah 2:13 "For My people have committed two evils; they have forsaken Me, the fountain of living waters, and hewn themselves cisterns--broken cisterns that can hold no water."

Jeremiah 17:13 O Lord, the hope of Israel, all who forsake You shall be ashamed. "Those who depart from Me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the Lord, the fountain of living waters."

Zech. 13:1 "In that day a fountain shall be opened for the house of David and for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for sin and for uncleanness."

The things that Jesus witnessed of Himself fomented emnity between Him and the rules of Israel that day. The emnity was great enough that those leaders would even forsake their own laws to expedite the killing of this man...

This emnity reminds me of the covenant God made with Satan in Genesis 3:15.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/2/26 20:42Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote:

"Imagine what it would have been like when Jesus identified Himself as the source of both living water and the light of life."

In Christ
Jeff

This is exactly what happens when Christ is Born Again in the believer.

Jhn 8:12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

He is truly the light of Life by His Spirit that is Born Again in us.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Being born again by the Word of God. John 1:1-4 He is the Word and the living Water of New Life in Christ Jesus.

Jhn 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Ephesians 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

We are without blemish by the Holiness of Christ in us the Hope of Glory.

Ephesians 5:30-32 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

We are One with God through Jesus Christ and His birth in us. Hence son's of God.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/2/27 0:37Profile
rookie

Re:

John 8:37 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with your father.”

John 8:39 They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.”

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.”

Jesus declares " “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. "

Do you see what Jesus identifies as the root of the hatred that has grown in those who want to kill Him?

Then Jesus declares, "41 You do the deeds of your father.”

In Genesis 3:15 we hear...

15 And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her Seed;
He shall bruise your head,
And you shall bruise His heel.”

Do you see that these men who accuse Jesus are the "seed" of Satan?

This is one precept that we find in John 8.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/2/27 0:39Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Phillip wrote:

Quote:
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

He is truly the light of Life by His Spirit that is Born Again in us.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Being born again by the Word of God. John 1:1-4 He is the Word and the living Water of New Life in Christ Jesus.

Jhn 4:10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water.

Jhn 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

Ephesians 5:25-27 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

We are without blemish by the Holiness of Christ in us the Hope of Glory.

Ephesians 5:30-32 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh. This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

We are One with God through Jesus Christ and His birth in us. Hence son's of God.

How does this fit in this thread, John chapter 8?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/2/27 0:44Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John 8:52-53 Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself?

YES!!

John 8:59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

John 8:48 Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?

John 8:41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God.

John 8:33 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?

John 8:27 They understood not that he spake to them of the Father.

John 8:13 The Pharisees therefore said unto him, Thou bearest record of thyself; thy record is not true.

John 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

The only Way: John 3:16-19 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/2/28 2:25Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Phillip quoted from John 3...

Brother how does your thought coorespond with these words of Jesus?

Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this. 41 You do the deeds of your father.”

In Christ
Jeff

2007/2/28 2:44Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

John 8:33-36 They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

They were not free in Abraham's works. They could only be free in The Son.

In The Son: Phillip

2007/2/28 4:28Profile
rookie

Re:

Brother Phillip wrote:

Quote:
They were not free in Abraham's works. They could only be free in The Son.

Look again to what Jesus said...

Jesus points out that they indeed are not Abraham's children. If they were the seed of Abraham they would do the works of Abraham.

But instead Jesus said...

John 8:37 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you. 38 I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with your father.”

Jesus points to the fact that the men before Him have as their seed Satan.

You see the difference between the decendants of Abraham and the children of Abraham is this...those who are the children have the words of Jesus as their guide.

Jesus points out to them...

47 He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”

So we know that Abraham heard God's words and that is what distinguishes those who are set free from those whose father is Satan.

But all of this is getting ahead of why I started this thread...

In Christ
Jeff

2007/2/28 6:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy