SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Authentic Biblical Christianity.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Healing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 )
PosterThread
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I'm not sure if you read my post through, particularly the scriptures, because you seem to be saying here that you'd rather take the example of how humans teach their children than how the Father taught His Child.

I don't understand, I thought that this is the way God teaches us. The closer I have gotten to Him, the more He has treated it as a relationship of trust. Not just with healing, but with every area. Kinda like once He reveals something, like His power to heal people, He expects me to walk it out in reality.

So at first He teaches me, then He lets me do it myself(not without His power of course). And only when He really wants to do something special does He begin saying something new.

Quote:
I know you are not just chucking an opinion at me that you haven't thought about, and I'm not returning a shallow one to you either. I don't have experience of beginning to pray for forty people, but I've learned when I pray for anyone (and not just for healing), to wait on the Lord first, and simply pray what He gives me. He has never failed to give me something particular. This includes the times He has put it in my heart to pray for what is probably closer to a miracle than a healing.

In my personal opinion, a healing is a miracle. The only difference in the two that I find in scripture is that when things like Jesus turning water into wine happen, its refered to as a miracle. But then so are quite a few healings.

Quote:
And, I honestly believe that if you try doing it this way, the faith will be there for you and the other person, for what He wants to give. This way, we keep in step with Him.

See and what I am saying is that this is the example I have always followed, but I wonder if I wouldn't see more mighty things happen, by just stepping out in faith? The Lord is not going to leave me there hanging in mid air I don't think.

2007/3/1 10:17Profile

Re: Healing

Hi Ben,

I think perhaps we each have a different definition of faith.

You said

Quote:
but I wonder if I wouldn't see more mighty things happen, by just stepping out in faith?

You seem to think that 'stepping out in faith' means that you guess at what God might want to do in the situation, and you trust on your past experience and what you think you know already.... Which, in some personal circumstances can be a reasonable way to go, especially if it doesn't involve too many other people's lives in your guesswork.

But, my definition of faith is totally rooted in the concept of hearing God speak to me, and believing into THAT WORD.

philologos would put it slightly differently... something a bit more like 'a right response to revelation'.

What I was trying to communicate in my previous post, is the concept that Jesus Himself waited for revelation from the Father before acting. Then, in faith, He acted or spoke (or both).

Truly, I believe this takes all the guesswork out of praying for other people. I believe it is scriptural, and a far greater discipline than hoping for the best, without a single hint from God of what He actually wants you (or me) to pray.

It can also be, sometimes, that one starts out praying as the Spirit leads, and ends up somewhere unexpected.... right in the middle of one's prayer God is challenging one to believe into a much bigger 'word' than one had in mind when one enthusiastically encouraged another soul to invite God to do something vital for them. It really is an 'open your mouth and I will fill it' situation (in those cases).

Actually, I think this really challenges the flesh and the mind of the flesh, because sometimes we have our own agenda and dearly want God to bless it, when really, God has His own agenda, and dearly wants us to be quiet and tune into it. This take the guesswork out of 'faith'.

As one dear saint quipped 'I was quite willing to compromise, but God wanted everything His own way!' We do well to take this seriously, because He is going to [i]get[/i] everything His own way....

Do you see the distinction I'm making?

2007/3/1 15:55

Re:

Thank you Dorcas, that was beautiful.

Please everyone, read a new thread just posted in the Lounge "The Need of the Human Heart". Not directly on any of the topics that have caused bad feeling, but 100% relevant all the same

jeannette

2007/3/1 16:04
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

Re:

Hey Dorcas,

I think you are misunderstanding how I do operate concerning these things. My way has been so far exactly what you have described. But I feel as though it is severely lacking in some way.(I just don't know what)

I totally understand what you are saying, and that is what I have always done, and still do. But so often I just feel like God wants to heal everyone that needs to be prayed for. So where do I go when I feel that leading of "I want to heal everyone"?

If God speaks in a general way rather than a specific way. And remains silent when we press Him for specifics, what do you do? Do you go away and fast for a while until He answers? Or do you step out on the general leading you feel, and just begin to pray for the people?

2007/3/1 16:42Profile

Re: two testimonies from the same family

My friend and prayer partner has a son who had advanced cancer. He doesn't have it any more, the Lord healed him. The Lord promised that he would be healed, both through Scripture and prophetic words.

Her sister died this morning, of another form of cancer.

We had hoped there would be a word of healing for her too, but instead the Lord gave us various scriptures, including Isaiah 40:5 [i][color=000099][font=Verdana]......The glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it..."[/font][/color][/i] and Psalm 78:
[i][color=000099][font=Verdana]...4 ...We will not hide them from their children,
Telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord,
And His strength and His wonderful works that He has done.
5 For He established a testimony in Jacob,
And appointed a law in Israel,
Which He commanded our fathers,
That they should make them known to their children;
6 That the generation to come might know them,
The children who would be born,
That they may arise and declare them to their children,
7 That they may set their hope in God,
And not forget the works of God,
But keep His commandments;[/i][/color][/font]...

The latter passage made us truly hope that she would be healed - for how else could she see her children and grandchildren saved?

Yet the Word and the promise of the Lord stands sure. And He said that it would be to His glory and to the salvaion of her family (my friend led her to the Lord a few months ago, so there's no fear or sorrow for her, however great the loss and grief for those left behind)

Why wasn't she healed? We had faith, and the Lord had already healed her nephew, so we had evidence of His power also.

We even wondered if He might raise her from the dead, but yesterday He gave a word that we were not to be presumptious or demand that He would do what we thought He should do.

Ben, I'm so glad you have started asking these questions. The Lord has already honoured your faith that He will heal; now you are going deeper. I agree with you that it is good to hope or even [i]expect[/i] the Lord to heal - why shouldn't a loving Lord do so? It is only when the expected or hoped for thing doesn't happen that we have to do much heart searching, and maybe conclude in the end that A + B doesn't [i]always[/i] = C

I envy you in a sense, because I was always a doubter, and have found it hard to trust Him in the area of healing and miracle. You have had no difficulty in that, but now He is leading you further into the things of His heart - mostly through Dorcas's wise answers.

We are all learning, however long we've been on the road.

Love in Him

jeannette

2007/3/1 16:47

Re: Healing

Hi Ben.... at last....

Quote:
If God speaks in a general way rather than a specific way. And remains silent when we press Him for specifics, what do you do? Do you go away and fast for a while until He answers? Or do you step out on the general leading you feel, and just begin to pray for the people?

'If God speaks in a general way rather than a specific way.'

People were never 'general' to Jesus. Each one was addressed individually. He never just raised His hand over a multitude, and healed them all at once. I believe this is something to do with God's desire to communicate with the indivduals who approach Him for healing. So, if you have only a general feeling of God's presence to heal, I would find different ways to become more sensitive to His guidance, so I was lead round the crowd in the order HE led me.

'And remains silent when we press Him for specifics, what do you do? '

I believe you wait. Most people in the situation of being at such a meeting, have been ill or unwell historically. If they were an emergency, they would be (usually) in hospital. So, you have more opportunity to mess up the dealing God has in store for them by praying out of the Spirit, than honestly telling an individual the Lord has shown you nothing. At this point, you can turn the problem on to the petitioner, by asking how the Lord has been speaking to them in the past. Sometimes, once you get more perspective on God's dealings with the person, to date, you can sense whether a leap of faith or simply another step, is required of them.'

'Do you go away and fast for a while until He answers?'

If that's what He puts in your heart, especially if for someone in your home church or one you know well, then do you have an option [i]not[/i] to fast? It may be relevant to a deliverance, or, the Lord will give you His word when the timing is right for the whole church.

'Or do you step out on the general leading you feel, and just begin to pray for the people?'

Of course you can pray with people, that they should be blessed. That never harms (as someone once said to me). But don't take all the responsibility on your own shoulders. Let others also pray with you, and let the person seeking healing or whatever blessing, also put something into words to God, so that the outcome is something [i]they[/i] have committed themselves to [/i]receive[/i].

Iow, allow the Lord to tune your ear more finely to His words. He is always speaking and it is easy to feel pressurised to perform in that sort of group situation. But, I'm sure His aim is to lead you towards being confident, every time you pray, that you are praying in His will, and according to His word. That is scriptural and if you already do it, there is no need to depart from this Christ-like practice.
Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding how I do operate concerning these things. My way has been so far exactly what you have described. But I feel as though it is severely lacking in some way.(I just don't know what)

I think this feeling is real, yet, but not necessarily something to detain or deter you. It may even be a lie, designed to draw you off your prey.

You're treading on enemy territory with your attitude, and while there will always be refinements you can make, remember this work for the Lord is primarily a service to Him, and in His stead. It is not about a formula other than we have discussed, or about forcing people who are not not yet ready, to open themselves to exorcism or some kind of healing which would make a good headline, but doesn't make then feel bothered with at the level of their inner being. Often that's where their 'pain' really is, and dealing with the outward manifestation of it requires patience. Unless the Lord gives you a clear lead toward a much bigger event in the Spirit.

2007/3/20 1:48

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy