SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Lack of good christian books in christian bookshops

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Lack of good christian books in christian bookshops

Ever since the release and maybe before then. I have found that books like the Person Driven Life and alot of self help books are in christian bookshops.
I am in the Uk and only can speak about the books that I have personally seen come out.
I check through the sections and the only book I may like is say John Bunyan Pilgrims Progress.
Does anybody find the same thing?

2007/2/21 6:55Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re: Lack of good christian books in christian bookshops

Yes, I have found this where I live.
I have, however, heard of a particular bookstore down in the south-eastern part of the US that won't sell many of the popular books today. Can't remember it though... I recall it being quite a small bookstore chain. I would think God would honor that commitment to only sell books that are pleasing to Him.
The few stores here are loaded with false teachings and novelty. The scarey thing is that is what sells where I live.
They order in my books for me though. The girls that work there understand. They say, "Oh, the classics... the good stuff." They know.
It is scarey though.... selling that garbage. I've bought some back in the day.... got home, read a few pages until coming across Scripture taken out of context and other false teachings. I wouldn't re-sell them though.
Too bad I live in a apartment. I miss having a firepit in the backyard. :-P :-o :-?

richie

2007/2/21 7:23Profile

Re:

There is a Christian bookstore in this part of NC that wont cater to the psycho-babble self help books that are the big sellers to the church. However, they are in competition with Family Christian and Lifeway, which are the big boys on the block... so they have steep prices on things just to survive.

Here's my take on Christian bookstores... first off, they charge waaaay too much. I can go buy the same book or CD at Walmart or Amazon for way less. Even lower on Ebay. People say "Well, at least if you buy it at a Christian bookstore your money is going to Christians." No it isnt! It's going to a corporation... a corporation who's goal it is to make as much money as possible. The bottom line for Family Christian and Lifeway is the same as it is for Walmart and Amazon.

Now, thats not necessarily a bad thing. But it is when people think of these corporations as "ministries". Write a letter to the corporate headquarters of one of these bookstores and tell 'em you're broke, but you would like to have a Bible. See how far you get. (The folks at your local store might help you out, but not the corporation)

Secondly... the average Christian bookstore is full of "Jesus Junk" and books by a plethura of false teachers and prophets. There is usually no scrutiny concerning who's book they are selling... unless there is a controversy. Then, perhaps, they may pull a book off the shelf.

I remember when Amy Grant unbiblically divorced her husband and remarried a non-believer, and said God told her to commit this form of adultry. The bookstores pulled her CD's... for awhile. Now they are right back on there.

You can buy Benny Hinn's books... Kenneth Hagin's books... etc etc. False teacher? No problem. If we can make money on it, we're sellin' it!

I personally believe that Christian bookstores are the modern money changers. And there is a church here in town that has a Parables Christian bookstore (a chain store) right in their main building... just outside the sanctuary. How is that any different than what we see in the Bible?

Now... before I end this, let me point out that the folks at your local Christian chain-store are probably very sincere people who believe they are performing a ministry to the local churches. I think they are mistaken, but I'm not against those people. I'm sure they mean well.

HOWEVER... Christianity is [b]BIG[/b] business. I think the Apostles would be appalled if they walked into a modern day Christian bookstore.

...especially when they see the "12 Apsotles Breath Mints" ... or "Blood of the Martyrs Chewing Gum" for sale up by the register.

Krispy

2007/2/21 8:09
preacherafla

Michigan, USA

Re:

Amen Krispy!

You make some very good points. I have a friend who bought a movie from Family and since she bought it there thought it must be "family friendly." However with the swearing and taking God's name in vain she was very surprised. In a way it was a good lesson to check things out first but frankly it had no business being in the store except it was "business."

The church I grew up in has grown in numbers very much and has changed even more. They also have a bookstore in the church which does business on Sunday and I was amazed at the kinds of books they carried. Many went against what the denomination stands for yet there they are.

Have a great day!

2007/2/21 8:54Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Luckily I live in Seattle and we have tons of second hand and eccentric bookstores... no Christian ones though, unless you head north or south. Generally though, if you go to find non Christian books at a secular book store you're going to find two things, lot's of REALLY heretical stuff and some good old classics!

One shop I know has a huge section on karma in Christianity and an equally large section of CS Lewis books. So you've got to know how to look.

I also found that Barnes and Nobles has a pretty good section of books, they've got Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Ravi Zacharias, Corrie Ten Boom, CS Lewis etc. and they can order just about anything else you'd want.

Generally if you go to a secular bookstore the prices are more reasonable too. A christian bookstore I know sell's a copy of pilgrim's progress for like $10, and I got it used at a used book store for under $1.

2007/2/21 10:04Profile

Re:

Ian... guess where I have gotten a lot my favorite Christian books... [b]yard sales[/b]!

I collect Bibles at yard sales too. I've collected a lot of antique Bibles, mostly pay about $1 for them.

Krispy

2007/2/21 10:14

Re:

I hear ya, Krispy, thats where I get most of my good books. I like collecting bibles too.

I remember a United Church in our city turned gay, and in the process of time, they lost most of their membership because of it and they had to close it down. This was a massive building and over 150 years old. They had to clean everything out, I remember walking by and saw a dump truck there and I thought I take a gander into see what was going on. They were literally throwing out everything, even their KJV bibles. I grabbed as many as I could get my hands on, most were on the floor being shoveld into bins. Many were as old as the church.

From a used book store, I got a 1785 sermon book, very well preserved, paid $20 for it, it was a steal as far as I was concerned. I got another couple of book of almost the same year for $40. There was some information about holiness that caught my eye.

Our local christian book store, the only one in the city is pathetic, they got nothing worth looking at, I mean nothing, even their music is no good. The anointed materially you have to order in. But I buy most of my stuff online now.

Ahhh, the summer is coming, and I can hardly wait for those yard/garage sales to start.

:-)

2007/2/21 11:20
Provost

Re:

Here in Milwaukee Family Christian bookstore only has 3 racks with good books.
As far as Bibles the message and NIV outnumber all the other translations (now I read my NIV as well it's just sad to see the more literal translations outnumbered by the NIV and the blasphemous working of Mr. Petersen)
Also VCY in milwaukee has probably lost Thousands of dollars b/c they refuse to carry crap. PROPs and Prayers to them.
God Bless y'all

2007/2/21 12:16Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
"Blood of the Martyrs Chewing Gum"

Your not serious are you? :-?

I hope there isn't such a thing.

2007/2/21 13:01Profile
Branded4him

Ohio

Re:

Family Christian Bookstores has alot of nonsense and is very seeker sensitive. But also they have a classic section. Where you can get Ravenhill , Spurgeon , Tozer , Bunyan , Augustine , Wesley . Nee , Edwards , Finney and so forth.

2007/2/21 13:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy