SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : query...what say ye?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Rahab did some serious lying. Notice, for this "deception" she is mentioned with honor in James, and as a faith exemplifier in Hebrews.

Brother Paul

2007/2/20 22:32Profile

Re: query ..... what say ye?

PaulWest said

Quote:
Rahab did some serious lying. Notice, for this "deception" she is mentioned with honor in James, and as a faith exemplifier in Hebrews.

I would like to put this in the context of her thoughts which preceded her actions, which she later put into words for us.

Joshua 2:8 - 13 (NASB)
Now before they lay down, she came up to them on the roof, and said to the men, "I know that the LORD has given you the land, and that the terror of you has fallen on us, and that all the inhabitants of the land have melted away before you. For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea before you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites who were beyond the Jordan, to Sihon and Og, whom you utterly destroyed.

When we heard it, our hearts melted and no courage remained in any man any longer because of you; for the LORD your God, He is God in heaven above and on earth beneath. Now therefore, please swear to me by the LORD, since I have dealt kindly with you, that you also will deal kindly with my father's household, and give me a pledge of truth, and spare my father and my mother and my brothers and my sisters, with all who belong to them, and deliver our lives from death."

In other words, Rahab recognised the higher power of the God whom they served, and using her spiritual intelligence, she believed in Him. The first time I noticed what she told the spies, I wondered what it must have been like being that frightened for forty years, knowing the people of this God were coming my way sooner or later. No wonder she readily helped them!

So, here is another thought. There is a theme throughout scripture - if you can read it this way - about us having been born into believing a lie - the serpent's lie to Eve, that we would not really die.

This is at the heart of understanding Paul's message on Mars Hill. These people had never heard of Christ, or resurrection from the dead (which was a concept familiar to Jews, such as Martha), let alone of the wrath to come in the day of judgment, yet, he mentioned all these things once, while he had the attention of the crowd.

The FACT is, mankind is lulled into believing THE [u]lie[/u] that it's all going to be ok. When he dies, either there is [i]nothing[/i], or, at least it is [i]not[/i] going to be serious [i][b]wake-up! time[/b][/i] with God.

Therefore, when we are talking here about 'lying', while I am chewing on this as much as other contributors to this thread, I'm wondering if some of us are taking a legalistic view of the matter, instead, as ginnyrose suggested

Quote:
Our training did not prepare us for all the situations we encountered. But I have learned to be quiet and rest in the Holy Spirit and at the proper time He would give me words to say. Afterwards I would be in awe.....I made no point in remembering whatI said because I know the Holy Spirit would do it again: it was his work anyways and all I was is a vessel. Perhaps one should consider this issue in the same manner? Just be content to be a vessel through whom the Holy Spirit will speak and not worry about it, except for perhaps fear that you may take matters into your own hands and foul things up.

I know philologos would go further, as he has considered how he would respond in a wartime situation, such as those faced by menfolk dragged out of their houses being asked if anyone else was still inside. Perhaps someone remembers the thread in which this has been previously aired?

In summary, what is 'a lie', compared with 'the lie'?

2007/2/21 7:48
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
In other words, Rahab recognised the higher power of the God whom they served, and using her spiritual intelligence, she believed in Him

Yes, sister. It seems unlikely that Rahab received direct corespondance from God, like in the manner of a Balaam. But somehow she [i]knew[/i] and recognized the all-sovereign God of the Hebrews and that victory over Jericho was certain. What's even more amazing is that she risked her life for this knowledge (without a Bible) while in sin. I like how you said she used her "spiritual intelligence," for the notion of risking something as radical and dangerous as she did - aiding and abeting the "enemy" and then bald-faced lying to the regal authorities - could only be provoked by a premonition so dire and real that God must have birthed it in her spirit. This thought of "hiding the enemy" wasn't a mere whim.

You gave us some good thoughts!

Brother Paul

2007/2/21 9:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy