SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Tongues in a public setting?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Delboy

Worthing UK

Tongues in a public setting?

Hello all, can i start a new thread with regard to the use of tongues or different heavenly languages,
From the thread on it being initial evidence, much was said and shown that it is a manifestation/ministration from God.This we do not doubt.What i would invite comments on is,Within a context of a gathering where there are non-believers should there be corporate speaking or singing in tongues without interpretation?
Wayne Grudem in his systematic theology chapter 53 seems to say that all speaking/singing in tongues should have an interpretation
Any comments please?

2004/3/8 14:29Profile
JKail

Re: Tongues in a public setting?

Quote:
What i would invite comments on is,Within a context of a gathering where there are non-believers should there be corporate speaking or singing in tongues without interpretation?

Paul talks about spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians 12-14, and the guidelines for public speaking in tongues is given in chapter 14 verses 26-28. Paul lays out as a general principle that the manefistations of the Spirit "must be done for the strengthing of the church." Then he says, "If anyone speaks in a tongue, two- or at the most three- should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God."

So we see that in any given public meeting, no more than three people should be speaking in tongues, and they must speak one at a time, and there must be an interpreter. It seems that the Corinthian church was putting too much emphasis on the gift of tongues, and this happens very often today. While it is a real and valuable gift, we must watch that we do not have an unhealthy focus on it, or any other gift of the Spirit for that matter. We must keep are eyes on Jesus! Paul wrote this letter to instruct the church on how to preserve this gift, and use it in a way that pleases God and edifies the entire congregation.

Today there are many abuses going on in the name of the Spirit of God and its a terrible thing because it causes many to shy away from the Holy Spirit all together. That is why we must submit to the authority of God's Word. To quote Jim Cymabala's Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire, "If you have only the Word, you dry up. If you have only the Spirit, you blow up. But if you have both, you grow up."

God Bless,
Jake Kail

2004/3/8 17:14Profile
msamiec

Re:

1Corinthians 14 talks about two different types of tongues. Tongues for the church for the purpose of edification, and tongues for the purpose of edifying self.

There are a few verses saying simply that it conversation between the Spirit in us and God himself.

But when there is a message for the Church, the Bible says not to speak, UNLESS there is an interpreter. Why? Because it will be unfruitful. Nothing will be profited to the believers.

At my church many people sing praises to God in the Spirit (tongues). Usually after the singing and worshipping the room will quiet down and God will speak through someone either through prophecy, or through tongues. This is the message for the church. It is then interpreted and everyone receives edifying.

Hope that helped...

2004/3/10 18:49Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Hi msamiec,
thanks for that,

Quote:
1Corinthians 14 talks about two different types of tongues

I'm not sure that it says 2 types of tongues.do you mean 2 types of applications for example, personal prayer,but same laungage.and corporate prayer, same laungage with interpretation.I am interested in anyone's thoughts on corporate and simultainious tongue speaking/singing that happens in a meeting without interpretation.Can i point you to my first post and my Wayne Grudem reference..
looking ahead & up
Delboy ;-)

2004/3/11 18:18Profile
JKail

Re:

Quote:
I am interested in anyone's thoughts on corporate and simultainious tongue speaking/singing that happens in a meeting without interpretation.Can i point you to my first post and my Wayne Grudem reference..

If Wayne Grudem is talking about public meetings then he is correct. 1 Corinthians makes it clear that any speaking in tongues in a public service must be followed by interpretation. This serves 2 purposes: to keep the meetings from becoming chaotic, and to keep in mind that unbelievers may be present.

However, if you are having a private prayer meeting with brothers and sisters in the Lord I see no scriptural reason for tongues having to be interpreted....However it should never be chaotic.

I hope that helps...

Jake Kail

2004/3/12 1:23Profile
msamiec

Re: Tongues in a public setting?

I just remembered... I wrote an article about tongues:

http://marcin.desseo.com/old/article_reader.php?top=studies&sub=tounges

God bless

2004/3/12 2:18Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re: Re: Tongues in a public setting?

Quote:
However, if you are having a private prayer meeting with brothers and sisters in the Lord I see no scriptural reason for tongues having to be interpreted....However it should never be chaotic.

Thanks JK I agree,msamiec thanks too, i looked at your article and it is helpful,your answers to objections though are brief and possibly dont explore the scriptures you use fully
I do speak in tongues and have interpreted in a public setting.I think Paul talks well when he says I would rather speak a few words and help someone to be closer to jesus than a thousand in tongues (my translation!) :-) Really guys I'm just exploreing the misuse that is around in alot of groups
Looking ahead & up
Delboy

2004/3/12 3:34Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi
here's my 2 cents worth. I am a bit more liberal, I think, in the way I interpret 1 Corinthians. I think 'silence' in this epistle is often 'relative'.

1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
1 Corinthians 14:30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace.
1 Corinthians 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

all these verses use the same word, which really means 'shush'.

I think the thrust of 1 Corinthians relates to individuals pushing themselves forward; every one of you says I [1Cor 1:12] Consequently I think these statements in 12-14 are not absolutes but relative. There are not many now who would insist that the sisters are not issued with hymnbooks because they are required to remain silent.

I think this has to do with 'public utterance' in the sense of the voice raised to gain the attention of the whole meeting. I don't think we are to understand from this that everyone sat like stone carvings with not an 'amen' among them. The instruction is to prevent 'disorder'. I don't think a congregation 'singing' in tongues is disorderly, but I do think that several people vying for the attention of the meeting would be 'disorderly'. I think Paul is banning competition not corporate praise.

WKIP

2004/3/12 3:52Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re:

Hmmm! food for thought ron,so far on this thread i hav'nt looked at it this way.I think now we are getting a more fuller view on the subject.Thanks

2004/3/12 4:22Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Beloved,

Tongues in a public setting that requires an interpretation is generally a fearsome event if God is in it. The problem is that so many "God is among you" or "the Lord is in your midst" nonsensical interpretations of "messages in tongues" in a public setting have went forth that they very impact of the phenomena has been all but mocked. When I was a young boy you could hear a pin drop when a message went forth and people would tremble before the Lord. We don't have te time or space to truly do justice to the doctrines of glossolalia- but let me just remind all my fellow Pentecostal/Charismatic brethren of this passage:

"In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe." (I Corinthians 14:21-22).

Think about what was just said- the message was a sign to them that did not believe. When God interupts a service with a message in tongues friends He means business! It is a LAST resort on behalf of God to reach a person with a "different tongue" with a message they would not hear in "their tongue." this is generally the case. It is an act almost of judgment. Why would God use tongues when He EASILY could have used anointed prophecy or a word of knowledge, etc. Because it is a SIGN that someone does not believe the message that God is trying to deliver. "I am among you"... YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING! This is why there is confusion today. When people pray to themselves for their own edification in a service in tongues this is always permissable in scripture... but when a loud message goes forth that requires the meturganim (interpreter)... as a general rule... God have mercy on someone!

God Bless and much brotherly love,

-Robert

2004/3/12 9:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy