SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : To Those Born 1930-1979

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

To Those Born 1930-1979

To Those Born 1930-1979

(a friend sent me this, thought some of you might enjoy it. bub)

READ TO THE BOTTOM FOR QUOTE OF THE MONTH BY JAY LENO, EVEN IF YOU DON'T READ ANYTHING ELSE---VERY WELL STATED

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because,
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computer! s, no Internet or chat rooms.......
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them.CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good.
While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

The quote of the month is by Jay Leno:
"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

For those that prefer to think that God is not watching over us...go ahead and delete this.
For the rest of us...pass this on.

2007/2/15 12:41
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: To Those Born 1930-1979

Thanks, bub. That brought back some good memories.

2007/2/15 13:39Profile

Re:

... it's a miracle that I'm still alive...

Krispy

2007/2/15 13:41
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

This warm article brought back some nice childhood memories. Thank you.

2007/2/15 16:53Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

yep those were the good old days.... :)

2007/2/15 16:56Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

don't want to pop anyones bubble but if you read this and have a sibling /child that has died or been seriously injured because of not wearing seat belts or helmets, I think they would not see it in the same light. I buckle my kids in the car not cos the government says I have to but because I care about my kids,

I know the leaders go too far some times and change their mind often on what is good for us, but we are to be responsible people, not because the authorities say it but because we should show our loved ones how God loves us by doing what's best for them.

I think those of us who survived did so inspite of the carefreeness of the past not because of it. :-(

2007/2/15 17:15Profile

Re:

I am so thankful to have grown up in that era, what memories!!

2007/2/15 17:16
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I was born in 1981.
I had no TV. So I played outside and read.
Isnt better to be concentrating on the present rather than the past.
What we forget is that alot of bad things happened then aswell. To me it could almost be sin because you do not want to experience happy times now.
Should not we be focusing on a future happy time in heaven.
As everything that will be shaken, will be shaken.
Are we not serving a heavenly kingdom than a earthly one.

2007/2/15 19:37Profile
Afrikitty

Hello bubbaguy,
I just LOVED this posting! :-D

I was born in 1953 and my children were born in 1974 and 1977 respectively. We only got TV in South Africa in 1976, and it was not until my own children were in their first decade of life that we ourselves got a TV. This posting brought back so many memories. However, even though my children got to know the TV box so late in life, it has taken over and the difference in them to previous generations is mind numbing.

I have four step children aged 23, 20, 17 and 14 respectively. I live in America now with my new husband. The 17 year old and the 14 year old play video games every single spare second they have. The 17 year old has called his step-mother the "B" word. But his sisters call their friends that word too then they wonder why their brothers have no respect for a woman.

One day, this 17 year old came to me and asked me "Is it true that one of the commandments says "you must not steal?" I was dumbstruck! So was he when I told him the answer was "yes". The look on his face would have been comical had it not been so tragic.

So, they took prayer out of the schools in America in the 1960's and they wonder why the kids are killing each other now. No Bibles allowed in schools either and no talking about Jesus either on school campuses. You can talk about God all you like, just don't talk about Jesus. And don't say "God bless you." If Jesus was living now I can picture him standing over the capital of this once great country and he would saying "Oh America, America, how I have longed to take you under my wings as a hen does her chicks, but you will not." Jesus would also be weeping.

I can't stand the thought of Jesus weeping. It hurts me in a place I can't describe. He died for us. Wasn't that enough, yet we trample him under foot again and again, then we quickly pray when aircraft plough into the Twin Towers in New York. Then everybody wants to be buried in a church. Why? They said the church was full of hypocrits while they were alive. Oh America, America, wake up!

I saw a movie some time ago starring Bruce Willis. The film was called "Tears of the Sun". In this film, there is a scene where the priest at a mission said something to the Marines who were taking the American doctor out of the mission. The priest and the nuns decided to stay behind with the people and were subsequently murdered by the religous rebels. But the priest sent Bruce Willis and his squad away from the mission with the words "God go with you". One of the other soldiers chirped back "God's aleady left Africa". Bruce Willis said "Yeah". If you doubt the veracity of the events told of in that film, you live in a dream world. Be careful America that you don't one day hear God say to you "Your will be done" if you don't heed his request of you that "My will be done". America, we only have our military might right now that is stopping us from going the same way Africa has gone. Christians in America...wake up!!!

Jesus invested His life in YOU. Have you shown any interest? :-)

2007/2/15 20:30Profile

Re:

Afrikitty,

thanks for your post. for three years in the early 1980s i was a US peace corps volunteer in Lesotho. i traveled, hitchhiking, to Malawi and back once and, in general, got to know the peoples of southern africa. (if any of you SIers have not seen The Gods Must Be Crazy, I highly recommend it, as it gives insight into the cultural differences that separate westerners from indigenous people.)

upon returning to the US in 1984 and attending school in Boston i was shocked by the homelessness and incredible waste produced by american society. there was no homelessness in Lesotho and everything possible got put to good use and then was reused.

american's wealth and lack of appreciation for all that God has given us is creating a pool of filth (the polluted environment and corrupted, spoiled rotten people) and we are now drowning in it. bub

2007/2/16 11:57

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy