SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Father/husband.... how to be one?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Father/husband.... how to be one?

I'm right now in a study of how to be a godly Father and husband.

Ive written down some questions i want answers to from the bible, I'm looking for verses to meditate and pray about. I know there are many and i have many finds already, but its always good to get others peoples thoughts and views and "tips" on things.

some of the questions i want answers to is.

1. What is a Fathers/husbands responsibilities?

2. What is a Fathers/husbands purpose?

3. what is the Fathers/husbands roll in the family?

4. how should his relationship be toward the family ? the world? congregation?

5. what is a fathers/husbands duties?

6. what does God command fathers/husbands to do/be like?

7. what should a father/husbands not do/be like?

please feel free to add some questions and please give some scriptures and so on, any help is much appreciated

Christian

2007/2/15 3:09Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re: Father.... how to be one?

just some more thoughts...

Ephesians 5:28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

5:29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

this word "nourisheth" meens we should nourish our wifes as Jesus nourish us, that is simple to understand, but then i look at other bible verses where i read about how the lord "nourish" his people....

Isaiah 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.

and

Ezekiel 34:14 I will feed them in a good pasture, and upon the high mountains of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie in a good fold, and in a fat pasture shall they feed upon the mountains of Israel. 15 I will feed my flock, and I will cause them to lie down, saith the Lord GOD.

and also

ezekiel 34:27 And the tree of the field shall yield her fruit, and the earth shall yield her increase, and they shall be safe in their land, and shall know that I am the LORD, when I have broken the bands of their yoke, and delivered them out of the hand of those that served themselves of them.

its just strikes me im far far far from the husband i should be,

2007/2/15 5:42Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Quote:
1. What is a Fathers/husbands responsibilities?

I'm thinking about being a godly husband, too.
How to love my wife? What does it mean?
I just look at Jesus and see what He has done or what He is doing.

One thing He is doing now is to intercede for us before our heavenly Father.
This is our responsibility, too. We have to pray for our wives all the time.

Quote:
It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Romans8:34

Another thought... Our Lord, Jesus Christ lives in our heart by His Spirit. The Spirit of Christ is very kind... whenever we are wrong He doesn't crush us... but He speaks in our heart, He tries to convince us if we are on a wrong path.

Are we like His Spirit?
Do we raise our voice and yell at our wives when we see something wrong? We have to speak the truth but in love!

Quote:
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart Matthew 11:29

2007/2/15 7:00Profile
5nva

Re:

I'm sure there are many more qualified men on here than myslef, but I have been a father and husband for nearly 20 years now. I have been a Christian for about half of that so I oly have 10 years of learning under my belt.

What I have learned and am learning more and more every day is to be gentle and patient. Always admit when you are wrong and have sinned. Allow your wife to be your helpmate and consider her opinions.

I suggest that every husband and wife read the book called The Christian Family by Larry Christenson. You can find several copies on ebay. David Wilkerson spoke highly of it. My wife and I have read it and intend to read it more.

God bless,
Mike

2007/2/15 8:30Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

You may find these sermons from Denny Kenaston helpful

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=7314]The Godly Home - The Heart of the father Must Turn[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=7319]The Godly Home - Father the Anointed Teacher[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=7326]The Godly Home - Where Are the Men?[/url]

Actually you and your wife may want to listen to the whole Godly Home series (28 sermons in all), they have been a blessing to me.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/2/15 8:41Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

I have them on my computer :-) , but fist i want to "dive in" into the word of God for my self, read , pray ,re-read pray, ponder , meditate... look for more passages, write down my thoughts.. then i go listen to a sermon...do it all over again... :-P

2007/2/15 8:51Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
I have them on my computer , but fist i want to "dive in" into the word of God for my self, read , pray ,re-read pray, ponder , meditate... look for more passages, write down my thoughts.. then i go listen to a sermon...do it all over again...

Outstanding! You may find this helpful in your studies, this is from Torrey's topical textbook entry on parents...

[b]Parents[/b]

Receive their children from God
Gen_33:5; 1Sa_1:27; Psa_127:3;

THEIR DUTY TO THEIR CHILDREN IS
To love them
Tit_2:4;

To bring them to Christ
Mat_19:13; Mat_19:14;

To train them up for God
Pro_22:6; Eph_6:4;

To instruct them in God's word
Deu_4:9; Deu_11:19; Isa_38:19;

To tell them of God's judgments
Joe_1:3;

To tell them of the miraculous works of God
Exo_10:2; Psa_78:4;

To command them to obey God
Deu_32:46; 1Ch_28:9;

To bless them
Gen_48:15; Heb_11:20;

To pity them
Psa_103:13;

To provide for them
Job_42:15; 2Co_12:14; 1Ti_5:8;

To rule them
1Ti_3:4; 1Ti_3:12;

To correct them
Pro_13:24; Pro_19:18; Pro_23:13; Pro_29:17; Heb_12:7;

Not to provoke them
Eph_6:4; Col_3:21;

Not to make unholy connections for them
Gen_24:1-4; Gen_28:1; Gen_28:2;

Wicked children, a cause of grief to
Pro_10:1; Pro_17:25;

SHOULD PRAY FOR THEIR CHILDREN
For their spiritual welfare
Gen_17:18; 1Ch_29:19;

When in temptation
Job_1:5;

When in sickness
2Sa_12:16; Mar_5:23; Joh_4:46; Joh_4:49;

When Faithful
Are blessed by their children
Pro_31:28;

Leave a blessing to their children
Psa_112:2; Pro_11:21; Isa_65:23;

Sins of, visited on their children
Exo_20:5; Isa_14:20; Lam_5:7;

Negligence of, sorely punished
1Sa_3:13;

WHEN WICKED
Instruct their children in evil
Jer_9:14; 1Pe_1:18;

Set a bad example to their children
Eze_20:18; Amo_2:4;

Good - Exemplified
Abraham
Gen_18:19;

Jacob
Gen_44:20; Gen_44:30;

Joseph
Gen_48:13-20;

Mother of Moses
Exo_2:2; Exo_2:3;

Manoah
Jdg_13:8;

Hannah
1Sa_1:28;

David
2Sa_18:5; 2Sa_18:33;

Shunammite
2Ki_4:19; 2Ki_4:20;

Job
Job_1:5;

Mother of Lemuel
Pro_31:1;

Nobleman
Joh_4:49;

Lois and Eunice
2Ti_1:5;

Bad - Exemplified
Mother of Micah
Jdg_17:3;

Eli
1Sa_3:13;

Saul
1Sa_20:33;

Athaliah
2Ch_22:3;

Manasseh
2Ch_33:6;

Herodias
Mar_6:24;

2007/2/15 9:08Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

thanks alot! those really helped

i found thease to

Marriage

Divinely instituted — Ge 2:24.

A covenant relationship — Mal 2:4.

Designed for
The happiness of man. — Ge 2:18.

Increasing the human population. — Ge 1:28; 9:1.

Raising up godly seed. — Mal 2:15.

Preventing fornication. — 1Co 7:2.

The expectation of the promised seed of the woman an incentive to, in the early age — Ge 3:15;
4:1.

Lawful in all — 1Co 7:2,28; 1Ti 5:14.

Honourable for all — Heb 13:4.

Should be only in the Lord — 1Co 7:39.

Expressed by
Joining together. — Mt 19:6.

Making affinity. — 1Ki 3:1.

Taking to wife. — Ex 2:1.

Giving daughters to sons, and sons to daughters. — De 7:3; Ezr 9:12.

Indissoluble during the joint lives of the parties — Mt 19:6; Ro 7:2,3; 1Co 7:39.

Early introduction of polygamy — Ge 4:19.

Contracted in patriarchal age with near relations — Ge 20:12; 24:24; 28:2.

Often contracted by parents for children — Ge 24:49-51; 34:6,8.

Should be with consent of parents — Ge 28:8; Jdj 14:2,3.

Consent of the parties necessary to — Ge 24:57,58; 1Sa 18:20; 25:41.

Parents might refuse to give their children in — Ex 22:17; De 7:3.

The Jews
Forbidden to contract, with their near relations. — Le 18:6.

Forbidden to contract with idolaters. — De 7:3,4; Jos 23:12; Ezr 9:11,12.

Often contracted with foreigners. — 1Ki 11:1; Ne 13:23.

Sometimes guilty of polygamy. — 1Ki 11:1,3.

Careful in contracting for their children. — Ge 24:2,3; 28:1,2.

Betrothed themselves some time before. — De 20:7; Jdj 14:5,7,8; Mt 1:18.

Contracted when young. — Pr 2:17; Joe 1:8.
Often contracted, in their own tribe. — Ex 2:1; Nu 36:6-13; Lu 1:5,27.

Obliged to contract with a brother’s wife who died without seed. — De 25:5; Mt 22:24.

Considered being debarred from, a reproach. — Isa 4:1.

Considered being debarred from, a cause of grief. — Jdj 11:38.

Often punished by being debarred from. — Jer 7:34; 16:9; 25:10.

Were allowed divorce from, because of hardness of their hearts. — De 24:1; Mt 19:7,8.

Exempted from going to war immediately after. — De 20:7.

Priest not to contract, with divorced or improper persons — Le 21:7.

The high priest not to contract, with a widow or a divorced or profane person — Le 21:14.

Contracted at the gate and before witnesses — Ru 4:1,10,11.

Modes of demanding women in — Ge 24:3,4; 34:6,8; 1Sa 25:39,40.

Elder daughters usually given in, before the younger — Ge 29:26.

A dowry given to the woman’s parents before — Ge 29:18; 34:12; 1Sa 18:27,28; Ho 3:2.

Celebrated
With great rejoicing. — Jer 33:11; Joh 3:29.

With feasting. — Ge 29:22; Jdj 14:10; Mt 22:2,3; Joh 2:1-10.

For seven days. — Jdj 14:12.

A benediction pronounced after — Ge 24:60; Ru 4:11,12.

The bride
Received presents before. — Ge 24:53.

Given a handmaid at. — Ge 24:59; 29:24,29.

Adorned with jewels for. — Isa 49:18; 61:10.

Gorgeously apparelled. — Ps 45:13,14.

Attended by bridesmaids. — Ps 45:9.

Stood on the right of bridegroom. — Ps 45:9.

Called to forget her father’s house. — Ps 45:10.

The bridegroom
Adorned with ornaments. — Isa 61:10.

Attended by many friends. — Jdj 14:11; Joh 3:29.

Presented with gifts. — Ps 45:12.

Crowned with garlands. — Song 3:11.

Rejoiced over the bride. — Isa 62:5.

Returned with the bride to his house at night. — Mt 25:1-6.

Garments provided for guests at — Mt 22:12.

Infidelity of those contracted in, punished as if married — De 22:23,24; Mt 1:19.

Illustrative of
God’s union with the Jewish nation. — Isa 54:5; Jer 3:14; Ho 2:19,20.

Christ’s union with his church. — Eph 5:23,24,32.

2007/2/15 16:33Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

How can man sin no more?

God took the only way, by placing Himself in the Person of Jesus Christ in the believer. He tried it many ways, Adam was completely innocent, that did not work, God tried by mans own conscience to choose for himself, that did not work, He tried government, that did not work and still doesn't, He allowed man every avenue to please Him, and do what is right, none of them worked, He even tried Law, that only made it worse, it killed the whole of creation.

God has now done the only thing He could do to redeem man and the whole world. He made a man who was God at the same time and by the shedding of His blood, the remission of sin was capable of being accomplished. Now there is only one thing we can do to receive the forgiveness of sin, that is to believe God.

Then to continue the salvation of His created beings, He decided to give those that believe the only chance they would have, that is birthing That Man, also Being God Himself, Jesus Christ in each of those that would believe what He has done and that this Man, Jesus Christ who was God and Man would be the only hope each believer would ever have to become pleasing to God. He in giving each one that would believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, this Son born again in each believer would become sons and daughters themselves.

Now we in this flesh who have been quickened by the Spirit of God and Christ Jesus Himself, we being new creatures have the capacity to be what God created us to be, that is a Christ Person, a Christ-one, a Christian. Husbands can now learn how to love their wives by the Christ that is in them. Fathers can learn to love their children by the Christ that is in them. We can learn to love each other by the Christ that is in them. Jesus Christ is the only "Hope of Glory", we have in this world.

If we want to be betters Husbands and Fathers and lovers of each other, we must seek the only One that is capable of accomplishing it. That is "Christ in you the Hope of Glory". "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and He will direct your path", even in our stumbling He will never let us down.

Husbands, love your wife the same way Jesus Christ loves us and gave Himself for us and is now our life. Let us all fall on our knees before our families and church and seek Him and let all know we are God's family and we will learn to be loving and giving as God Our Father Loves us and Gave His Son for us. "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you".

We don't need more ways of learning how to love our families, we need more of Him and we will become to them what He is to them and the whole world will see the love in God as displayed before the world in the Glory of God in us.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/2/15 16:35Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Quote:

Christinyou wrote:

We don't need more ways of learning how to love our families, we need more of Him and we will become to them what He is to them and the whole world will see the love in God as displayed before the world in the Glory of God in us.

In Christ: Phillip

thats the truth brother,

but i do need to learn what God have said about raising children, and to my chock Ive found that most things we do is wrong according to Gods word, or what i do is wrong. My thinking my acting my whole way of life is so influenced by the western culture and way of thinking, even thou I'm saved I'm still have much of that left, God is dealing what those issues in my life and I'm starting to see what he says about raising a child..and to my discovery it is as far away from what most people say about raising children...even what Christians say about raising children

2007/2/15 16:52Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy