SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Anyone a high school teacher?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
allhavsinned

North West England

Anyone a high school teacher?

Quick question, though I'm in England so it may only be relevant over here;I'm an engineer and I am going to be made redundant at the end of 2008 and I'm looking for a career change, would you advise teaching High school? or should I not spend the 2 or more years studying and do something I already know what to do?

I am leaving it in God's hands but that doesn't mean that I should sit on my rear end and wait for Him to give me a job.
If He closes this door I'll look elsewhere.

Thanks

Ste

2007/2/13 17:06Profile

Re: Anyone a high school teacher?

I'm going to surprise some people here... since my wife and I are big proponents of homeschooling... but perhaps the Lord IS calling you to teach high school. While I do not ever recommend public schools for Christian children, I think it is a wonderful mission field for Christian teachers. The only problem I would have myself is if I was forced to teach something that I know to be utterly false... such as evolution.

But if the thought has crossed your mind, perhaps it's a thought that the Lord has planted there.

Mind if I ask what type of engineering you do that will be obsolete next year? I know technology is moving fast, but wow...

Krispy

2007/2/13 17:12
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

It's not the engineering it's the fact that in easteren Europe they work for a week what they pay us for an hour!

I realise what you said and I too fell the tug, but it's such a jump, I want as much input as I can find. Actually if I'm honest, I'm wanting people to say 'hay I started teaching and it's the best job in the world!' rather than 'I've been teaching for 5 years and I'm trying hard to get out of it!'

If God wants me in this, he'll have to alow me to survive on about 20% of my current earnings.

The future's looking interesting... ;-)

2007/2/13 17:33Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
would you advise teaching High school?

First question: Do you enjoy teaching? And do you love youth? If you don't then do not go into teaching. If you do, then by all means consider it. It is a wonderful gift to society - to influence our youth for good.

My husband is a highschool teacher (music) Actually he made a career change 3 years ago. It just happened that way. (a long story of God's goodness) He loves it, because he loves the kids. He pours out his heart for them. But he hates the nonsense red-tape and beurocracy.

Actually he was a teacher several years ago and quit because it wasn't going well. He became a piano technician. So really, he just went back to a former career - it's much better for him this time.

Diane

2007/2/13 19:22Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

Thanks Diane, yes, I've worked with youth since I was 15 (23 years) 8-12's most recently but teenagers for more than 10 years, though mostly in a church youth group. I spent 3 years 'policing' older teens at an open council run group but that's the other extreme.

What am I heading into if I teach teens in schools now-a-days?

I do love working with young people but the 'red tape' does worry me.

I'm hoping that my age and worldly wiseness will help me, as opposed to those young teachers who come out of University into schools and bomb out after a few months of pulling their hair out.

2007/2/13 20:33Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re: Anyone a high school teacher?

I am not a high school teacher but I am the computer technician in a New Jersey high school. I have been here almost six years and I love it! I know all the teachers, a few who are christian, and they love it also from what I have heard. I say go for it.
GOD B less
John

2007/2/14 13:44Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy